PDA

View Full Version : 400 Not Starting!!!

big jimmy t
11-18-2008, 02:58 PM
hey i've never had any problems with my 400 ex. good bike. however, it wasn't starting, so i checked the dipstick, and i was low on oil. i was missing a washer, so that explains it. replaced the washer, changed the oil, and changed the oil filter.

before, when it had low oil, it would turn over, but not actually fire up. it would catch for a bit, and then just die.

now when i go to start it, all it does it make a slight whirring noise down by the tranny. this is freaking me out, cause i'm supposed to go riding this weekend and then thanksgiving at glamis, so i need my baby in running condition.

what is the problem here? thanks in advance for the help.

hoogiesngrinder
11-18-2008, 03:05 PM
sounds like the one way bearing went out

Chuck75
11-18-2008, 03:36 PM
Also sounds like the starter is not engageing what year is it?

big jimmy t
11-18-2008, 04:07 PM
2005. what is the one way bearing?

hoogiesngrinder
11-18-2008, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by Chuck75
Also sounds like the starter is not engageing what year is it?

400ex starters to not engage like automotive starters, they are always connected to the drive gear via an idler gear. The one way bearing engages (locks) when turning counter clockwise and freewheels when spinning clockwise (in relation to crank)

hoogiesngrinder
11-18-2008, 04:51 PM
I forgot that on the 400ex's the one way bearing is referred to as a 'sprag clutch'. You have to remove the left crankcase cover, remove the flywheel so you can inspect the clutch. I highly doubt you sheered a woodruff key but it is possible.