PDA

View Full Version : need help w/stock 400 jet choice

Chuck75
11-18-2008, 02:43 PM
Good day all, Ive got a 2007 400ex stock execpt the sparks key. I ,like others, have problems starting when cold so while I was at my local dealer I inquired about jetting he suggested a stage three kit even though I wasnt planing a n exhuast or intake change untill at least march. I'm wondering if he's out of his mind or just tring to sell parts. any help would be much appriceated. please pardon my speed in answering as I'm at work and may be away from my puter.

hoogiesngrinder
11-18-2008, 03:16 PM
up the pilot jet to a 40 or 42 and try a 150 main jet if the plug is getting white

Chuck75
11-18-2008, 03:33 PM
ok so its pretty much just like car carbs dark plug too rich , white to lean , lite brown just right. any clue about the "stage 3 kit"?

hoogiesngrinder
11-18-2008, 06:25 PM
I wouldn't bother with them. For $15 or less you should be able to get it your carb dialed in using Keihn jets.

Honda10
11-18-2008, 07:25 PM
this is probably going to be a stupid question but w/e I have an 05 400ex and is it true that the needle is not adjustable for the 05 and up?

bigredisb
11-18-2008, 08:55 PM
Yes its true the 05 and up do not have clip positions however you would be fine upping your main to a 150 and pilot to a 40. By upping your main a bit the needle will allow a little more fuel to flow without needing to shim it. This is why some kits have different tapers to the needles I believe. For your mods I would go to a 40 pilot and a 150 main. This is what I have in my 08 and it runs great here in about 20 degrees so far.

hoogiesngrinder
11-18-2008, 09:00 PM
Correct, 05 and up need shimmed to raise the needle. Like said a 40 and 150 should do the trick since Tampa is what, 20ft above sea level?

leasureryan
11-18-2008, 09:51 PM
yeah no need for a 42 on stock bike. 40 is fine, and you may not even want to take the main up that far. The differance from a 190 and a 180 jet made 2.5 more horsepower because the 190 was rich when jetting my 450 carb....just an example of how too much is sometimes too much!

old saying goes...rich is a biitch....lean is mean. You just need to find the sweet spot

and a moose carb kit will give you an adustable needle for $24.95....and you will have spare parts

Honda10
11-19-2008, 05:32 AM
I was just asking cuz I am wishing a K&N for christmas and I want to get individual jets since it is alot cheaper, but what should I do with the needle? No one want to sell me their older modle needle.

Chuck75
11-19-2008, 08:15 AM
Cool thanks! I should be able to get these at the dealer or should I look some where else? I'm fairly new to this and most of the mom and pop shops around here look pretty shady:ermm:

hoogiesngrinder
11-19-2008, 11:47 AM
Any Honda dealer should have the main jets in stock, non of the dealers around me had the pilot in stock, had to order it.

3or4HONDA
11-21-2008, 02:10 PM
i bought the DynoJet kit and was satisfied with it so i would suggest that, but everyone says its junk so idk

rcatvrider
11-21-2008, 03:52 PM
Dynojet kits are fine, just it's alot cheaper to buy the jets individually. Only advantage to the dynojet kit would be the needle taper and adjustment.

It's getting cold here and my 400 starts like crap when it's cold. I was thinking of removing the choke and doing a few other minors mods and going with a 150-152 main with a 42 pilot, sound ok?

Honda10
11-21-2008, 04:02 PM
The only peoblem I see with the dyno jet is that it does not come with any pilot jets that why I am getting individual jets but I need to find an older model needle.

Honda10
11-22-2008, 07:33 AM
question for jetting, if I am putting in a K&N with a outerwears pre filter and airbox lid do I need a 40 pilot jet or a 42, I am planning on getting an HMF slip-on in the future so should I just get both?

leasureryan
11-22-2008, 02:22 PM
never hurts to have to many jets. I work at a dealership, we stock every pilot and every main...although I do realie that most dealers aren't worth a crap...atleast we are...lol. If you guys have problems finding what you need, let me know and I will ship to you.

Dyno jet kits generalize all bikes into 3 kits. Can anyone seriously tell me that there are only 3 jetting combinations??? I mean come on...you guys have to know better than that....right? Is the jetting for an FMF PC$ pipe the same as the jetting for a HMF pipe....no...there is a big differance! If you were to use a stage 2 dynojet kit with an HMF full system, you will run so lean your motor will burn up in just hours....right? or does it matter what elevation and other mods I have done too?....lol....see what I mean, nothing will ever be the same from one quad to the next.

Guy 1....HMF pipe with lid removed...165 main

Guy 2....HMF pipe with lid on....155 main

etc etc etc

jetting is so touchy...and can NOT be generalized into "stages"

YEAH, YOUR BIKE WILL STILL RUN...BUT NOT EVEN CLOSE TO BEING CORRECT!

rcatvrider
11-22-2008, 03:36 PM
Dynojet kits actually include several main jets which they plan on you changing for elevation, but obviously they can be used for changes in airflow too.

leasureryan
11-22-2008, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by rcatvrider
Dynojet kits actually include several main jets which they plan on you changing for elevation, but obviously they can be used for changes in airflow too.

I think you missed my point bro

rcatvrider
11-22-2008, 03:50 PM
I understand what you mean, jetting has alot of variables and can't be put into stages.

3or4HONDA
11-23-2008, 11:20 AM
the stage just suggests what DJ jet to use with whatever mods you have. you still choose which jet you want to run, its not like stage 1 comes with a certain jet, same with 2 and 3 they just categorize the diffent jet/upgrades into stages to make it simple

rcatvrider
11-23-2008, 06:07 PM
Went riding today in about 25 degree weather and my bike would barely start. Had to let it idle at half choke for about 5mins, then went down the road and it was sputtering for a few minutes until it warmed up. Having 20w-50 oil from the hot summer probably doesn't help either. I'll pick up some 10w-40 for the winter and might as well tweak the jetting a bit while I'm at it seeing it was sometimes tough to start even in the summer. I plan to remove the choke, remove the air filter cage, amd I have ground header welds already. With these simple mods what do you think I should jet it with? I was thinking a 150-152 main with a 40 or 42 pilot? I don't plan on buying a new filter or exhaust for a while, just want it to run a little better and gain a bit of performance with the free mods. I want to remove the choke but don't want make winter starting any more difficult which is why i was planning on a pilot as high as a 42.

leasureryan
11-23-2008, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by 3or4HONDA
the stage just suggests what DJ jet to use with whatever mods you have. you still choose which jet you want to run, its not like stage 1 comes with a certain jet, same with 2 and 3 they just categorize the diffent jet/upgrades into stages to make it simple

thats just it bro...jetting isn't simple. They give size 1, 2 , and 3...what if you need size 4. Also, they don't provide pilots. They also use thier own numbers, making things difficult, and for what reason? I will never waste my money on a jet kit, and I suggest none of you guys do either

3or4HONDA
11-24-2008, 06:59 AM
all im sayin is if you have a stock to mildly built motor and you take DJ recommended jet size with your elevation your quad is going to run better. maybe not to its peak performance but unless you plan on putting your bike on a dyno, your never going to get it perfect.

for me personally if i dont have that extra hp that that the best jetting combo is going to give me its not going to kill me, their is always someone faster with more money to burn, conditions change all the time and it wont stay perfect for long especially here

IMO DJ works without the headache.

leasureryan
11-24-2008, 08:33 AM
What headache???????????????????????

Is it honestly that hard to slide down to the dealer and say "hey...I need a 155 Kehin long hex main jet"????????????????

For $4.95....I'd say it"s way more worth my time & money....and you don't have to go using that dumb little conversion chart to match up what jets you have. I mean, the only reason they change the numbers, and style them differantly is to make things difficult, and give it a little more "COWBELL"....go ahead and waste your money....odds are though, you still won't be jetted correctly

3or4HONDA
11-24-2008, 09:00 AM
yes a headache... not atcually getting the jets but getting your bike jetted perfect can and in most cases is a headache.

i get it. you dont like jet kits you have made that annoyingly obvious.

leasureryan
11-24-2008, 09:33 AM
but what you are saying doesn't make sense to me dude. Whats the differance between installing a DJ kit or a Kehin hex? either way, you still have to get into the carb. Your arguement isn't going anywhere

I realize being jetted PERFECT is a headache...jetting combos are always changing

my argument was based on getting the same thing for less....not being jetted perfect

sorry if that annoys you

3or4HONDA
11-24-2008, 09:43 AM
my argument was that if someone isnt educated in jets and dont know where to start a kit may be a way to go... thats it.

i dont know everything about jetting but i used the dj kit and it worked.... the guy wanted options and this is one of them

so best of luck to him in whatever he chooses

i got a 450 carb to install soon so ill need your advice on Kehin jets, your pretty adamant about them so.. you could prolly help me out

leasureryan
11-24-2008, 10:21 AM
I say start with about a 172 or 170 K hex...keep the 48 pilot that comes in it. The 450R carb was the only thing that cured the backfire on decell for me with the HMF full system. No other jetting combo helped with stock carb. You will LOVE the R carb. Your needle will most likely be rich, so lean that out. Just PM me when the time comes. Sorry for being so biast about DJ kits. I just think they are a waste of money and they confuse people

3or4HONDA
11-24-2008, 10:24 AM
SETTLED.

haha.. thanks