PDA

View Full Version : 450ER Cold Start Issue...

Ocnaj
11-19-2008, 04:41 PM
Hello all, I have an 07 450ER that is very tempermental when it gets colder outside. Sometimes it takes as long as 10 minutes for it to fire it up and by that time my battery is near dead.

What would cause this?

pitsrule
11-19-2008, 07:38 PM
My ER is the same way. When it is warm out for the first start I choke it and give the throttle one pump. The accelerator pump will shoot a small amount of fuel in the intake and once you crank the engine over (no more throttle) it will fire. Usually do this twice until it will run on its own. When it is cold out I do the same thing but pump the throttle twice and it usually fires up. Just remember to only pump the throttle before you crank the engine over and never while your cranking the engine. When it is cold you may have to do this three or four times before it will continue to run on its own.

Using the throttle while cranking the engine can cause weird kick back in the engine and cause starter damage. The ERs are just weird about that and if I wouldnt have gotten an 06 with less than 10 hours on it for 3500 i would have bought a kicker. But you cant pass up a deal:D

Ocnaj
11-20-2008, 12:29 AM
I usually don't even have to pump the gas at all for it to fire up. I never use the throttle during cranking. Is there a different spark plug I can use for the winter?

I couldn't pass up my deal either. I got my 07 ER for 15% off brand new.:)

pitsrule
11-20-2008, 07:12 AM
Pumping the throttle is only for the first start of that day. After that it fires up on its own. As far as plugs go im not sure. My ER is stock (cough) just like yours. :D I havnt done any research on plugs yet. Ive only had mine for about 2 months now and wih the hours that are on it, its not neccessary to change the plug yet.

Ocnaj
11-20-2008, 11:45 AM
Has it ever given you any trouble when its cold out though? The only thing that is done to mine is an hrc kit, absolutely nothing else. It runs very well and I have yet to be defeated by other 450s.

pitsrule
11-20-2008, 12:53 PM
I have not had one problem with mine at all. It runs good, but it needs an HRC kit badly. It is just hard to start when it is cold. But the two pump trick always works for me. Did you notice a huge difference between stock and the HRC kit?

Ocnaj
11-20-2008, 02:17 PM
You would not believe the difference. IT IS HUGE. The other day I rode my friend's bone stock 08 R and it felt slow compared to mine. My front end comes up in every gear without it missing a beat. Then again my friends always tell me I have a freak.

440challenger
11-22-2008, 05:42 AM
intake valves are tight.