PDA

View Full Version : who wants a headache

sjs
11-15-2008, 07:28 AM
hi all, i recently reluctantly agreed to look at somebodys 12 month old jianshe mountain lion 400, the bike was running rough and popping back through the carb and sometimes blowing it completely off, i tested all the electrics as i thought it was simply a spark timing issue, i switched the cdi, stator, pick up coil, coil, sparkplug, regulator, rectifier, new gas, all with no luck, i fitted a new carb and inlet manifold with the same result, i checked the timing and found it was out by a tooth (retarded), the owner said the bike hasn't been messed with so i'm guessing it's been a tooth out from new, the timing chain was tight and all teeth were ok, when the timing is set correctly the bike just hydraulics and won't turn over, when the bike was running with a tooth out the header pipe would glow red within 30 seconds of starting and the plug looks very white, all tappets and timing have been set right but engine still hydraulics, checked for valves hitting piston and all was ok, finally decided to remove head, slight wear on cam lobes, slight piston wear, valves look ok, rocker arms ok, anybody any ideas, Steve:mad:

sjs
11-16-2008, 08:35 AM
please help:( :confused:

86 Quad R
11-17-2008, 09:27 AM
my first guess would be a lean condition.

Johnny B
11-17-2008, 09:52 AM
definatly sounds like its getting too much air, not enough fuel. try to mess wit the jetting and see where that takes you, i think that will be your problem.

sjs
11-17-2008, 01:20 PM
thanks, the way she was heating up i guessed she was well lean, i have tried various carb adjustments and a new carb with no luck, i just need to find what is leaning it out. i am guessing it is drawing major air from somewhere.

sjs
11-18-2008, 12:48 PM
quick question, which way does the piston arrow face exh or intake?, cheers

Toadz400
11-19-2008, 08:09 AM
Originally posted by sjs
quick question, which way does the piston arrow face exh or intake?, cheers

Exhaust.

sjs
11-19-2008, 01:13 PM
thanku buddy!