PDA

View Full Version : Ergononimics

northwest Texas
11-18-2008, 06:11 AM
I apologize in advance if this has been hashed over and over. I'm not a frequent guy here, particularly in this forum, and I'd really like you guys' honest opinions.

I'm looking for more oomph than what I've got in my EX. It is comparable to a stock 450 but it's to the point of sacrificing reliability (which I don't want to do) to get more power and the law of diminishing returns is in effect as well.

So, I've come across an 07 QRacer. I've never ridden one or even sat on one. Ridden an LTZ400 quite a bit but not the QRacer.

I've heard a little bit that it is cramped? Is that true for a guy that is six foot tall?

I've heard that is the knock on the YFZ's is that they are a little small for the "big" guys.

That's the most important thing to me because if I'm not comfortable on it, I don't want it. I've had several machines that I never could get that way on and I just wish I never had them. I don't have a large group of guys I ride with so basically I've got to test ride one to find out.

Going to my local dealer is not an option. I will not even piss on their head if their hair were on fire so I'm relying on you guys.

I want your honest unbiased opinions. I'm open to any quad. I've also come across what looks like a nice 04 450R with low hours I'm looking at too.

Sorry for the long windedness guys and I will look forward to your good/bad responses.

Thanks,
Kyle

660LE
11-18-2008, 07:40 AM
im 6'2 an the ltr fits me great with some bar risers. i felt way more comfy on a stock ltr then my old yfz

ltrracer
11-18-2008, 12:16 PM
im 6'1" and i feel great on my LTR, i have never really ridden anything else before so i cant really comment on those, If you do get the LTR the only thing that may make you a little more comfortable is a taller stem or like 660LE said, some bar risers and you will be good to go

miller821
11-18-2008, 12:43 PM
I went from an EX to a 450 and I gotta say it's quite amazing.:p

The 450R is something to look into, because they are nice quads also... Depends honestly if your looking more for a track quad, or trail quad...

northwest Texas
11-18-2008, 06:29 PM
Thanks guys. I've just been a little too busy over the past couple of years to keep up with stuff like that like I used to.

It seems like I remembered hearing that the YFZ was a little cramped but I couldn't remember any "pitfalls" of the QR

Right now I'm leaning a little more towards an 04 TRX450R that's priced right but I haven't seen it yet, and spending the diff on arms & good shocks.

Decisions, decisions....thanks again

Kyle

leasureryan
11-18-2008, 09:43 PM
After now being fuel injected....I will never go back. I still love my 400ex, but there is nothing like this LT-R

NOR CAL 131
11-18-2008, 10:18 PM
I bought an 06 TRX450R Jan 06, rode it for over a year, then bought a couple LTR450s, but kept my Honda. Just recently I sold the LTR's and bought another TRX....the main reason for me was the ergonomics. I really like the LTR it's a great bike and I think I was just as fast on the LTR as the TRX, but I was just never comfortable on it. I never liked the relationship between the bars/seat/footpegs (i tried a +1 stem but didnt help me)....the Honda was much more comfortable and roomy IMO. Like I said the LTR is great, but if you are used to a 400ex, which is alot like a 450R ergonomically, then I would have to say you should not get an LTR. Oh yeah and the TRX is MUCH easier to work on.

bama06300ex
11-19-2008, 02:22 PM
I have a 05 450R and love it. My good friend has a QR and we swap all the time. I really like his, I wouldnt say it's uncomfortable, I really dont know how to explain it, but I feel more safe on mine. I feel like I can hang on better, and the contours of the bike seem to match up better to my body. It kinda feels like I can get closer to the bike when rounding corners fast. I really like the QR, its an awesome bike. But after having numerous hours on both, I'll stick with my R.

honda250xman
11-19-2008, 03:33 PM
after coming off of a 400ex myself, i did not like the 450r. i felt the front end was a little too light for my preference. because the 400ex is a little heavier as well as the Qracer i choose the zuki. its already wide, and now you can get one set up decently for around 4500. especially the way the economy is right now you could definately do some dealing. which ever you choose i think you will be happy. buy now tho everything is cheap. thank the economy! haha

Robin Hood
11-19-2008, 10:22 PM
Love my LTR. I was in the same position as you and I understand exactly what you mean. I sat on all of the 450's and the LTR just felt right to me. The 450R was my second choice as the YFZ felt cramped. I'm 5'10 so I'm not that big but you just feel like you're sitting on top of a YFZ rather then inside the other's.

As for power - the Honda 450s have more grunt to them, the YFZ's like to be run in the higher RPMs, and the LTR's are all around from what I've experienced. LTR has a mellow powerband and wont tire you out and is always predictable. You can get the hang of these quads really quick which is why I fell in love from the start.

Check each one out, sit on them, ride them if you can, then weigh out the prices. Good luck.