PDA

View Full Version : Getting my spindles off

DuwBra
11-14-2008, 11:50 PM
I cant get my spindles to come off the a-arm, I've taken all the bolts out , i dont understand what im doing wrong. Help would be appreciated.

born2ride14
11-15-2008, 06:19 AM
The ball joint is tapered so when it was tightened it was press fit in. I forget on how I got mine out but some one on here has a picture that explains on how do remove them

mjshonk8
11-16-2008, 10:27 PM
They make a tool for car ball joints to remove them... It looks like a fork with only two prongs that the ball joint fits in between...then you just hit the tool with a hammer that pops the ball joints free...if you can find one for a car that the two prongs are close enough together that would work for a quad...good luck cuz they are a real pain without this tool

bigredisb
11-17-2008, 06:53 AM
be careful the pickle fork can tear the rubber boot and then shes toast. I have attached a picture of how I remove mine. I cant remember the sizes but I stacked several large nuts and a small nut on top with a bolt threaded to it. I then welded all the nust together (the stack with the bolt threaded in needs to just fit between the two ball joint studs) and welded a peice of plate steel to the bottom of the bottom nut. Then you just unscrew the bolt holding the stack of nuts with a wrench. POP!! they are off.
This does not even need to be welded brazed would work as well.

davidw2155
11-17-2008, 08:11 AM
Thats the exact same thing I did. Just did mine last week and couldnt figure out how to get them out till I thought of this. It works just like a turnbuckle and like he said you just keep backing the bold out inbetween the ball joints and they will pop free. One thing I found helpful is to put a weld (just so its not a flat surface on a flat surface) on both sides that way you can loosen the castle nuts on the ball joints to surround it so the thing doesn't slip out, because it will.

Bill Fuller
11-17-2008, 08:35 AM
Or just give it a good smack on a solid piece off metal with a brass hammer. Don't beat it in or try to beat it out, all you need to do is smack it usually somewhere on the side and the impact will cause the taper to pop loose. Works every time.

bigredisb
11-17-2008, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by davidw2155
One thing I found helpful is to put a weld (just so its not a flat surface on a flat surface) on both sides that way you can loosen the castle nuts on the ball joints to surround it so the thing doesn't slip out, because it will.

Good tip. Mine did shift around a bit. I got the idea when I looked at the Honda factory tool and figured it was nothing I couldnt do with a welder and a little time. I guess I get nervous pounding on tapered parts that have aluminum involved.

davidw2155
11-17-2008, 01:08 PM
I feel the same way, I just don't like banging on things until they come loose (unless its a swinger bolt...) And for some reason when steel and aluminum are press fit together they tend to sieze and its always a pain to get them apart.

NacsMXer
11-17-2008, 03:20 PM
Here's how I do it.

Flip the castle nuts over on the threads off the ball joint studs. Take a cheap socket and place a large enough washer on each end of the socket. Place the socket/washers between the two castle nuts you just flipped. Start backing off the castle nuts towards each other until they start putting pressure on the socket/washers. Continue backing the nuts towards each other until the top or bottom ball joint studs pop out of the spindle.

Usually only one ball joint stud will pop out so you will have one remaining attached to the spindle. To get the other one out, use 2 sockets with washers this time, to achieve the extra height needed. Back off the castle nut into the sockets until it pops out of the spindle. You're done!

Here is a picture of how it should be set up using 2 sockets when you have one stud still attached to the spindle. You get the idea of how to do it starting off with one socket between the two castle nuts.
http://img361.imageshack.us/img361/3261/dsc00144sl1.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

11-17-2008, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by NacsMXer
Here's how I do it.

best way to get them off unless you have a pickle fork. I remember I tried pounding and yanking nothing would get them off. Used this way and the litterally popped off.

Brauap
11-17-2008, 04:24 PM
I just used an air chisle with a fork attachment. Real fast. Easy.

Honda#4
11-17-2008, 04:44 PM
When I did mine I took the bottom arm off the frame portion then just hit right below the mount on the arm with a rubber mallet, came off like butter.

dariusld
11-17-2008, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
best way to get them off unless you have a pickle fork. I remember I tried pounding and yanking nothing would get them off. Used this way and the litterally popped off.

?????? A pickle fork shoudn't be used unless you don't care about your balljoint.

Misfit400ex
01-08-2009, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by dariusld
?????? A pickle fork shoudn't be used unless you don't care about your balljoint.

well since im installing new a=arms with balljoints already in them, a pickle fork seems just about what i need. fast and easy. lol

buck440
01-08-2009, 08:45 PM
guess you didn't like my post..??

DuwBra
01-09-2009, 02:49 AM
Originally posted by NacsMXer
Here's how I do it.

Flip the castle nuts over on the threads off the ball joint studs. Take a cheap socket and place a large enough washer on each end of the socket. Place the socket/washers between the two castle nuts you just flipped. Start backing off the castle nuts towards each other until they start putting pressure on the socket/washers. Continue backing the nuts towards each other until the top or bottom ball joint studs pop out of the spindle.

Usually only one ball joint stud will pop out so you will have one remaining attached to the spindle. To get the other one out, use 2 sockets with washers this time, to achieve the extra height needed. Back off the castle nut into the sockets until it pops out of the spindle. You're done!

Here is a picture of how it should be set up using 2 sockets when you have one stud still attached to the spindle. You get the idea of how to do it starting off with one socket between the two castle nuts.
http://img361.imageshack.us/img361/3261/dsc00144sl1.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Yeah got them off a couple months ago, this is how i did it and got them both off in minutes.

KEVIN300A
01-10-2009, 10:46 AM
Thats good that they popped out but how tight is the castle nut on the balljoint because how do you hold the balljoint from spinning to get the castlenut back off from it?? thats the problem I ran into the balljoint just spins?

NacsMXer
01-10-2009, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by KEVIN300A
Thats good that they popped out but how tight is the castle nut on the balljoint because how do you hold the balljoint from spinning to get the castlenut back off from it?? thats the problem I ran into the balljoint just spins?

Have someone hold a block of wood or something on the ball joint while you try to loosen it. You could also try a c-clamp. You need to put pressure on it to stop it from spinning.

DuwBra
01-10-2009, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by KEVIN300A

My balljoing didnt spin. I dont know then I just put the castel nuts on bolt backwards then a long enough socket in between them and unscrewed the nuts one at a time to pop both sides out. I didnt know the ball joint would spin like that unless your saying something im not getting.