PDA

View Full Version : Engine Locked Up

Charlie5980
11-17-2008, 10:32 PM
Hello everyone i'm new and in need of some help. I just got a Suzuki LT250 from a friend. However this thing has been sitting outside for about 3 years and the motor is locked up and so is the rear wheels (maybe just brakes on the rear). Several have said if you just take out the plug and fill with something that eats rust or even brake fluid it will finaly loosen up? If anyone has any ideas please pass them along. This is the first 4 wheeler i'v ever had. Thanks for your help.

HondaHurley
11-21-2008, 07:50 AM
Well if water got in the engine and rusted it out your pretty much out of luck bud i dont know how i could help you ... maybe you should take of the top end and see how bad it is.... if its shot then i would start looking around for a new motor.... or maybe you just need to horn it out... maybe put a pic up so we can see how bad it is?:confused:

Charlie5980
11-21-2008, 06:15 PM
I hope to start taking the body off as soon as I figure out how, then i will figure out where and what to start taking off. This is the first 4-wheeler I've ever had so it's a learing deal for me also. Thanks again for responding.

f4istunna
11-27-2008, 08:32 AM
If you plan on doing work yourself. Do yourself a favor and get the service manual it will come in handy for sure.

Take your time and pay close attention when you tear it down so you remember how to put it back together.

I agree though first thing i would do is take the plastics, tank etc off and pull the topend at least to inspect it.

If you just try and put a rust remover down the spark plug hole i think you'll run into major problems sooner than later

bkivett
10-23-2009, 03:37 PM
I've got the same problem (just locked from being left outside water got in the exhaust) I tried putting marvel oil in it and I've tried PB Blaster to no avail. I tried to take the head off but the timing chain is holding it on. All I know to do is keep it full of some kind of penetrating lube and keep kicking on it every day. Any help would be great. It's a atc350x engine in a trx250x frame.

Charlie5980
10-24-2009, 12:46 AM
Hey Brian,
I finaly got mine unfroze, I kept putting brake fluid into the head. I took the spark plug out and filled it up and in a few hours I would check it and put more in it, I also put it in the crank case after I drained the oil and water out. I did have to take a pipe wrench and I turned the motor over with the big nut bedind the hand recoil (pull) starter rope. I would turn it till it stopped and then turn it the other direction and then it broke loose. I did the 2 or 3 times a day for about 3 or 4 days till it and you can tell the wrench goes futher and futher. I drained the crank case good and refilled it with oil and with some starter fluid it started pretty easy but man did it smoke for about 5 or 10 minites. LOL It still runs as today. Hope this helps you out with yours! Oh yea loosen or take out the spark plug each time you try to turn the engine over so it don't have compression.

bkivett
10-24-2009, 07:58 AM
Thanks Charlie but I don't have a pull start set up is a little different. I will def try the brake fluid though.
Thanks man.
If anyone knows what I could do with it being a kick start, w/o splitting the case it would help.
Thanks

Charlie5980
10-24-2009, 11:15 AM
Brian look on the left side of the motor and take the cover and see if you have a big nut. If so use the nut to turn the motor by hand with a wrench.

usp4u
10-24-2009, 04:13 PM
well, now that you've flushed the engine with friggin brake fluid you can figure on splitting the cases.
brake fluid is extremely hard on seals that are not designed for contact with brake fluid. brk flu. also has the ability to eat away bearing surfaces.
should've split the cases to begin with.

atv fan 28
10-25-2009, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by usp4u
well, now that you've flushed the engine with friggin brake fluid you can figure on splitting the cases.
brake fluid is extremely hard on seals that are not designed for contact with brake fluid. brk flu. also has the ability to eat away bearing surfaces.
should've split the cases to begin with. i agree with usp4u. i would have tore it apart first to see why it was locked up!

Charlie5980
10-25-2009, 12:57 AM
hate to bust your bubbles but it's been over a year and it still runs fine! No oil leaks no smoke or nothing.

John451
10-30-2009, 06:53 AM
try pb oil. if that doesnt work then take the head off and hammer on the piston and if it's still in tact once it's free you can reuse it. The cylinder needs to be honed though because its problably full of ****.

bkivett
11-01-2009, 09:04 AM
Thats the problem I can't take the head off because the timing chain.

ZX11
11-01-2009, 09:46 AM
You need to go online and order a service manual.

Four stroke over head cam engines require the valve cover removed, cam chain tensioner removed, and the chain taken off of the cam sprockets before you can remove the head. Also, you need a new head gasket for reinstallation. My street bikes also had the head bolts hidden under the cams so that they had to come out.

Sounds like you need to invest a lot of time/patience into this ATV.

bkivett
11-03-2009, 07:49 PM
I have a manual. The top valve cover is off. I just keep oil on it an kick on it every once in a while. I might try turning the fly wheel with a wrench this weekend.