PDA

View Full Version : anyone going to the BAJA 1000???

tri5ron
11-16-2008, 02:17 PM
I will be working for SCORE, as a race official, i.e. "Road Crossing Personnel".

This is basically a fancy name for: "Flagman/Nutcase", standing in the middle of the road, with 100mph trucks coming straight at him, in the middle of the night, trying to direct the racers back onto the dirt road, while trying to keep the spectators out of the racers way, and all the while trying to keep from getting run over himself.

our assignment location is at "race mile" 556.96, it is tech note #193, on the SCORE notes.It is after the place where they will turn onto Hwy. 1 at Santo Tomas, then go through the military check point. From there they will come up Hwy. 1, for about 2 3/4 miles, then at the "Acambaro Market / Resturant",(Hwy 1, km/marker, KM 40.5), is where I will be, and I will be turning the racers off of the highway, and back out onto the dirt roads. To the best that I can figure out, my GPS location will be: WPT LAT= 31.6261896 LON= 116.4551528 Elevation 839.000This is approx. 70 miles before the finish line, and is an excellent place to pit, change drivers, spectate, etc. we dont expect to see the first bikes coming through until late afternoon, and the first Throphy trucks a couple hours after that. then it will be a mix of racers all through the night. (it's going to be a long night).

Dan_Guetter
11-16-2008, 08:04 PM
Going down there tonight with a crew of people....look for the 3a of Nick Nelson, Zac Willet, Brandon Brown, Mike Bender, etc.....

tri5ron
11-16-2008, 08:40 PM
good luck at the race,

We'll be in the 36' Bounder motorhome at the Acambaro Market.

Last ime we were at the 500, and assigned to the same place. it was still daylight when the racers started coming through, and there was ALOT of spectators here. we had our hands full keeping them out of the way.so be carefull, and dont hit them, Or me...

this time up it will be dark by the time we start seeing racers. dont know if there will be any spectators during the night,
but if so, then we are going to be really busy, trying to keep it as safe as possible for everyone.

Drive hard, Drive fast, race safe!

CannondaleRider
11-16-2008, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by Shift_DVS
Going down there tonight with a crew of people....look for the 3a of Nick Nelson, Zac Willet, Brandon Brown, Mike Bender, etc.....

Good luck guys.

I only recently found out that Brandon was riding on that team.....Brandon is a teammate of mine. I know Mike as well.

Hope all goes well. :D

ccmuscle22
11-18-2008, 10:24 AM
I wanted to mention that WORCS pro Jorrie Williams #10 plate for 2009 is also on the team.
Here is a full detail of this team.

MotoX Nutrition ATV Racers to Compete in SCORE Baja 1000!

Washougal, WA (11/14/2008) -Heading to the Tecate Score Baja 1000 in Mexico next weekend is a powerhouse team with an east and west coast connection. There are three WORCS riders including Pro riders Brandon Brown and Jorrie Williams. Both are top 10 plate holders coming into the 2009 season.

Other additions include Mike Bender who held two first place and a second in three events in the 30+ A class at WORCS this year. Another rider and team orchestrator is Quad Magazines Nick Nelson and rounding out the team is east coast AMA Pro Zac Willett.

They will be Pro ATV Team #3A. Baja Pits is the company they will be pitting with and you can get race event updates every 5 minutes by going to: www.racetheworld.net/ircstore/

The rider of record: (name that will be listed with the number) Jason Greenhaw. Jason was to ride with the team but has withdrawn due to a pre-run injury. Chase vehicle support will be by Kenny Sanford of S&S Motor Sports, who also is a WORCS rider.

MotoX Nutrition has worked with all three northwest riders including Brandon, Jorrie and Mike during the 2008 WORCS series and will help to dial in their MXN performance supplements and nutrition during the test days and the race event. We will also be dialing in Nick and Zac for this 4 day event that runs from November 20th-23rd.

A special thanks to a few sponsors who really stepped up including: Quad Magazine, Maxxis, FullBore Plastics, Tire Balls, Klim, MotoX Nutrition and S&S Motor Sports.

Christian
TEAM MXN MotoX Nutrition
www.motoxnutrition.com

QuadJunkies
11-18-2008, 11:52 AM
Cant wait to hear how the guys did..!:macho

Go kick some *** boyz!! and be safe.
Wish I could go experience it,maybe someday. :ermm:

ZWILLETT47
11-18-2008, 04:06 PM
Zac is also posting some limited information on his website as well:

zacwillett.com

tri5ron
11-18-2008, 10:56 PM
do they plan on changing riders at the Acambaro market?,

there will probably be a Baja Pits crew about 300 feet after I turn them off of the highway, and onto the dirt road.

(when I worked the 500 race, Baja Pits, as well as many teams pits were at this location)

BTW- just up the hill, past the Acambaro, there is a truck eating/bike sinking silt beds, that even Quads were getting stuck in.
The 500 race had 25-30 cars/trucks/bikes stuck at the same time. some guys were stuck for over 3 hours. it was such a bottleneck, that SCORE Op's called us and told us to stop the drivers/riders and tell them to watch for it.
So be carefull there, remember this is about 550 miles into a 624 mile race, and drivers/riders will be very fatiuged by then.

so back to my first question,...
Will they be pitting there? changing riders there?
if so, then give me a 'high five" as you go by or at least a good thumbs up!
(I'll be the nutcase with the flag, trying to keep from getting run over ), LOL!

ZWILLETT47
11-20-2008, 12:01 PM
Update on Baja 1000:

Zac team has picked up a racer and now have a full team of four racers. Zac's team has been based in Ensenada and been pre-running their sections of the course. This year's Baja 1000 Race is a looped course not from tip to tip. The total mileage is just over 630 miles. Zac being the only one that has TT and SMX background, so he ended up with the fast sections of the course (I think he said he had about 200 miles). He secound up and runs the next to last leg. He said his sections have a little of everything; beach, a little payment, dirt, rocks, mountain switch backs and miles of whoops!

He said he has been prerunning from 3pm to 3 am! The first night they were pre-running they hit highway to come back to camp and had to stop at a check point. The military check their backpacks and quads over pretty good. Zac said he was a little shook-up because the soliders were like 15 years old boys with AK-47s. Since then he been through this check point 4-5 times.

He rode a Outlaw Polaris the first couple of nights and said it sucked. He was having trouble out running the Outlaw's lights (it only had one extra light over stock). Last night he was on a z400 and he rode a section that had over 20 miles of brick size rocks. He said the z was worst that the Outlaw. They have been saving the race quad for the race (450R)

Today they are doing a photo shoot and some riding there in Ensenada at a TT tract. He did say he was a little sore...I bet!

Friday morning 6:00 am is the start you can go to his website to track his team tomorrow. zacwillett.com

Dave

Pipeless416
11-21-2008, 10:46 PM
hope you found your passport Ron!!