PDA

View Full Version : 2006 ltr 450 1st gear problems

creampuff
11-17-2008, 01:13 PM
I have done a search and came up with I probably need to change the shift forks. When the bike is in 1st gear is feels like it wants to jump into neutral or possibly 2nd gear. If you take off in 2nd gear it seems to feel ok. Do you have to split the cases to fix it? Thanks shaun

ltrracer
11-17-2008, 01:55 PM
yes you will have to split the cases and look at the tranny, gears and forks and everything and replace whats needed

ddaly29
11-19-2008, 09:15 AM
I had a similar problem with my 2006 LTR and it was not inside the casing where the problem was. Behind the clutch inside the L/H engine casing, there is a gearshift locator drum which is moved from the position of one gear to another by the gearshift shaft coming from the other side. Underneath and slightly behind this drum there is a spring loaded roller on a steel arm, which locates in the drum to hold each gear in position. When my bike was jumping out of gear the steel arm was bent out of shape and it would not locate properly in the locator drum and so the gears were jumping around instead of holding in position. You will have to take the arm and roller out to determine if its bent. (about 1.5 hrs work in total if you know what you are doing) I learned the hard way, by stripping the gearbox down twice and finding nothing wrong..

ddaly29
11-19-2008, 09:25 AM
http://www.alpha-sports.com/suzuki_atv_parts.htm

2006 LTR450 QUADRACER - GEAR SHIFTING

No 25. 25350-45G00
STOPPER, SHIFT CAM

No 26. 25381-28C30
PLATE, SHIFT CAM STOPPER

Check out this link and parts 25 and 26 in the gear shifting diagram are the ones I am talking about. The shift drum is probobly worn as well.. (mine was)

Its the R/H side of the engine, not the L/H as earlier stated

creampuff
11-20-2008, 12:57 PM
Thanks for the help I will try to check the pieces out that you mentioned. I will report back.