PDA

View Full Version : 97 lt 80

lt80kid
11-14-2008, 10:32 AM
ok so I got my boy a 97 lt 80 , got it home lubed the front wheel bearings cables are locked up , going to buy new ones , he rode it for 3 days then it would not start . well the relay was melted so got a new relay on order as well as a new starter , but now iam worried that the breaker under the fender is bad as well , dont have my new parts yet we will see this is christmas gift i just want it to work well for him , he is 10 its his first atv we snowmobile . i see that you can take out rollers in the primary clutch but if i do do i have to cut the rears down ? and install new springs in it ? what abot matnice for the clutches the guy i got it from has done nothing well let me know thanks . Bob and Brendan

LT80
11-14-2008, 01:01 PM
Welcome to the forums. :)
Removing rollers and cutting the shoes is done to improve the holeshot.
Some like removing the rollers, some don't. I'd leave them alone and let the kid ride.
You don't need springs.

I do recommend the removal of the clutchs to clean. Check for flat spots on the rollers and grooves/gouges on the variator and the roller plate.
Rear clutch you check for bad bearings and lightly sand the contact patch on the shoes.
A good carb cleaning always seems helpful.

Ride the snot out of it. Need anything, we'll all help. Lots of good ppl in here. :)