PDA

View Full Version : too hot ?

norcalduner
11-18-2008, 03:32 AM
My buddy rode his 250r unaware that it was past 220 degrees for an extended period of time. The motor did not seize although he noticed a rise on the coolant level on the reservoir. Basically, he stopped in time to notice the inline esr temp gauge reading around 250. We figured out that the problem was caused by lack of airflow due to a "mud caked" front bumper. He continued to ride the quad after removing the bumper with the temps back down to 180 and in his words "no loss of power".

Here is the question.

Would it be worth tearing down the motor to search for any internal damage ? And if so, where and what to start looking for ?

I thought I'd ask everyone's 2 cents.

86 Quad R
11-18-2008, 07:32 AM
typically what i do is to mentally record the compression after breakin and routinely check it as part of the maintanance and in the event that something as you described happens i have something to compare.

if the static compression is known prior then i'd start there. otherwise i'd remove the intake and exhaust and look for a sign of 4 corner seizer<<sp? and it may be a good idea to do a leakdown test to see if there are any leaks. this should include checking to see if air is getting into the cooling system aswell since you say it was bubbling the overflow. :cool:

trx310R#24
11-18-2008, 09:59 AM
my motor over heated an i needed new rings piston an everything so i just got a new motor cuz i got a good deal lol

mxduner
11-18-2008, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by 86 Quad R
typically what i do is to mentally record the compression after breakin and routinely check it as part of the maintanance and in the event that something as you described happens i have something to compare.

if the static compression is known prior then i'd start there. otherwise i'd remove the intake and exhaust and look for a sign of 4 corner seizer<<sp? and it may be a good idea to do a leakdown test to see if there are any leaks. this should include checking to see if air is getting into the cooling system aswell since you say it was bubbling the overflow. :cool:
exactly what 86 says. I have ran my r up to 250 multiple times when i was on a trip out west with no problems, checked the compression after each ride and it was fine. since then i tore it down and everything showed up fine. hopefully your buds r is fine

deathman53
11-18-2008, 04:06 PM
my atc250r regulary went over 220 on slow stuff, trail riding it would be 230+. I generally only run it in mx, due to how hot ii runs in slow stuff. Running mx, it doesn't get over 190. Keep an eye on the compression guage every so-on.

norcalduner
11-18-2008, 07:47 PM
How high do ya guys think is too high that bottom end damage might occur since he is more worried about rod bearing premature failure?