PDA

View Full Version : Xtreme 125 shifter & thumb throttle help

Shorty700Raptor
11-19-2008, 04:15 PM
I have a 2007 Xtreme 125 and my son is having some issues with how hard the thumb throttle is to push and the shifter is too hard for him to shift. I have heard you can use other thumb throttles, which would be the easiest for an 8 yr old to push? I also heard you can change the springs on the shifter for it to shift easier, can someone tell me a part # or what year/make bike I can order one for? Thanks for any help!

Shorty700Raptor
11-19-2008, 04:37 PM
I have a thumb throttle for a 1986 Honda 250R laying around...does anyone know if this will work? Will it be easy or is there one that will work and be easier? Thanks for any help!

quadinfamily
11-19-2008, 04:56 PM
hi try cutting the spring in the carb a little at a time , as far as the shifter use one off a blaster it a lot longer and bolt right on.

Shorty700Raptor
11-19-2008, 05:08 PM
Ok thanks for the info!

ccdhowell
11-19-2008, 06:49 PM
The honda throttle will fit, I put one on my daughter's 90, much better leverage. Take the return spring out of the throttle. Also cut the slide spring on the carb like the previous post said.

Shorty700Raptor
11-19-2008, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by ccdhowell
The honda throttle will fit, I put one on my daughter's 90, much better leverage. Take the return spring out of the throttle. Also cut the slide spring on the carb like the previous post said.

About how much of the spring should I cut off? how many turns? Do I cut it in half or just cut a couple turns off the one inside of the carb? He's also having problems with the shifter being too stiff, I heard you can put different springs in the case/shifter to make it shift easier. Do you know anything about that? Thanks!

Ride1Rob
11-19-2008, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by Shorty700Raptor
About how much of the spring should I cut off? how many turns? Do I cut it in half or just cut a couple turns off the one inside of the carb? He's also having problems with the shifter being too stiff, I heard you can put different springs in the case/shifter to make it shift easier. Do you know anything about that? Thanks!

As far as the carb spring for the throttle, cut a couple of coils at a time, place back in and see how it feels. Keep cutting in increments of two until you get the desired feel. But don't cut too much. I think I cut 5 coils off of my sons spring and it's soft like an Apex throttle. Now for the shifter. These bikes are really tite when new. If you put alil time on it you'll see that the motor will start to loosen up and it becomes pretty easy to shift. My son wasn't able to shift very well at first either. After about a month he was shifting better and about two months it was no problem.

learn to ride
11-19-2008, 10:30 PM
you could also get a heel toe shifter. thats what i
put on my son's 125 and he loves it compared to just the toe:)

Shorty700Raptor
11-20-2008, 03:06 PM
Thanks for all the info!

Where can I get a heel toe shifter? He really needs one of those.

JBOYZ
11-24-2008, 11:22 AM
Many of the heel-toe shifters do not work on the Typhoon. I got all of mine from www.jetmotousa.com - it worked great...
or you can get it from www.racewayatv.com

A thumb buddy (throttle extender) also helps out - allows the kid to also use part of their hand - helps w/ fatigue also...