PDA

View Full Version : chevrolet transmissions

m.h.s.c.#527
11-13-2008, 09:03 PM
I have a '92 chevy 1500 4wd and the transmission is going bad. it has a 350 in it, im wondering what my options for a new one are. the one it has in it right now is a 3 speed w/ overdrive, but i was wondering if they made any other transmissions that would have more gears for that truck? or if any one has a suggestion for a strong tranny.

250r rider 88
11-14-2008, 12:54 AM
my 93 1500 z71 tranny went out at 185k miles, so if you are around that i would say just rebuild it, or go find a wrecked one at a junk yard and pull it out, but without getting into the aftermarket I do not know of any other transmissions with more gears, honestly i've never needed them, low is low enough and drive and overdrive is long as all get out, i've done right at 115 in mine so I really do not see the need for more gears

if you want a good strong aftermarket transmission is Bowler or MTS, Bowler is near me and I've powdercoated some of their transmissions, one for burt reynolds actually, they build the transmissions you see on trucks, extreme 4x4 and horsepower, they are good, but expensive, $3k and up

you can rebuild that stock transmission for around 700 and that is the route I would go, hope that gives you some insight