PDA

View Full Version : Suspension or Motor

brian76708
11-13-2008, 03:20 PM
I was planing on getting some motor work done this winter but i know think i might put the money into suspension. what do you all think. my quad is currently pretty much stock currently i have 450r front shocks hmf pipe filter bumper grab bar.

motor wise i was thinking 416 kit cam rebuild head

suspension thinking +1 a arms re valved and resprung all three shocks if i do that should i get a new axle an what size.

Honda10
11-13-2008, 05:15 PM
I think you should do the suspension first, and widen the back also, may just want to get a the smallest wider axle, +2 or something.

brian76708
11-13-2008, 05:24 PM
i was thinking this axle

http://www.rockymountainatv.com/productDetail.do?reviews=1&navType=type&page=5&navTitle=ATV+Accessories&webTypeId=17&webCatId=24&stockId=49354&prodFamilyId=9207#vehicleSelect

dariusld
11-13-2008, 05:26 PM
What are you going to be using the quad in. Everyone says suspension but I think motor is cheaper that puts a bigger smile on my face.

Brauap
11-13-2008, 05:26 PM
My dream set up is:

+1 or +2 Housers
+1 or +2 LSR Axcaliber
Axis/Elka/PEP shocks

dariusld
11-13-2008, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by brian76708
i was thinking this axle

http://www.rockymountainatv.com/productDetail.do?reviews=1&navType=type&page=5&navTitle=ATV+Accessories&webTypeId=17&webCatId=24&stockId=49354&prodFamilyId=9207#vehicleSelect

I have this axle and its been fine for over a year, but its got very bad reviews for being weak.

brian76708
11-13-2008, 05:31 PM
ill be using it mostly for trails and dunes no racing but sometimes i hit the mx track and about the axle at least on that RMATV there was only 1 report about it being week but IDK i still am thinking motor at this point.

Honda10
11-13-2008, 05:37 PM
if you think about it this way, if you have a lot of motor work done you and it is a fast quad but you still have stock suspension, you are not going to be able to go that much faster unless you have better suspention to soak up the bumps. Suspention will give you a smoother ride and allow you to go much faster.

brian76708
11-13-2008, 05:44 PM
yea but with the 450r shocks in the front and stock 400 one in the rear i think its comparable to a stock 450r which has way more power so i think i can handle more power with the suspension set up i got but i dont know yet.

11-13-2008, 05:58 PM
i can honsetly say i cannot use all the power i have right now. either the tires are spinning or i'm in the air. I tuned my suspension to probally the best its ever gonna get being stock shocks and its great compared to stock but without better rear tires and shocks redone I cant go much faster and use all the motors power. I go full throttle all the time but if i'm not hooking up or my rear is in the air just revving thats not using all the power to its potential. My choice was to do the performance mods i have now just so it will get up and go. Then make it ride plush and be comfotable and custom for me like a nice handle bar setup. Then it will be back to performance once I can get the power down to the ground.

brian76708
11-13-2008, 06:31 PM
im on the heavy side at 220lbs and dont have any problems with getting traction.

11-13-2008, 07:33 PM
When dirtwheels did a shootout of the hrc 450r against the gytr yfz, they said even with the power up kits it wasn't too much for the suspension to handle.

You have 450r fronts and on the heavy side like me so the rear aint so much an issue.

I say go for the 416/11.1/Stage 2 Cam/450r carb. After you do that save up for some suspension.

BlasterEaten250
11-13-2008, 07:38 PM
I know I'll be yelled at for this but if you ride the dunes most of the time I would look into power. Now if you focus more on trails or the track then I would say suspension. But when we went to little sahara you could open it up anywhere and I know if I rode there more I would definately put some money into the engine.

brian76708
11-13-2008, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by BlasterEaten250
I know I'll be yelled at for this but if you ride the dunes most of the time I would look into power. Now if you focus more on trails or the track then I would say suspension. But when we went to little sahara you could open it up anywhere and I know if I rode there more I would definately put some money into the engine.

yea i know what you mean i ride at silver lake sand dunes all the time and the sand just robs you of power i had paddles to. i wasnt over paddled either but i did have to downshift when climbing hills and when hitting jumps i couldn't get going as fast as i wanted to.

JParisi48
11-14-2008, 05:51 PM
I would go with suspension IMO and if you do, dont get that g-force my cousin had one and it got messed up after like a month...

Brauap
11-14-2008, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by BlasterEaten250
..we went to little sahara..

Sorry to get off subject, but where is that?

BlasterEaten250
11-14-2008, 06:05 PM
waynoka, oklahoma

northwest Texas
11-14-2008, 06:26 PM
Even though you said you ride in the sand, there's a reason guys keep telling you suspension first. It sounds like to me you already had your mind made up to delve into the engine.

If you were to ask any of the guys whom tuned their chassis first if they regretted it, I'd be surprised if you got a yes.

I thought the stock suspension on my EX was great until I replaced the front shocks with some inexpensive and I couldn't believe the difference. Then I came across a rear shock and thought to myself there wouldn't be much difference but again, I was amazed.

You don't have to spend 3 grand on suspension to improve it.

11-14-2008, 06:34 PM
Sand is not as soft and smooth as most think. sand whoops can be huge! I have hit some whoops that I was able to double. And once a dirtbiker comes across your riding area is screwed up bigtime. The ruts they make in the sand every which way and stuff shakes the quad violently at times when riding slower. There are really soft plush parts of sand and its so fun unless you sink in it lol I remember I tried to climb this small bump maybe 6ft not even what i would call a hill but it wasnt steep either it was gentle sloping up. I couldnt make it up it lol my quad sank down in the sand and if i jut let out the clutch I was digging a trench. real sugar/flour sand lol But if you land in a spot like that with enough speed its like extra shocks.

buster024
11-14-2008, 07:11 PM
Since you're asking, I'd definitely recommend suspension. My 400 has no engine mods (only intake, ignition, & carb), but I have the pimp front end set-up you are looking for, and I can keep up with all the piped 450's on the trails. No doubt the 450's and/or a 416 could pull my bike, but not by much, and how often are you wide open on the trails. I love the power of the 400 on the trails. It has a great crawl gear the 450 just doesn't have. That front end will keep you from bouncing around (like you wouldn't believe), and firm on the ground where you can keep the power to the dirt. I've got a stock rear shock, but I extended my swingarm which helps a ton.

The 400 has an awesome engine, and no matter what anyone says, any engine work is going to sacrifice some reliability. Look around for a used set of sick arms and shocks, and maybe a swingarm. Bust into the engine last.

Good luck with your decision.....it's a fun problem to have!
:D

Honda#4
11-14-2008, 08:55 PM
I agree with doing suspension first, you can have all the power in the world but its no good if you cant put it to the ground.

brian76708
11-14-2008, 09:00 PM
i just got my 450r front shock but havent installed them yet but i caint wait to test them out and if i where to do anything to suspension i would probably get all three shocks re valved and sprung because i cant afford extended a arms and axle after looking up the price. I might go that rout and just get new valve seals, and i need a new clutch too. then wait till next year for the 416.

hypersnyper6947
11-15-2008, 01:05 PM
although i def voted for suspension i say do whatever one you find a deal on first. Keep looking at ebay if you find some +2's for cheap then do that first, if you find a good deal on a cam or something do that first. IMO thats the best way, that way you have more money for the other when your done.

11-15-2008, 01:27 PM
I think i mentioned it before but if you look at my signature all the performance mods that I have adds up to only $250

brian76708
11-15-2008, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
I think i mentioned it before but if you look at my signature all the performance mods that I have adds up to only $250

i already have everything in your signiture except the sparks timeing key and i do not want one either, and i dont have steel braided lines which i would like to get eventually. I found a deal on brand new +2 a arms but i only want +1 some of the trail i ride get tight. http://www.hydrodynamicsusa.com/products/product_info.php?cPath=27&products_id=103

also i know think i am going to get yfz 450 springs and put them on my 450r shocks so there progressive rate that way it will do better at lower speeds.

wheel_spacers
11-15-2008, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by DMC-4OOEX
When dirtwheels did a shootout of the hrc 450r against the gytr yfz, they said even with the power up kits it wasn't too much for the suspension to handle.

You have 450r fronts and on the heavy side like me so the rear aint so much an issue.

I say go for the 416/11.1/Stage 2 Cam/450r carb. After you do that save up for some suspension.

just cause hes alittle heavier doesnt mean he needs power, if your 400 doesnt lug you around, then you must be more than on the heavy side

i would do suspension. youll have alot more fun for sure!:chinese:

brian76708
11-16-2008, 03:18 PM
i might get in a class next semester in college where i can bore it out for free if so then all i would have to pay for is parts.

Brauap
11-16-2008, 05:18 PM
:eek: If you really want to bore it out yourself.. I would rather have a pro do it than mine, or my teachers backyard machanics... but thats just me. :ermm:

11-16-2008, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by Brauap
:eek: If you really want to bore it out yourself.. I would rather have a pro do it than mine, or my teachers backyard machanics... but thats just me. :ermm:

It's not rocket science. The bore tool goes in there (on something like a bridgeport) and you slowly go down and up in the cylinder. Wah-lah, its bored. Just hone it.

brian76708
11-16-2008, 05:45 PM

your an idiot, this is college not middle school young one. If i take this class the professor is there to teach us how to do this type of work. you really should think before you post.

Brauap
11-16-2008, 05:46 PM
Yea, you JUST bore it. Thats right. But you have to be SPOT on when you do it.. not enough isn't a biggie, but a tad bit too much.. and you have to bore it out the next size! If you don't relize you bored it out too much, your piston is going to rattle in there and its going to be a big ol' mess! Also, how do you measure something like that?

11-16-2008, 05:50 PM
Yea, you JUST bore it. Thats right. But you have to be SPOT on when you do it.. not enough isn't a biggie, but a tad bit too much.. and you have to bore it out the next size! If you don't relize you bored it out too much, your piston is going to rattle in there and its going to be a big ol' mess! Also, how do you measure something like that?

It's called centering it on a bridgeport. And the bore tool is adjustable for the RIGHT size. It's not like it just changes at random.

And how do you measure it? It's called a bore gauge.. You can find simple ones cheap that do the job fine.

My dad owns a machine/fabrication shop. I know what Im talking about. Go learn some about mechanics, and then talk to me.

lol

STUNTIN400EX
11-16-2008, 07:02 PM
centering on a bridgeport or any other cnc machine is not rocket science but there is a reason why a person goes to college to learn cnc programming and the like. Plus there is a measuring tool called a bore gage that will allow the user to inspect the bore down to the millionth. With the proper tools and instruction anyone will be able to do the work. It is the tools that remain the most important. I am a college grad with a degree in Industrial Tech. Good luck with your choice either will make riding that much more FUN!!!!!

04TRX400EX
11-16-2008, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by Honda#4
I agree with doing suspension first, you can have all the power in the world but its no good if you cant put it to the ground.

Enough said ^^^^ Best statement one could make.

The stock suspension on 400EX's (and 450R's for that matter) is pretty close to crap. You would not believe what a set of aftermarket front shocks (or your 450R transplants) valved and sprung for you along with a rebuilt rear can do. It completely transforms the quad. A set of +1 Housers or something comparable will be a nice addition and will not require a wider axle as the stock front is actually narrower than the rear anyways. If you really want an improvement, go with some +2 a-arms and an extended axle (RPM is the best but also the most expensive).

It doesn't matter where you ride, all the motor in the world doesn't translate to anything if you are on the brink of losing contol because your quad reacts differently to the terrain than you think it will.