PDA

View Full Version : Levers???

SteveWR450F
11-19-2008, 07:45 PM
What does the clutch perch assembly do? I see a clutch cable and parking brake line. But is the perch connected to any electronics, such as telling quad when clutch engaged?

For Xmas, was thinking of getting girlfriend a new set of levers for 05 TRX 400. She has smaller hands and really likes how my ASV levers fit her hand on my bike. I dont think ASV levers are an option because I think they require there own perch. That why I was wondering if I got rid of the OEM perch assembly what else would I loose except the parking brake?

Has anyone installed ASV levers on TRX 400? Any other levers that work in stock perch but are shorter and fit a smaller hand better?

I started this Xmas mess. Got her flex bars. She really loves those. Now I got to figure out the rest. Thanks your time.

Pipeless416
11-19-2008, 08:03 PM
i have an ASV clutch perch and lever. if you haven't already ditched the parking break, do it and don't look back. as far as wiring, you are correct about the clutch. there are two wires that go to the stock perch. snip them and fuse them together. just don't try starting in gear without the clutch pulled in! ;)

drew416ex
11-19-2008, 08:08 PM
It would also make it where the quad would start in gear with the clutch engaged. Right now there is a switch that prevents that when the clutch is disengaged and the quads in gear. All you have to do is cut the wires and tie them together, but like I said it will start in gear when that is done.

buck440
11-19-2008, 08:20 PM
i just put on a new clutch deal on and the only problem was the two wires in the perch going to a black clicker thing but i just cut the wires and got the metal wires to show and twisted them together and taped them away, but i also dont have head lights, neutral lights, key switch, so i dont know if it will mess with any of that but i dont think it will, but the wires can always be put back together if needed. :cool: oh yah you can put an asv lever on the front brakes for like 70 and a new clutch perch and lever for 60ish hope that helps

dariusld
11-19-2008, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by buck440
oh yah you can put an asv lever on the front brakes for like 70 and a new clutch perch and lever for 60ish hope that helps

I paid $20 for my refurb ASV clutch lever on Ebay.

bry14661
11-19-2008, 09:19 PM
what about brake levers? the top portion of that aluminium perch is broke right on top behind the bolt that goes down through the lever. and of course replacing that means the hydraulic tank and piston and all. any suggestions on that?

mooseracerX
11-20-2008, 06:33 AM
I have some F3 levers for sale, less than a year old.
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&postid=3379743

SteveWR450F
11-20-2008, 07:44 PM
Thanks everyone for your input. Looks like switching over to ASV levers will work out. Last question that my girlfriend is concerned with: if I snip the two wires and fuse them together, will she loose neutral or reverse lights?

She really likes those damn lights. I just got her flex bars with sweet trail tech bar clamps and dash that hold the lights. Help please . . .

I promise I wont ask any more stupid questions but need to make girlfriend comfortable with the decision?

Pipeless416
11-20-2008, 07:46 PM
nope, all she'll lose is the protection from starting while in gear. if she hits the start button and she doesn't have the clutch pulled in, the whole bike will lurch forward.. definitely not good.

SteveWR450F
11-20-2008, 07:55 PM
Thank you. I just send you a PM but you already answered my question. Thanks again for your time. Steve

11-20-2008, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by Pipeless416
nope, all she'll lose is the protection from starting while in gear. if she hits the start button and she doesn't have the clutch pulled in, the whole bike will lurch forward.. definitely not good.

it will do that with the stock lever if you hot wire the quad. kinda scary i had my kill switch off and everything and it cranked once and lurched forward. it was a wtf moment. its really easy to hot wire the things its scary once you know how because its so simple maes your quad feel unsafe sitting somewhere