PDA

View Full Version : No air Box

2001 trx400ex
12-14-2002, 01:01 AM
i have a 400ex and i took the air box off and put the outterwear on and made something to hold up the carb air intake and i find i have much better throttle response. Has anyone else tried this and if so did you find any problems with it. Thnx

12-14-2002, 01:27 AM
Problems :) Ask Beerock about his cylinder and piston.

You should at least run the box if not the lid. I do hear of guys that run the dunes exclusivly do it with out problem.

Guess it depends on where you ride.

2001 trx400ex
12-14-2002, 01:46 AM
what kind of air filter and outter wear did he have and where was he riding and what happened to his cylinder.

Maryland 400EX
12-14-2002, 05:56 AM
Sounds like a great idea as long as the filter doesn't get wet. Where I ride there's so many waterholes that my filter gets wet even with the airbox and no lid. I've considered putting the lid back on except I bought this thing used and the arsehole didn't have it anymore. Anyway, If water gets in your intake it's bad news.

Extremeracer167
12-14-2002, 08:09 AM
The GREAT throttle repsonse your talkin about is prob. because its lean. How many jet sizes did u go up when u did this mod. Ide do a plug check b4 u ride it anymore.

2001 trx400ex
12-14-2002, 11:30 AM
When you did that how did you support the carb air intake.

SmokinJoe@PJR
12-15-2002, 07:05 PM
Just Plain Nuts thats all I am sayin

phatswinn
12-16-2002, 02:15 PM
yea what he said

beerock
12-16-2002, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by 440EX4me
Problems :) Ask Beerock about his cylinder and piston.

You should at least run the box if not the lid. I do hear of guys that run the dunes exclusivly do it with out problem.

Guess it depends on where you ride.

Its really not a problem.

but when you ride in area with WATER it is.

I never had any problems with my setup where I ride.

I DID have problems at the harescramble in manahawkin because a airbox WAS needed for the race.

if your racing mx it shouldnt be a problem.

2fastandfurious
12-16-2002, 02:36 PM
Dude, why would honda and all the other companys out there put a box and lid on if it wasnt needed. Sounds like a cheap mod to me. Get a pipe and then get some carb and engine kits.
-Ben

cheetah
12-16-2002, 03:05 PM
Hate to barge in on your thread, but everyone tells me to take the lid off and it will really give me quite a bit more power with my pipe. I'm just a little worried about doing it though. We ride through a lot of mud and water holes. Has anyone ever had a problem with not running the lid? Am I gonna gain any power worth risking? I might go get those filter things and drill holes, but I don't want to fool with it unless I'm gonna notice something. Am I really corking my pipe up?

Extremeracer167
12-16-2002, 03:35 PM
Its plain dumb to run with no airbox. And for anyone that is not racing MX, i would NOT recommend taking your lid off. Thats just as bad, because u are still getting a LOT of water splashing up, and u need somehting that covers your filter......PERIOD! Atleast cut your lid in half. But i would NOT recommend running a completely open lid with a K&N Filter especially! The drill and uni vents dont work unless u know where to put them. And not many ppl do. We spent ALOT of time figuring this out. And about 20 box lids from Honda. But we have figured out where to put the holes on a stock lid. But it is till not as good as the design Joe at PJR has made up. We have a box on its way to EXriders as we speak, and in a few days, hopefully around X-mas u will have a full review from Ben or whoever is doing the review. I can tell u it is really a GREAT box! But thats all im posting about the boxes until u read about it for yourself. Let me and Joe know what u all think.