PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on 07-09 Chevy/GMC Trucks

xsr_racing28c
11-18-2008, 09:45 AM
Well I'm looking to get a pickup, and pretty much have my mind set on an 07-09 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab pickup. I don't really have much planned for it, I just want something that will be a good daily driver and that is somewhat nice in the same respect.

I'm just looking to get thoughts on the 1500 series trucks, and maybe some insight from those who have them or have had them. I've test driven a couple and fell in love right away, but now its time that i have to make up my mind.

Thanks, Jay

gcart2
11-18-2008, 12:28 PM
This is just my opinion:

the new chevys have one of the ugliest bumpers ever.

However the GMC kept there good looking bumper.

GMC's look better imo. that will be the truck i get after i sell my f-150.

ricksmx865
11-18-2008, 07:24 PM
^^^^^

im the oposite, i love my 08 chevy... but think the grill on my brothers 07 gmc looks down right ugly!

Love the truck tho, i dont have 1 single complaint about it! the moment i drove it i fell in love!

Rich250RRacer
11-18-2008, 07:35 PM
I feel GM took the best looking trucks they had ever made, (especially the 99-07 GMC's) and just threw them away when they designed the abortions that are the 07 and newer trucks. The Chevy is absolutely hideous, almost as ugly as the that mess called the 09 F150. The GMC is a little better and somewhat more appealing. The Chevy and the Ford look like a mass of parts just thrown together, there's no continuity in the body lines. Almost like one guy in California designed the grille and fenders, another in Ohio designed the cab, and a third in New York designed the bed, but none of them talked to each other and they just threw the whole thing together.

It was good to vent, it's a sensitive subject for me. I'll just hold on to my '05 Duramax until they make something I feel is worthy of buying. If they're still around. :devil:

Tommy 17
11-18-2008, 07:44 PM
I've driving a 2007 silverado 1500 ext cab z71 and I LOVE IT!!!! The best truck Ive driven. I also had a 2005 silverado and you can't even compare the 2. The new one handles so much better and is a nicer ride. Not to mention the interior and features blow the older ones out of the water.

Mine has the 330ish 5.3 flex fuel active fuel management motor and I get right around 21 mpg out of it on average. If i drive with a heavy foot I average 19 or so. The motor shutting down 4 cylinders works awesome and you cant even tell its doing it. I know my 05 i was gettin 15 to 17 on a good day.

Its got right around 30,000 miles with zero problems and I can't complain about anything except the snow white interior haha.

elmer91
11-18-2008, 08:55 PM
im a chevy fan, and this body style is not my favorite. they are a good truck, just ugly. With a small lift and bigger tires, it does give it a great look. i have not ridden in either, but have seen them up close. both look nice.

400ex28
11-18-2008, 09:01 PM
My buddy has an 07. i've drove it a couple times, they are nice trucks.

xsr_racing28c
11-18-2008, 09:13 PM
Thank you for the input guys. I am pretty much positive that this is what I'll be getting. I already have 22" wheels picked out and it will probably just get leveling kit because I still have to be able to get the quad in the back.. haha

Thanks, Jay

Tommy 17
11-18-2008, 09:36 PM
For anyone that is wondering why the new chevys look so different and had to change from the awesome old style there is a GOOD reason for it.

I can't say how I know but lets just say I've been doing some work recently for the front end part on a new GM product. Its because of a new standard that the government is making all cars be built by around the year 2011. Its called pedpro which stands for pedestrian protection. The head lights, grill, etc all have to be moved and shaped in a certain way. This is why u see the new LONG skinny head lights on lets say the nissan mini vans or the new chevy cars. The big suvs had to get smaller rectangle lights that are to the outside of the front end to minimize where the pedestrian can get smacked at by it. You have less of a chance now getting hit by the lights with this design. The grills are really big so they buckle when someone is hit by it. They build the hoods to fold in upon impact and your going to see air bags under the hood before long. The hoods are going to push back up over the windshield in a collision also. Its already being done in europe. I never knew how much bull went into the front end of a car for the stupidest reasons on earth. Like for example did you ever notice a SABB has a really beefed up windshield area compared to other cars? The reason for this is so a MOOSE! will not come through the window.

BTW heres my 05 chevy...

brian76708
11-18-2008, 10:28 PM
i hate how much our government regulates automobiles on certain things. I know there trying to help but i think its part of the reasons gmc and other companies are haveing so much trouble because they have to spend so much money making the vehicle up to government specifications.

Toadz400
11-19-2008, 09:14 AM
I drove my dad's '07 or '08 Chevy with the 5.3 Flex Fuel and absolutely loved it! So much power and such a smooth ride. If I hadn't bought my '00 Sierra and my new motorcycle I would've gotten an '08 GMC as I do think they look a lot better than the Chevy's.

BLU82
11-19-2008, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by Tommy 17
For anyone that is wondering why the new chevys look so different and had to change from the awesome old style there is a GOOD reason for it.

I can't say how I know but lets just say I've been doing some work recently for the front end part on a new GM product. Its because of a new standard that the government is making all cars be built by around the year 2011. Its called pedpro which stands for pedestrian protection. The head lights, grill, etc all have to be moved and shaped in a certain way. This is why u see the new LONG skinny head lights on lets say the nissan mini vans or the new chevy cars. The big suvs had to get smaller rectangle lights that are to the outside of the front end to minimize where the pedestrian can get smacked at by it. You have less of a chance now getting hit by the lights with this design. The grills are really big so they buckle when someone is hit by it. They build the hoods to fold in upon impact and your going to see air bags under the hood before long. The hoods are going to push back up over the windshield in a collision also. Its already being done in europe. I never knew how much bull went into the front end of a car for the stupidest reasons on earth. Like for example did you ever notice a SABB has a really beefed up windshield area compared to other cars? The reason for this is so a MOOSE! will not come through the window.

BTW heres my 05 chevy...
Instead of putting airbags under our hoods, why not teach people to not walk in front of moving cars, or teach drivers how not to hit people. It's not rocket science lol

quads14589
11-19-2008, 01:32 PM
i like the new dodges and fords, but if u think about it nothing is made the way they were made about 20-15 yrs ago

hoogiesngrinder
11-19-2008, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by Tommy 17
Mine has the 330ish 5.3 flex fuel active fuel management motor and I get right around 21 mpg out of it on average. If i drive with a heavy foot I average 19 or so. The motor shutting down 4 cylinders works awesome and you cant even tell its doing it. I know my 05 i was gettin 15 to 17 on a good day.

Glad to hear that its working that well! I spent a year at Delphi working on the DEAC machines that assembled the lifters for that system and programing their data acquisition software. GM originally called the system Displacement on Demand (DoD) but later named it Active Fuel Management