PDA

View Full Version : tips or hints

redrabbit
11-20-2008, 01:00 PM
hey guys. im new to the whole atv thing and im really excited about gettin into this. i just bought a 2000 model 400ex from a friend. is there any tips or hints or tricks about this specific atv i should know that it would make wheeling easier. thanks

11-20-2008, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by redrabbit
hey guys. im new to the whole atv thing and im really excited about gettin into this. i just bought a 2000 model 400ex from a friend. is there any tips or hints or tricks about this specific atv i should know that it would make wheeling easier. thanks

If you just got into the sport, I wouldn't try anything like that until you get a feel for the quad and get a little more experience under your belt.

Don't rush yourself to do wheelies and such.

When the time comes you feel you're comfortable, just put the right foot in the grab bar and kneel on the seat, and give it hell. Learn where the balance point is. You WILL go back at least once.

11-20-2008, 02:18 PM
i think he meant wheeling as in riding, not doing wheelies.

the 400ex is a good quad for a beginner as long as you have some respect for it. with that being said...depending on how much $$$ you want to spend, you can make it a lot easier by upgrading the whole suspension or just parts. before you get into any of that though, i suggest making sure yourself and the machine are protected with a good helmet, gloves, and goggles. although pants and a jersey are not necessary, they make riding more comfortable. my feeling is that boots are necessary, bit others may disagree. i will say that i have come to that conclusion after wearing boots and having them save me from a broken ankle.

i am going to assume(i know, i know) that the bike is in close to stock form.

minimum protections for the ride would be a chassis skid and a swing arm skid.

now we can make the ex better for you...get a steering stabilizer, for casual riding, the stick style will do. then i would suggest a re-valve of the rear shock and the gt thunder linkage. without that, you will notice a rear end buck that will scare the crapolla out of you the first time it happens. then that will almost require a better front shocks...a good set of aftermarket or even 450r take off shocks will make a world of difference in the handling. once it handles better it will be easier to ride...

Brauap
11-20-2008, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by DMC-4OOEX
If you just got into the sport, I wouldn't try anything like that until you get a feel for the quad and get a little more experience under your belt.

Don't rush yourself to do wheelies and such.

When the time comes you feel you're comfortable, just put the right foot in the grab bar and kneel on the seat, and give it hell. Learn where the balance point is. You WILL go back at least once.

Put your left foot on the grab bar, so you can use your right for the rear brake.. as you get better, find the ballancing point, and need to change gears, then put your right foot up, but remember, do it that way and you got back too far, there isn't any way to pring it back down. Your done for.

honda_runner
11-21-2008, 01:22 PM
Wheelies will come naturally... learn the clutch/gas.. and you will feel very comfortable.

Took me about 2 weeks before I was riding wheelies up and down my block.. hehe

Honda#4
11-21-2008, 04:34 PM
I agree with DMC, quads are not meant to be taken lightly either the minute you turn ur back on them they'll hurt you.

hypersnyper6947
11-21-2008, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by Honda#4
I agree with DMC, quads are not meant to be taken lightly either the minute you turn ur back on them they'll hurt you.

Thats for sure, as soon as you loose respect for it or get to comfortable it will show you who's boss, not you

As far as wheelies go, my suggestion is do them in first gear only and use the back brake to help you from going over, forget that foot on the grab bar crap. Once you can master the slow first gear wheelie you can move on to shifting gears. I say first only because its hard to crash bad and hurt yourself or the quad in first gear.