PDA

View Full Version : long travel suspension?

chamberlain31c
11-13-2008, 11:17 AM
im new to the 250r, would like to switch over to the long travel suspension and give it a try. do they make a long travel swingarm or will a long travel shock fit in a standard travel swingarm. any thoughts?

250R Baja Rider
11-13-2008, 10:46 PM
ditch the stock system and find a no-link swingarm and shock. You willget a plusher ride with better travel.

mineralgrey01gt
11-13-2008, 10:49 PM
or a CR500 link

chamberlain31c
11-13-2008, 11:30 PM
yeah i wanted to go with a no link but wasn't sure if there are long travel set ups or just standard travel swingarms, i meen can you run long travel up front and standard in the back? or with a no link set up since you are getting rid of the link is there enough room to put a long travel shock on a reg. no link swinger?

Master LTR450
11-14-2008, 05:55 AM
basically with a stock frame you can run a standard link rear no matter which setup you go with. you can always run a lt setup in the front without a lt setup in the rear. I would suggest turning the front into a lt setup and just get a nice aftermarket rear shock setup for you and your riding. Or you could always contact walsh and purchase one of their cr 500 conversion for the stock frame but then you need to do some fab work!!

250R Baja Rider
11-14-2008, 09:13 AM
Yeah, on the front you can, and you should go with a long travel system. You won't regret it. Since you will be doing woods riding, most people widened the front end by one inch or so. For other applications is usually 3 inches since you don't have tree clearance issues.

Although I agree with the CR500 setup for the rear, it is too much work. With a no link you get very similar performance by just replacing the swingarm and rear shock. No modifications on the frame.

I have a Roll Design no-link swingarm that I may say. I've had it in my garage for 15 years (from my desert racing days) and never saw use.

Good luck either way you go.

bushwesl
11-14-2008, 09:26 AM
I thought that you had to have a special frame to run the no-link as well? My LSR is a link/no-link frame combination. The no-link mount is mounted higher up on the chassis and has a narrower shock opening. My shock is 17-5/8" eye to eye, which I think makes it long travel. What defines "long travel" for the rear? Just curious.

Master LTR450
11-14-2008, 10:18 AM
you can run a no link on a stock frame with a no link swinger. the only thing is when you get a shock instead of being 17.5 or 18.5 your looking at 15.5 or 16 inches. It can be done but I would suggest just doing long travel up front a aftermarket rear shock. There is really no point in buying a swingarm and shock just to find out your not going to be satisfied. A aftermarket rear shock will surprise you with the difference, as long as its setup correctly!! If your set on a long travel rear you have 2 options contact walsh like I stated above or start looking for a aftermarket frame.

rustyATV
11-14-2008, 03:46 PM
These no-link rears: Can you still run the airbox?