PDA

View Full Version : Z400 or 400ex

ridered1991
11-17-2008, 05:58 PM
I've stopped at the local dealers and they both have good deals on used EX's and Z's so I'll be buying one of them.

If anyone knows how these quads handling compares to a 350 raptor that'd be a good way for me to judge. I love the handling on my friends raptor it just slides right around the corners.

I really just want what is going to move the fastest through the trails, if the Z's engine makes up for it's high stance that's what I want or if the EX's better handling makes up for its engine disadvantage.

Unless the Z is going to give me alot of problems... I know the EX won't because of its simple design.

kellymi
11-17-2008, 06:54 PM
Look a couple of threads down there is a discussion on the DVX vs 400EX.

ridered1991
11-17-2008, 07:08 PM
I looked at it but couldn't really find any strait forward answers for my question

airmobile101
11-18-2008, 02:23 AM
Today is your lucky day. I have a DVX and a Z400. Plus, I had a 05 Raptor 350 before my Z400. Soooooooo,with that said. This is what your looking at.

Raptor 350 = Very light in the *** end and heavy as hell in the front. Narrow front end compared to the 400ex and Z. Crappy *** reverse system where you have to pull and push a lever compared to the Z's simple turn of a knob. I do like that it has zirk fittings on the a-arm,but not on the rear carrier(axle). Parts can come cheap since it shares mostly everything from a Warrior. 6-speed tranny(why I have no idea). Drop it down one tooth one the front sprocket and put a full exhaust on it and this thing hauls.
Air cooled single cam engine. Probably more info than you care to know.
Anyways, a Raptor 350 is easy to toss around,even for a small guy. I personally think is a good bike for trails.

Z/DVX/KFX = To be honest, not the best bike for short people as myself(5',6"),but It is a beast , make no mistake. More HP straight out of the box compared to the Raptor 350 or 400ex. Dual overhead cams. Liquid cooled. Front shocks(05-newer) that has compression,rebound adjustment(rezzi shocks) unlike the Raptor or 400ex. Handles awesome in the trails as does the 400ex. Plenty of upgrades for both the Z and 400ex. The list of crap can go on and on !!!!

So, I make this easy for yea. I might piss some Honda people off, but this is the Z400/DVX/KFX thread. If you want a reliable bike that doesnt require alot on maintnance, then get a 400ex. That bike has stood the test of time.

If you want a bike thats probably lower priced with more to offer, and can hand a 400ex its ***, then get a Z400
:devil:

powermadd400ex
11-18-2008, 08:31 AM
i have a 400ex(obviously) and i love the damn thing! :D
had it for almost a year and not a speck of trouble. but here are a couple thing i rele hate about the 400ex
1) the front shock suck arse! the first thing i did to mine was get some elkas.
2) its aircooled, i can feel the engine losing power in the heat of the day. it needs a fan cooling system. period.
3)oh wait there is no three :D :p
now my buddy has a z400, and my other buddy has a race ready kfx400, the both freakin kill me on top end,but not enough to notice on the trails or the track.( my engine is completely stock, not even an exhaust. the z has a motoworks exhaust and the kfx has a white brothers mx4). i have about the same torque as both of them, i can get the front end up, and blast out of berms about the same as them. but i feel that both are uncomfortable for me, im 6'1" and it feels kinda cramped, while my 400ex feels roomy. now this may just be because i have become accustom to my 400ex. but the big #1 factor that led me to get a 400ex is the price, i got my 400ex for 5k, with moose nerfs and all around skidplates and a 1 year warranty. while the lowest i could find a Z for was 5800 completly stock. but its not my bike, either way your gunna love both of them.

slinkydog
11-24-2008, 10:13 PM
400ex good handling no power. z400 lots of power, but sits a little too tall. needs lowered. the z has my vote!!:blah:

QuadRacer116
11-30-2008, 03:54 PM
i have a z400 and a 400ex.

i love the z. its faster and handles better then the ex. plus it has reverse.

the z does sit up higher but if your not afraid to throw your weight around then i think you will love it

the z has more space between where the seat is and the foot peg. this comes down to prefrence but i personally like the extra space alot. it keeps your legs in a more straightened position and for me (5'10'' 215lbs) it makes it ALOT easier to throw my weight from side to side in tight quick turns.

the ex has a lower center of gravity making it easier to slide around but for me i cant get my a** of the side of the quad as easy.

overall i am way faster on the z.

rcatvrider
12-02-2008, 07:59 PM
The debate never ends, they all have their pros/cons and rider preference plays a big roll too.

I have a 400ex and can say that the stock front shocks do suck. Imo they screw up the handling of the whole quad stock. It three wheels when turning, rebound is way too fast, and they bottom out very easily. That does not make it a bad quad, these are easily replaced and there are a few other oem quad shocks that work well.

On the trails I can easily keep up with if not overtake a piped/jetted/filtered z depending on the rider. I know a couple guys who could give me a run for my money and a couple who aren't that hard to overtake. Overall power wise, the z wins stock as it is a newer, higher performance design. That does not rule out the 400ex though. It has plenty of power with a few cheap mods.

As far as being like a raptor 350, both quads can slide and both can beat the 350 in drags all day long.

TheNewn
12-04-2008, 09:29 PM
I'd go with the Z400 any day, unless it was a GREAT deal on the 400ex.

Most of the reasons have already been said so i wont say the same thing twice.

odog
12-08-2008, 09:21 PM
kfx/z is more updated and it has more hp. i think torque wise the honda will come up easier in the trail they are close but the honda edges it out if power isnt a concern to much i say 400ex plus the power is a little smoother the kfx power could catch u off guard but both quads are close u will get use to the honda quicker than the z its to many pros and cons this could go on forever but if u are mainly trail riding with a small crowd i say ex but if ur out with a lot of riders u will appreciate the extra power that the kfx has but both are a big step up from a raptor 350

ecx122
02-02-2009, 08:13 PM
i have a 2005 ltz400 with a hole in the blocks right beneath where the shifter comes out. is it possible to mig weld a metal plate to the block? if not, can some one give me a good website that will give me a really good deal on a new/used left side crank case?