PDA

View Full Version : blew a fuse today on my 400 ex???

93 red ls
11-15-2008, 07:45 PM
i blew a 15a fuse today on my 400ex??
i went riding yesterday and cleaned tryed to start it after cleaning it and i wasnt getting nothing no lights nothing.

so i tested the batter and it was reading 12.9 v so it was good. Then i pulled the 2 fuses and the one in the back was blown. What does that control?

It COULD have to do with the fact I put new bars on my quad and havent mounted the ignition anywhere yet.

honda_runner
11-15-2008, 09:10 PM
Just so you know the second fuse is just sitting there as a spare.. so therefore the 400ex only has one fuse, and its the main fuse.

Ur getting a short somewhere so I would unplug the headlights, and anything else that could cause a short.. then put another fuse in and see if it blows..

Also you should clean all the connectors, check everything.

I had bad lightbulbs that used to blow my fuses..

93 red ls
11-15-2008, 09:18 PM
thanks man!
i wasnt sure what both were for....the quad got pretty muddy riding friday so i may have got alot of mudd on the connectors not sure though, i will disconnect them and clean them off..

sc400ex_rider
11-16-2008, 10:38 AM
[i]
I had bad lightbulbs that used to blow my fuses.. [/B]

were they the stock bulbs? were they corroded? were they the wrong wattage? i never blew my fuse but thats good to know. any info would be helpfull. thx

honda_runner
11-16-2008, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by sc400ex_rider
were they the stock bulbs? were they corroded? were they the wrong wattage? i never blew my fuse but thats good to know. any info would be helpfull. thx

hey they were stock bulbs.. must of been defective or something, cause right when i turned on the lights.. i blew a fuse.

400cc
11-16-2008, 08:18 PM
Have you tried putting a circuit breaker fuse in it?

That's what I have in mine

04TRX400EX
11-16-2008, 10:12 PM
The headlights seem to be the cause of most people's fuse-blowing problems. I went through four or five main fuses trying to find a short or crimp or cut or something on mine a couple of years back. Every time I turned on the headlights it would blow. Oddly enough, I never did find the source of the problem because it eventually just stopped blowing fuses. Sometimes "jiggling" does the trick :D