PDA

View Full Version : What do you guys do to prep the atv for storage?

rinaldi
11-16-2008, 10:01 AM
I am used to having street bikes and this is my first atv as well as my first dirt bike (also have an 05 CRF250R). I just planned on putting Stabil in the full tank and then hook up to a trickle charger (battery tender jr.). The only other thing I planned on doing was starting them once a month or so. Would this suffice? I read about pulling the spark plug and putting some fuel down the cylinder. Not sure if that is necessary or not.

sc400ex_rider
11-16-2008, 10:28 AM
stabil the fuel turn the gas OFF crank the engine and let it burn all the gas out the carb and line. that way it cant varnish up your carb. cranking monthly is unnessary. as is oil in the cylinder, that is a more long long term storage method. also have you rejetted your carb the ex is jetted very lean from the factory for emissions and a real pain to start cold but thats another story. the tender is a definet plus.

11-16-2008, 10:39 AM
i recomend using seafoam in the tank. Seafoam works the same as a stabilizer and it cleans everything when you run it. I would turn the fuel off and run the quad till it dies and seafoam in the tank.

Brauap
11-16-2008, 10:50 AM
I don't reccemend using any method of a fuel addictive for making the fuel last longer during storage.. all my friends and family members have used it ended up clogging up their car band a whole 'nother mess. I'd just empty the oil, drail the fuel, make sure the battery is charged, and run it until there isn't any more fuel and it WILL NOT run at all.. and make sure your whole air box and exhaust are blocked.. like stick a plastic bag over your snorkle (if you have one) and/or over your air box (if you have no lid) and put a wash plud in your exhaust.. those stupid little birds love it in there! Eat your airfilter and like to climb in your exhaust.. lol

Fred55
11-16-2008, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by Brauap
I'd just empty the oil, drail the fuel, make sure the battery is charged, and run it until there isn't any more fuel and it WILL NOT run at all..

DO NOT empty the oil and then run it....

Brauap
11-16-2008, 05:11 PM
lol naw, I didn't mean that.. obviously drain the fuel, run it, then drain the oil. lol thanks for clearing that up.. I don't want anyone siezing there engine, haha

CJM
11-16-2008, 05:14 PM
I dont use stabil, it sucks.

Get PRI-G from a boat store, it really does work unlike stabil.

I crank over the bike a bit to make sure the treated fuel is in the carb (it will not become varnish with this additive), then turn the fuel off and thats that. Never had an issues..

93 red ls
11-16-2008, 07:30 PM
dont you guys ride during the winter?
i mean i run the fuel out of my carb/lines after everytime im done riding ( turn the fuel off and leave it run until it dies )