PDA

View Full Version : thumb throttle vs. twist throttle??

trailrider894
11-18-2008, 08:22 PM
so i'm thinking about upgrading from a thumb throttle to a twist throttle on my 400ex?? what are the ups and downs about twist throttles?? and should i even do it?

icepreddy
11-26-2008, 04:07 PM
my opinion on the twist throttle is that they are deadly. I've been riding quads for years and dirtbike's as well. but you put a twist throttle on a quad and it's deadly. Been there done that. I wouldn't waste your money

tri5ron
11-27-2008, 12:20 PM
Everyone has their own preferences,
I prefer a twist throttle, and have not found it to be dangerous. the thumb throttle makes my thumb sore, and my hand cramp very quickly.

My Wife, on the other hand, prefers the thumb throttle. Especially after I modified it with a longer lever, and more comfortable thumb position.

Here's a link to the thumb throttle mod I did for her's.
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=370765&highlight=more+sore+thumb

here's another discussion on the subject..
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=355405&perpage=13&highlight=more%20sore%20thumb&pagenumber=2

IcutMetl
12-14-2008, 04:44 PM
I agree; completely personal preference. I do know that back in the day, I ordered a motion-pro twist kit for my 400ex before I even went to the dealer to pick it up. I found it easier, less hand cramps, easier in cold weather. Some people find it sketchy going over whoops or climbing hills with a twistie, but I personally wouldn't have it any other way and it'll always be the first thing I change.

icepreddy
12-15-2008, 03:16 PM
look into those dual gasser throttles. i think Terry Cable makes them. They're a twist throttle and a thumb throttle. i'm thinking about one for my Ice quad.

sprayedgt
01-02-2009, 05:36 PM
It is personal preference but it also has to do with the type of riding. If you do a lot of open sand or anything hardly technical the twist would be ok. But if you're in the woods trail riding is where it can be deadly. Cut a turn too sharp and catch a rock, branch, or root with one wheel and you're now instantly at full throttle. You'll rocket into a tree or off a hill before you can back out. I don't care how good your reflexes are it'll happen before you could react.

honda400ex2003
03-23-2009, 11:30 PM
I like the thumbs much better, teh twists are dangerous to use. Steve

porscheguy944
04-01-2009, 09:55 PM
I have been riding since 1968 and I have rode trials trails and mx scrambles tt and statium motocross and I have never herd such crap about twist throttles.If they are so dangerous why do they come stock on all GASGAS quads????If they are so unsafe why dont all off road dirt bikes have thumb throttles????It sounds to me like some of you need to get your facts straight.It is all preferance and nothing else.my 2cents.

hondariderdylan
04-02-2009, 06:42 AM
take this situation for example:

going up a steep hill
the quad slows down and starts to dig in
you downshift to get the motor back into the meat of the powerband
the tires grab
the quad starts to go over backwards
you try to hold on but then when you do you stick your twist throttle wide open
quad roll ontop of you and you and the quad roll down the hill and it land on you

thats why they are dangerous

IcutMetl
04-02-2009, 06:58 AM
I think a lot (not all) of people that are so vehemently opposed to twist throttles have the worst possible situations burned into their minds. It may be different on a quad with ungodly power or a super touchy powerband, but I think being "in touch" with your machine helps a lot too.

I blasted up tons of steep, rutted, tree-rooted hills on my 400ex; even some that I didn't make it up, and I never ran into the scenerio of "oh crap, I wish I woulda left my thumb throttle on there!!!" I think if you were Gumby, and had no control over yourself whatsoever, that you'd probably have a lot more problems indeed.

I think all this debate will ever boil down to is there's no right answer. Some people like a twisty, some guys like using their thumb. It's like asking what oil do I use, or what exhaust is "best?" Personally, getting rid of a thumb throttle is one of the first things I'll do; I've always liked a twisty. Just my opinion...but I think there are probably SOME people that speculate and knock it before they've try it.

honda400ex2003
04-02-2009, 08:14 AM
agreed ^^^^ this is an opinion thread just like any other. some like twist some like thumb. steve

redrocker
04-02-2009, 09:25 AM
My wife likes her twist
on her 400ex

Tommy Warren
04-02-2009, 10:02 AM
I was thinking about getting a twist but I watched my friend hit a rut while making a right turn and his predator went ape**** I'm still thinking about getting one tho because when I wheelie for long periods of time my thumb "locks" and gets really sore especially when its cold.

does anybody have any ideas on how to make the thumb throttle easier to push on a 300ex? also i have the same question for the clutch. I think hulk hogan is the only person who could pull my clutch with one or two fingers. I have to grab it and throw my weight back in order to disengage the clutch its bs. 300ex's are reliable but the user friendlyness wears off quickly!

trailrider894
04-02-2009, 10:14 AM
yes there is one thing RIDE MORE!!! i laugh at pansies who complain about there thumb hurting cause they rode all day yesterday!!

tri5ron
04-02-2009, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by Tommy Warren
does anybody have any ideas on how to make the thumb throttle easier to push on a 300ex? Here's what I did for my wifes quad.
She is much happier, and more comfortable with it. No more sore/crampped thumb.
I will also be doing this to my young daughters quad.

Read the captions above each picture,
so that you can see the comparisons, and differences of the lever angles...

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=370765&highlight=sore+thumb

FarmerTed
04-02-2009, 11:52 AM
Porscheguy944 nailed it. Twist throttles are only dangerous for people that don't know how to ride with them. There are no dirt bikes that come with thumb throttles and a number of riding styles are more technical than what folks do on their quads. Trials riding can be CRAZY.

If all you've ridden with is a thumb throttle then a twist is going to feel weird and you'll have to learn proper technique. That doesn't mean the twist throttle itself is dangerous, the rider is due to inexperience.

I have a twist on my 400EX and think it's great. Rocks, ruts, tree roots, hill climbs...no problem and no thumb cramp. :)

Tommy Warren
04-02-2009, 12:14 PM
Thanx for the post *****! I ride every day the weather lets me. If your not gonna help don't bother posting. If you wanna mouth people do it somewhere else where people actually care what you have to say. grow up

thanx tri5ron for your help its nice to know some people actually wanna help!

FarmerTed
04-02-2009, 12:43 PM
If you don't feel like making your own throttle extension, there are always these...

http://www.temeculamotorsports.com/eshopprod_cat_4830-13059_prodtree_183-267-377_product_596229.ADJUSTABLE_THUMB_ASSIST_.htm

http://www.temeculamotorsports.com/eshopprod_cat_4423-28409_prodtree_183-267-377_product_542380.ALL_RITE_PRODUCTS_THUMBUDDY1.ht m

I'll probably get one or the other for my wife when she gets a quad, she doesn't like the twist throttle.

IcutMetl
04-02-2009, 02:56 PM
I'm not sure about making a throttle easier to push, maybe one of those thumb throttle extensions or a lighter spring. One thing that I know will help; especially with the clutch is a cable luber kit- comes with the rubber sealed clamp, spray can of oil, and a red tube- seals off one end of your cable and forces the light spray oil out the other end...it works like majic! I had the same problem on my 400ex after riding thru so much water & dust, etc...I thought it was normal because it had been that way for so long until I lubed 'er up...then it was almost like brand new. Same with my 250r too.

Tommy Warren
04-02-2009, 03:34 PM
how much does that cost? where can I get it? I just put a new throttle cable on, should I lube it anyway?

tri5ron
04-02-2009, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by FarmerTed
If you don't feel like making your own throttle extension, there are always these...

http://www.temeculamotorsports.com/eshopprod_cat_4830-13059_prodtree_183-267-377_product_596229.ADJUSTABLE_THUMB_ASSIST_.htm

http://www.temeculamotorsports.com/eshopprod_cat_4423-28409_prodtree_183-267-377_product_542380.ALL_RITE_PRODUCTS_THUMBUDDY1.ht m

I'll probably get one or the other for my wife when she gets a quad, she doesn't like the twist throttle.

Hi FarmerTed,
I had actually looked at both of those Before deciding to make my own.
I had asked around, and had even posted a different thread, asking members here what they thought about them, if they had used them, did they like them, etc.
here's a link to that thread,
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=352031&highlight=thumb+throttle

the first one you mentioned Does extend the lever farther out, thus giving more leverage, and less required strength in the riders thumb.
But,.. it also makes it necessary for the rider to open their hand farther, which is what was causing most of the cramping, and discomfot issues, for my wife.

as well, I wasn't to fond of that one, due to I felt it was rather bulky, and could possibly be more likely to break off the cast aluminum lever, if it was to get hit by a rock, or a knee, etc.

The second one you posted, I had considered a little more.
It does provide greater leverage to the rider's thumb.
It does make it easier for the rider to push.
and it can be bent to the desired angle, much like the one that I ended up making.
But, I didn't like the whole zip-tie mounting idea. I thought it would be more likely to get loose, and also it extended so far that I was concerned with the breakage issue,if it was to get hit with something.

Most people that have said they have tried the extenders, come back later and say that they ended up removing them, and didn't like them.

So that is what made me decide to make my own.

I felt that by making my own,
I was accomplishing my desired results of more leverage,
and,
a more comfortable thumb position,
and,
a overall stronger lever.

(besides, I think it looks better too...;) :D )

But to each his/her own, ...and using what works best for you/her, and which one makes you happy and comfortable,
is what is most important.

hope this is of help to anyone considering extenders...

another option is also the "Dual Gassers".
one is made by Terry, and I think the other is by Moose.
Ron

IcutMetl
04-02-2009, 05:50 PM
The cable lube kit? I bought mine at my local shop, but they can also be found for just as cheap or cheaper thru Rocky Mountain ATV or similar catalog. You don't 'have to lube a cable before you put it on, but I would anyways just to give it a lil extra protection and smoothness.

baker420ex
07-10-2009, 12:24 PM
i have been thinking of making the conversion to twist throttle on my quad...i can understand why you'd think it could be deadly, or disasterous..(for hills or whatever....) but every dirtbike to my knowledge comes from the factory with a twist throttle and bike owners never consider swapping it for something different.. so how can a quad be that much different? i learned how to ride on a bike before i ever rode on a quad. and i think everybody can agree a quad is more 'stable' than a bike.
i was just wondering if anybody--that has actually done the twist throttle conversion on their quad-- could reccomend the swap in a post....including riding on a challenging terrain (hills,woods,etc)

oh and by the way your hand will stop cramping up as soon as you ride more often..haha

BEAVER.989
07-10-2009, 12:34 PM
It's a matter of body english. When you ride a bike and lean into a corner your hands and arms are still in basically the same position(the bike leans with you) and the twist throttle works great. With an ATV you often have to take your rear right off the seat and lean heavily when pitching it into a hard corner. You can find yourself in some very awkward positions that make it all but impossible to operate a twist throttle comfortably.

hondariderdylan
07-10-2009, 12:38 PM
this is an old thread

NAZ450r
07-18-2009, 01:28 PM
if you ride mx you can get into trouble really quick u blitz a set of whoops and anyone one here that has knows it can be rough as hell or it can be really smooth just depends on the size but if u nose dive a whoop or a landing you hit and your automatically wideopen very bad if your in a set of whoops