PDA

View Full Version : clutch...clutch...clutch......

martimatt550
11-17-2008, 02:06 AM
Researching new clutch. can you guys help for info on your choices for a clutch.... Thought about a Barnett dirt digger.. some also say EBC... any help would be great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:)

99banshee
11-18-2008, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by martimatt550
Researching new clutch. can you guys help for info on your choices for a clutch.... Thought about a Barnett dirt digger.. some also say EBC... any help would be great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:) Well i run the dirt digger and it works great! And hooks up great!!!

asohagan
11-19-2008, 01:50 AM
i run the toomey clutch with every other spring stock, still a lil stiff but i got use to it

djguestone
11-20-2008, 09:56 AM
Can't go wrong with the Tusk kit from Rocky Mountain. It's like 45 bux with a set of hd springs! That's what I run no complaints!

loboboy
11-21-2008, 07:44 AM
first question to ask is how much do you want to spend. Then you can go from there. I have a JSR Performance 8 plate clutch kit with fiber plates that have 50% more suface area along with thicker steel plates to alleviate warping then use a modified Yamaha R6 clutch inner hub and pressure plate and I have had my cluctch in the bike for 5 years now and no problems. Only problem is the cost around 1K bucks for the complete kit.

machwon
11-21-2008, 01:38 PM
Tusk, Toomey and stock are all fine, but use HD springs.

DO NOT USE EBC OR BARNETT!

martimatt550
11-24-2008, 03:45 AM
Originally posted by loboboy
first question to ask is how much do you want to spend. Then you can go from there. I have a JSR Performance 8 plate clutch kit with fiber plates that have 50% more suface area along with thicker steel plates to alleviate warping then use a modified Yamaha R6 clutch inner hub and pressure plate and I have had my cluctch in the bike for 5 years now and no problems. Only problem is the cost around 1K bucks for the complete kit. cost not really a big issue but definitely want something serviceable, in case something goes wrong out of town or won't want to be down for two weeks.... etc....... tell me about how much modding to use r6 hub and plate...

martimatt550
11-24-2008, 03:49 AM
Originally posted by machwon
Tusk, Toomey and stock are all fine, but use HD springs.

DO NOT USE EBC OR BARNETT! why no ebc or barnett???????? just curious for thoughts about why ......don't last??? hard to install???

machwon
11-24-2008, 05:15 AM
The other clutches use inferior materials in my opinion. Most people don't have a problem but when you push over 70-80HP they will fail quickly. The ones I mentioned are the ones that will last given that power level.

When the inferior ones get hot the plates and fibers warp and you lose the freeplay in your clutch. After a couple drag passes you will notice the quad creeping at th starting line. Lose your free play and it begins to slip the clutch and tears it out. On a 4mm drag motor I built I got 7 passes out of one and 9 passes out of the other one and was out $180. I'll never buy them again.

You will be suprised how well a stock set will do with HD springs. Toomey and stock clutchs with HD springs run me most of the year. More than a 4 mm motor and I would recommend a lock up clutch.

loboboy
11-24-2008, 05:23 AM
Originally posted by martimatt550
cost not really a big issue but definitely want something serviceable, in case something goes wrong out of town or won't want to be down for two weeks.... etc....... tell me about how much modding to use r6 hub and plate...

You can use the stock steel and fiber plates you just use 9 of them instead of 7. I run 8 because I use the stock R6 steel plates which are thicker. Also You won't need to worry about being down for 2 weeks since you won't burn it up ever. I am pushing 85 to the wheels and like i said I have had the same clutch in it for going on 4 years.