PDA

View Full Version : help a follow noob out

93 red ls
11-15-2008, 08:15 PM
I have a few questions ( sorry dont bash the noobie i DID try to search button didnt really find a justified answer do help me out lol )

im new to the quad/honda game so im wondering a few things...

will after market front suspension for a 450r fit a 400ex?? meaning +2 a arm kit and tie rods for a 450r would they fit a 400ex? i know honda makes alot of its parts universal but i was just wondering. B/C i tried to reverse search a few part numbers on some web sites and didnt really have any luck

ALSO

( i saw the 450r carb sticky but confused )

will a 450r carb just "bolt" right up on the 400ex? all i have done is a slip on right now but i plan on doing a aluminum air box with a K & N filter

any helping words or thoughts would be appreciated thanks people!

brian76708
11-15-2008, 08:22 PM
as far as 450r a arms they will not fit.

if you read the 450r carb sticky there are a few things that you will have to do to make it work. as a air filter many argue this knn or uni. IMO i have owned both i feel much safer with a UNI and if you do run a knn get outerwears.

look on craigslist for the 450r front shocks to your most likely can find them cheaper there than here and no shipping

BlaineKaiser450
11-15-2008, 09:39 PM
the a arms will not fit but i believe the shocks will

Ruby Soho
11-16-2008, 08:06 AM
450r shocks will bolt up, aftermarkets will probly aswell, but if your gonna go aftermarket get em for the 400ex.

the 450r carb goes on, but you need to expand both intake boots, move the airbox forward 1", plug the hotstart, remove the choke lever, get a 450r throttle cable, and jet it correctly.

dariusld
11-16-2008, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by Ruby Soho
but you need to expand both intake boots,

What does this mean? "both"?

drillteamleader
11-16-2008, 10:28 AM
the rubber boots from the air box and from the head. they are bigger on the 450r and you will have to stretch them to get that carb on a 400.

Brauap
11-16-2008, 10:43 AM
It means you have to push the 400EX air box forward some. The 450R carb is shorter (slimmer) than the 400EX's. Also, if you get (click here) (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda-400EX-400-EX-Intake-Spacer-Carb-Engine-Exhaust-HP_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3a1205Q7c66Q3a2Q 7c65Q3a12Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1318QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec 0Q2em14QQhashZitem220311964982QQitemZ220311964982Q QptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories) it will move the carb back.. looks to be about 1/2'' in then get ZRPilot's adapter. Here is the thread about the adapter (click here) (http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=314423) And in this thread, people had many for sale. So look here and PM some people who said that had it for sale. The thread: (click here) (http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=371091)

Here is a carb with the adapter for sale by, kolby2004, here is that thread: (click here) (http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=370897)

And don't worry, the 450R Carb sticky is confusing!!

The 450R front shocks will bolt up with little grinding. (Look at the sticky) The a-arms will not. The 06+ 450R swinger will, but you need a small spacer on the bearing carrier (if you use the 400EX) if you use the 450R carrier it will bolt right up and make it 1 1/4" longer (I think 1/4")

I was wanting to get the whole rear end for the 450R (Swinger, carrier, axle) to see, but I didn't want to spend the money.. for 06+:

Swinger: 1 1/4" longer
Axle: 1" wider

But I don't know if the sprockets would line up..

I know I am going to get chewed up for this by people like FoxHondaRider, but don't get a K&N! Unless you reoil it after about ever ride (and clean it) and have a prefilter with the lid on (and dust still got threw) If you love lots of maintence, get a K&N. If you want to slap on in, get better air flow, and maybe clean it, re oil it once a month, get a UNI! If you ride in lots of dust, get a UNI. If you race SuperMoto, or TT, K&N.

Also, I had read that 450R stock spendles will fit and make you quad handle better...

Overall, welcome to our highly addictive sport of ATV's.. and glad you chose a Honda!

RIDE RED!!! :devil:

Ruby Soho
11-16-2008, 10:51 AM
you dont need to grind the shocks, just knock off the fender nut thats in the shock mount.

and both boots are smaller, i used to have a 450r carb, i didnt ream out the intake one on the engine, i put some oil around it and stuffed it in there, it worked.

the other one i used a dremel with sand paper on the end.

Brauap
11-16-2008, 11:03 AM
But if you grind that nut off, you can't bolt you fenders down... :confused:

11-16-2008, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by Brauap
I know I am going to get chewed up for this by people like FoxHondaRider, but don't get a K&N! Unless you reoil it after about ever ride (and clean it) and have a prefilter with the lid on (and dust still got threw) If you love lots of maintence, get a K&N. If you want to slap on in, get better air flow, and maybe clean it, re oil it once a month, get a UNI! If you ride in lots of dust, get a UNI. If you race SuperMoto, or TT, K&N.

LMFAO!!! its all on the terrain you ride in or how you ride. ride up front and your clean, ride slower in the back and your dirty lol. but for me the K&N is the best way to go because I ride in all sand and dust. Sand and dust clog the foam filter so fast in the conditions I ride in your boggin down cause your running rich by the end of the day. Talk about maintainance I had to clean my filter every ride even with a closed air box. Yeah K&N arent real good for filtering out dust but an outerwear is. I only have to clean my K&N every 3 rides or so. When I look in my intake boot its normally clean. I have found a very thin film of dust just at the bottom part of the intake boot it wouldnt go past the hump in it and it would stick to the intake boot. I can deal with a little dust every so often for protection against the sand. Yeah with a foam filter I actuallyfound a few grains of sand in my intake boot before the hump. So there isnt a best all around air filter because some conditions require one and some require the other.

Ruby Soho
11-16-2008, 11:40 AM
But if you grind that nut off, you can't bolt you fenders down... :confused:

http://www.genright.com/images/products/FlatHeadBolt_sm.jpg

Brauap
11-16-2008, 12:19 PM
http://www.genright.com/images/products/FlatHeadBolt_sm.jpg

I don't understand..

And FoxHondaRider, think about this..

Your foam filter gets clogged with dust and sand at the end of the day..

Your K&N doesn't.. hmmm.. where does that dust and sand go? THREW YOUR ENGINE.. DOH!

My outerwares SUCKKKKKED! Yea, it cough a little, and when I went threw water, water seeped right threw it and the outerwares got clogged with water and make my engine die! I hate those! But I used some pantyhose, wow those work real good! I used it on my dirt bike.. about 2 months later I went to go clean my air filter.. took the pantyhose off and my filter only had a little dust on it (LITTLE) so, I just too the pantyhose off and I didn't have to clean my air filter! I also put some of the filter oil on the panty hose. Try it. One day (in real dusty areas) ( and ride in the same spot the 2 times) and see at the end of each day which one kept your K&N cleaner! It kept my foam cleaner! I prefer cleaning my foam ever day then cleaning my K&N every 3 days knowing the dirt is getting threw! :eek:

Ruby Soho
11-16-2008, 12:25 PM
how do you not understand.

you knock off the nut that is tacked on, you put in the flat head bolt. you put the fender bracket on with the nut, you put the shock in and call it a day.

think about it:rolleyes:

Brauap
11-16-2008, 12:30 PM
Jee, I am sooo sorry Ruby! (not)

You need to just chill! But thank you for explaining!

Ruby Soho
11-16-2008, 12:36 PM
Jee, I am sooo sorry Ruby! (not)

You need to just chill! But thank you for explaining!

i don't need to chill. you do, quit posting so many damn threads, posts and filling up this forum with useless stuff. what are you 10? keep all your questions in your build thread, it annoys me and many other users.

11-16-2008, 01:19 PM
And FoxHondaRider, think about this..

Your foam filter gets clogged with dust and sand at the end of the day..

Your K&N doesn't.. hmmm.. where does that dust and sand go? THREW YOUR ENGINE.. DOH!

no it doesnt it bounces off my K&N and sits at the bottom of the airbox or sticks to the outside. Quad magazine even did a test K&N vs foam and they said if you ride in any sand the foam filter will start letting everything through by the end of the day. I've seen it, I ride in sand all the time so dont argue. The K&N is the best for the sand and foam is best for the dust. My outerwears captures a lot of dust I clean those every ride because they are so dusty. But my K&N is clean as can be because the outerwears stops a lot of stuff. I ran an outerwear over my foam filter to test it out. Same conditions. The foam filter had a few little spots of dirt and the rest was spotless so that means the outerwear is stopping a majority of the stuff before it hits your filter.

Ruby Soho
11-16-2008, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
no it doesnt it bounces off my K&N and sits at the bottom of the airbox or sticks to the outside. Quad magazine even did a test K&N vs foam and they said if you ride in any sand the foam filter will start letting everything through by the end of the day. I've seen it, I ride in sand all the time so dont argue. The K&N is the best for the sand and foam is best for the dust. My outerwears captures a lot of dust I clean those every ride because they are so dusty. But my K&N is clean as can be because the outerwears stops a lot of stuff. I ran an outerwear over my foam filter to test it out. Same conditions. The foam filter had a few little spots of dirt and the rest was spotless so that means the outerwear is stopping a majority of the stuff before it hits your filter.

don't believe everything magazines say.

if you properly oil your foam filter it will work great.

11-16-2008, 04:04 PM
don't believe everything magazines say.

if you properly oil your foam filter it will work great.

do you ride in sand all the time? not trying to sound like a prick but i'm pretty sure i know more about sand riding and how it effects stuff more than you

Ruby Soho
11-16-2008, 04:59 PM
do you ride in sand all the time? not trying to sound like a prick but i'm pretty sure i know more about sand riding and how it effects stuff more than you

ive ridden in sand plenty of times. and my foam filter never fails me.

use what you want, but a foam filter is a great filter. and it beats a k&n 9 times out of 10

Brauap
11-16-2008, 05:06 PM
i don't need to chill. you do, quit posting so many damn threads, posts and filling up this forum with useless stuff. what are you 10? keep all your questions in your build thread, it annoys me and many other users.

I make what, 2 maybe 3 threads a week? In differnt sections too! Your always so uptight about everything.. it almost makes me not want to read your reply to any of my posts.. whats your problem? You where my age onces too.. can't you remember?

Brauap
11-16-2008, 05:08 PM
ive ridden in sand plenty of times. and my foam filter never fails me.

use what you want, but a foam filter is a great filter. and it beats a k&n 9 times out of 10

But do you ride in sand all day, for days? Not like a once in awhile trip to the dunes.. I think Fox has got a point there, bud.

Oh and Fox, it kinda makes more since.. I was talking about dust, but you where talking about sand..

400ex28
11-16-2008, 05:09 PM
magazines are sell outs

Ruby Soho
11-16-2008, 05:22 PM
I make what, 2 maybe 3 threads a week? In differnt sections too! Your always so uptight about everything.. it almost makes me not want to read your reply to any of my posts.. whats your problem? You where my age onces too.. can't you remember?

i joined when i was 13, i never made threads like you do. i understand your curious but there's a thing called the "search" button. use it, some of us are tired of you asking about colors all day long.

and if you guys havent realised about filters, if i can ride in sand all day one day and be fine, then i can everyday. its called cleaning your filter. wait till you move from your rock solid 400ex onto a newer 4 stroke that requires a cleaned or new filter every or every other ride.

Brauap
11-16-2008, 05:29 PM
i joined when i was 13, i never made threads like you do. i understand your curious but there's a thing called the "search" button. use it, some of us are tired of you asking about colors all day long.

I use search before I may any thread nowadays! And with the colors, that was what, 2 weeks ago? I just wanted to ask peoples opinions because I could make up my mind! If I don't ever use the search, I would be making around 10 threads a DAY! I use it soo much! Another reason I ask so many questions is because I am obsessive. I am obsesed with learning everybit of knowledge I can about these! Its so interesting! I want to make sure I am buying the right part, the right style, the most reliable parts I can, the best parts I can. I am in the middle of a (slow) rebuild! I love to learn. I am sorry. :chinese:

Ruby Soho
11-16-2008, 05:30 PM
you have me all wrong. i know you want to learn, but you learn more by reading, just browse, search, do what you gotta do. and learn to not take everyone elses opinion over your own.

Brauap
11-16-2008, 05:34 PM
But the reason I made that thread over the color scheme was not because I wanted other people's opinions, but I just couldn't make up my mind. Overall, that thread had helped me come up with my scheme.

I do search, read, and browse. Over the last year, I probally have read close to 500 threads using the search engine on here.

11-16-2008, 05:46 PM
Ruby Soho let the kid make whatever thread or post he wants. I always get *****ed at for something but I dont care cause the forums are meant to socialize and either get help or help others. Things need to be fun and we need to see something new. If we didnt see something new and everyone used the search and went through tons of threads to gather little bits and never asked anything new i would be a ghost town.

Brauap
11-16-2008, 05:55 PM
Ruby Soho let the kid make whatever thread or post he wants. I always get *****ed at for something but I dont care cause the forums are meant to socialize and either get help or help others. Things need to be fun and we need to see something new. If we didnt see something new and everyone used the search and went through tons of threads to gather little bits and never asked anything new i would be a ghost town.

100% right! But I wish those freeking people would seach before they posted a thead about "Which is the best slip-on?"
That gets on my nerves, butcause I bet if you just type in "slip" in the search engine, you would get about 50+ theads of the same thing!!!! URHHH! lol

But yea, I don't mind when people post the same thread over and over again.. but I remember when everyone was yelling at me, because I didn't know how to use the search option. I don't mind share my knoledge. I love to learn and I also love to teach too! But like you said, Fox, If everyone aways searched, this would be like a ghost town. This is one of the best (model related) thead. If you go look at the DS450 or some other ones, there could be threads from 07 on the first page! Jeez-o-man!!

I absolutly love this forum. It has a mass-majority of knowledge, just about any question has been answer in the last what 4 years of the 400EX Forum.. the hard part is trying to find it.

93 red ls
11-16-2008, 07:17 PM
dang easy guys....i didnt want people to start b/s'ing back and forth and what not....i was just wanting some "lamens" terms answers lol....for fox and braup thanks for the useful info...

im new to quads ...parts and suspension on them as well...but the search button on here is useful i DID use it and found some answers but just wanted to justify them so when i buy my parts i dont waste my money on something that wont fit!

*off topic a tad* im on some car forums as well ( honda car forums )

ive been an OG member on alot of them and we get 10-20 new members a day that ask ALOT of questions that are asked on a regualr and routine basis. We all try to keeo our cool, answer the question then hope that next time the question is asked by the another new member the person who orginally asked teh question can answer it for them and so on and so on....so thanks for not taking a bashing to me guys haha

Brauap
11-16-2008, 07:24 PM
Sorry for hijacking your thread bud. I kinda forgot. Opps. Have anymore questions, just ask! ;)