PDA

View Full Version : wanna try some jumps

cglester
11-17-2008, 05:36 PM
recently purchased a 08 kfx450r, my first sport quad, and was wanting to try some small jumps. I dont have any "natural" jumps laying around in my yard, and would like to know if anyone has any sure fire way of building one. Keeping in mind this is my first sport quad. Also is jumping on level ground easier than jumping uphill, or downhill. Any tips would be helpful

Johnny Minehan
11-17-2008, 05:41 PM
depends on how comfortable you are with yourself, dont start out on doubles or anything. a tabletop is perfect to learn on..

BlaineKaiser450
11-17-2008, 06:05 PM
make a nice 5-10 foot table or just a single about 3-5 feet high. But be sure not to make it too steep. thats a common beginner jump builders mistake

cglester
11-17-2008, 06:21 PM
know where i can get some dimensions?

BlaineKaiser450
11-17-2008, 06:23 PM
id just measure how wide your quad is and make it a little wider than that, about as high as you like and about as far as you like. Id just go out there and start working and go from there

cglester
11-17-2008, 06:29 PM
yeah, just trial and error i guess. I bought this thing in june and broke my ankle 2 weeks after that. I was doing some doughnuts in the yard and bout rolled over, then put my foot down like a d@#bass. Wore a cast for 6 weeks, and learned an important lesson about proper riding boots:D

11-17-2008, 06:44 PM
for width home tracks and jumps i like to have a quad and a half, so if you were on it and parked your quad up to the face of the jump you could fit half a quad next to it. just so there is a little margin for error. i would start with just a small jump maybe 3ft high and no landing ramp just so you can get a feel for it. Then probally no time you will want it bigger. then i recomend a table top.

cglester
11-17-2008, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
for width home tracks and jumps i like to have a quad and a half, so if you were on it and parked your quad up to the face of the jump you could fit half a quad next to it. just so there is a little margin for error. i would start with just a small jump maybe 3ft high and no landing ramp just so you can get a feel for it. Then probally no time you will want it bigger. then i recomend a table top.

Thanks foxhandarider, i willl definately keep that in mind.

jesseweaver
11-17-2008, 09:11 PM
you asked for some dimensions, here ya go. this should be pretty good to learn on

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff71/1999_416ex/aussiecomp.jpg

Pipeless416
11-17-2008, 09:27 PM
like somebody mentioned, dont' make it too steep. i like the length to be at least the length of the quad. i hate when the rear end kicks up.

jesseweaver
11-17-2008, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by Pipeless416
i hate when the rear end kicks up.

you just gotta rely on the ol panic rev:macho

11-17-2008, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by jesseweaver

lol
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/K32mQTttFmc&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/K32mQTttFmc&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Pipeless416
11-17-2008, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by jesseweaver

on beginner jumps, sometimes its too small for the panic rev to make a difference. nothing is more discouraging than a big fat nose dive haha.

trx310R#24
11-17-2008, 09:39 PM
lol im goin to take pics of the first jump i ever made.. the back dont kick up an its not as long as my quad lol you just got to hold that gas in an let off a sec before you get to it if you hold the gas in coming off of a jump that will make your rear pop up

just make a nice jump like 20' long hit it at the top of 2nd you will be fine

Pipeless416
11-17-2008, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by trx310R#24
lol im goin to take pics of the first jump i ever made.. the back dont kick up an its not as long as my quad lol you just got to hold that gas in an let off a sec before you get to it if you hold the gas in coming off of a jump that will make your rear pop up

just make a nice jump like 20' long hit it at the top of 2nd you will be fine

ok im basically saying don't make a speed bump haha.

jesseweaver
11-17-2008, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by Pipeless416
on beginner jumps, sometimes its too small for the panic rev to make a difference. nothing is more discouraging than a big fat nose dive haha.

haha and nothing is much more fun to watch

jesseweaver
11-17-2008, 09:47 PM
lol
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/K32mQTttFmc&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/K32mQTttFmc&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

:macho never fails

cglester
11-18-2008, 04:30 PM
so, no matter the size of the jump I decide to build, in order to keep the rear end from kicking up, I need to let off the fuel just as i reach the end of the jump?:confused:

ProspectorJim
11-18-2008, 04:41 PM
if you want to nose dive yes.

BlasterEaten250
11-18-2008, 04:53 PM
haha I think you guys are just confusing him. Just go out, make something that looks like it will throw you in the air, and see what happens. if it sucks then change it until it's good. as for what you do to jump, practice will help you the most.

11-18-2008, 05:04 PM
i still will nose dive every so often off a jump and i just bounce it off the rev limiter. the one i hit i tried to peg it out in 3rd but i didnt have the distance to get it up in good 3rd gear power. front end dipped i just bounced it off the rev limiter and held on. in my mind there was no doubt i was going over the front end nd my quad was front flipping... again lol. the rev saved me just enough so I landed face on the front of the quad thighs resting on the bars, i juts laughed and went and hit it again in 2nd gear. once you start hitting things bigger as your floating through the air you can tilt or level the quad out usually with just your body. but in those cases were your nose is diving fast panic rev is where its at. i saw a guy hit a jump before and revved so much in the air while leaning a little back he landed like he was riding a wheelie lol the back end bounced him up and then the front slammed down

cglester
11-18-2008, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by ProspectorJim
if you want to nose dive yes.

I dont want to nose dive, but then again, i dont want the rear end to kick up either. Wait,.... isnt that the same thing?

ProspectorJim
11-18-2008, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by cglester
I dont want to nose dive, but then again, i dont want the rear end to kick up either. Wait,.... isnt that the same thing?

yea. Keeping a constant throttle through the face of the jump will keep you level. some people blip the throttle at the top of the jump, but i ended up with my *** in the dirt trying that.

As for building a jump, whatever size you build make sure it flows nicely.

11-18-2008, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by ProspectorJim
yea. Keeping a constant throttle through the face of the jump will keep you level. some people blip the throttle at the top of the jump, but i ended up with my *** in the dirt trying that.

As for building a jump, whatever size you build make sure it flows nicely.

yeah dont pin it on the face of a jump try to keep a steady speed and give it a little more before the jump not hammering the throttle. If you slow down as your hitting the jump thats how you nose dive thats why you want to stay steady on the throttle. You can do some fun things with steeper jumps like preloading. Just throw all your weight into the shocks on the face of a jump and you spring off the jump and go furthers and higher

KXRida
11-18-2008, 08:34 PM
lol

I guess that's what that guy gets for having such *****ty riding posture. I guess he doesn't know to stand up and stay centered when jumping. Mother nature is a b!tch when it comes to learning lol.

Your easiest/safest jumps are going to consist of a long, smooth, unlipped take off followed by a rolled, forgiving landing. The short/steeper you make it, the more rebound you're going to get off of the face of the jump, so keep that in mind. Also, the faster you hit it, the more rebound you tend to get, so work your way up and be ready to compensate.

cglester
11-19-2008, 04:37 PM
thanks for the help. got about 6 inches of snow here yesterday, soon as that melts i am gonna get busy on that ramp.

BlaineKaiser450
11-19-2008, 04:40 PM
be sure to post pics!

cglester
11-19-2008, 04:45 PM
absolutely, in fact i am gonna dedicate my first leap of faith to all of the swell fellas on here that gave me the inside info:D

Pipeless416
11-19-2008, 04:46 PM
make a snow jump! snow hurts less anyway :devil:

Rcarroll
11-19-2008, 07:26 PM
This is a good site on building a track. I just check and it is being updated.
www.racingsmarter.com/supercross_track.htm