PDA

View Full Version : Eton Viper 90R will not shift into F/R

Lparr1
11-15-2008, 10:53 AM
The Atv runs great after a good carb cleaning, and ran for a while. It will start now but wont shift in the gear (elec shift) the kill switch also will not kill the bike, I have to use the key, really ok with that. What may be the cause of the bike not shifting in to gear even know the light say the bike is in gear. left brake gives me tail lights but the right brake does not?? please help the kids are trying to revolt

etondaddy
11-16-2008, 08:13 PM
I believe the shift motors go bad in them.....

I know how to fix it........ buy Kyle's 2 stroke race motor, and exhaust for $850.00 + shipping and drop it in.

All you have to do is remove the motor and the wiring harness and install Kyle's motor that comes with all the wiring you need including the tether........ you would have to kick start it and shut it off with the tether.

I believe the mounts are the same but I'm really not sure is there two on top and one on the bottom.
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g278/etondaddy/Frame016.jpg

Mike Kozura

mxdad423
11-17-2008, 06:14 PM
Is the Nuetruel, forward, or reverse light blinking? if so this is a common problem with the 90R's, disconnect the battery and leave it disconnected for about 5 min then re-connect it, that usually solves the problem. if not more than likely the shift motor is bad, one way to find out if it is, is to remove the tranny cover and shif it manually, if it then goes into gear than the shift motor is bad, they are pretty easy to change, I have fixed quit a few of them with the same problem, most of the time just disconnecting the battery solves the problem but you do get a bad shift motor every now and then. If you need any help getting it tore apart if disconnecting the battery doesn't fix it, let me know and I will PM you my phone number and walk you through it.

Kevin Smitley

Lparr1
11-17-2008, 06:34 PM
no blinking lights..and if you put 12v to the motor it shift no problem so i get the signal in to the CDI but not to the motor. Is it possible that is the only problem with the CDI because i can send it in to forward and it will run normal but with out Nuetral/ and REV.

mxdad423
11-18-2008, 05:20 PM
Ok, the next thing I would check is under the transmission cover ther are 3 little switches that screw in, 1 for forward, 1 for nuteral, and 1 for reverse, it is a possibility that they could be bad and not sensing the right posistion. If you go to www.etonamerica.com and got the to parts section there is a scamatic for the transmission, click on the larger drawing tap to enlarge it then look for the three little switches and zoom in, they are right behing the tranny cover. Hope that helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Kevin Smitley

Andrew0257
02-21-2015, 07:00 PM
mxdad423, sorry for digging up an old thread but, I have a few questions about this issue. I just got an '05 90r for free runs great but you guessed it... not shifting. So to start off the wires going to the indicator bar are not connected anymore. There are about 6 wires. Would this cause a no shift? Im not so sure they would as it still will not start in the r or f positions. You also stated about manually shifting. Could you explain this in detail? Lastly if I do need a shift motor where can I find one? I have looked and cannot find one. Thank you, Andy

lilminime2006
05-22-2015, 11:55 AM
mxdad423, sorry for digging up an old thread but, I have a few questions about this issue. I just got an '05 90r for free runs great but you guessed it... not shifting. So to start off the wires going to the indicator bar are not connected anymore. There are about 6 wires. Would this cause a no shift? Im not so sure they would as it still will not start in the r or f positions. You also stated about manually shifting. Could you explain this in detail? Lastly if I do need a shift motor where can I find one? I have looked and cannot find one. Thank you, Andy After sitting few months started up very good but won't drive (go forward)? Thanks lilminime