PDA

View Full Version : CDI boxes

Ride1Rob
11-13-2008, 10:30 AM
Anyone see any performance difference in the race cdi box? I was told it's not really worth it to upgrade. Any thoughts on this is much appreciated.

bigjakesdad
11-14-2008, 02:17 PM
I had a race cdi on My sons Quad ,but I can not tell you the difference because we did so many mods at the same time we could not tell how much power was from the cdi.
I can tell you however that the race cdi's from Xtreme will not work with the IRK. It will make spark but at the wrong time. So if your ever considering the IRK you would be waisting your money to get the race cdi.
I can tell you that when we switched to the IRK it made a huge diff. We did this mod after the Direct Drive. If you are running the stock crank and speed shifting you will break the crank.
The direct drives from TBOLT incorporate a heavier crank.

Ride1Rob
11-15-2008, 06:11 PM
Thanx for that info. What exactly does the IRK do? I've heard so much about it and how fantastic it is in performance but not sure how it works. Also, is this a factor in the cranks breaking or no?

bigjakesdad
11-15-2008, 10:07 PM
The IRK takes the place of your stock flywheel and stator assembly. With the IRK you have to loose the e-start and throw the flywheel in the trash. You have to modify your right cover plate to make room for the IRK mounting plate.(but it is well worth the effort if you have a heavier crank). In place of the flywheel you put back a small chunk of aluminum that has 3 magnets (rotor). When these magnets pass by the New Magneto they induce an electrical charge into the capacitive discharge ignition(cdi). The cdi stores the charge until the magnets pass by the pickup coil that induces a voltage to fire the cdi and coil.
You loose approx. 3 lbs. of weight on the left side of the crank allowing the motor to rev much quicker and way higher. Thus developing too much centrifigal energy in the 3lbs of clutch hanging on the right side of the crank. The stock setup sends all that power through a decent sized crank but then right where you need the strength they reduced the size of the crank (smaller than my pinky). They run great with the IRK and the stock crank for about a lap and a half.
One thing I have found out on these motors is that once you start making alot of power ,you start to get enough flex out of the cranks for your flywheel to start rubbing the stator assemblies and ripping the plastic and metal retainers out that hold the magnets in place. (you will be dead in the water) I have seen this on both my sons Typhoons on the stock cranks and the new cranks. Leaving you with no other choice but to go with an IRK. With these you can adjust the gap on the Mag assembly so nothing rubs. I'm not just saying this to try to sell DD kits, these have been my personal experiences. If somebody has a better solution they should speak up. I'm not looking to make a bunch of money on the kits ,But I would like to recoup my R@D ,and Patent moneys. I don't know if theres enough guys running these things to make much more than that.
My main motivation to build these kits was my boy. He wanted to run with the big dogs,But we had a shoe string budget. Could not afford a 17,000 dollar Hetrick Honda, but now we can run just as fast. We holeshot on a couple of them in our area regularly.

snowfighter
11-16-2008, 08:13 AM
the race cdi on ebay will improve your performance as will a tb box.
we have used the blue race cdi and tb cdi box we actually liked the ebay model better usually 20-25$ delivered. the tb is about 45$
i got a tb here ill send you for 25 shipped i dont need it any more this xtreme is going cr80 !!!other performance parts available as well used but good

Ride1Rob
11-16-2008, 12:45 PM
Nice info BigJakesDad! I've been doing some research and it seems that someone has come out with a balancer in the IRK kit to balance the crank with the centrifugal clutch still attached. Is this another solution to solving the problems of the cranks failing when the IRK kits installed? Here's what they say about their kit.

Inner rotor kit from OORacing

What advantages will you get:

These kit really help with getting your engine to pick up revs fast and reduce the big problem of crank shaft failure. This is the main part!!!
The kit reduces the overall mass of the crank by approx 1.5kg now that’s a lot of weight at 13,000 rpm
We have set the stators to run as your standard ignition timing but for those running high compression motors or high octane fuels you have up to a 15 degree of extra advance.

What do you get with our kit:

1 x Stator plate with exciter coil and pulse trigger (with new O ring and crank seal)

1 x Inner rotor 170G weight

1 x Alloy oil filter/spinner/harmonic balancer (with steel spline) This is the key part as just running the rotor with out will twist the crank on the big end pin in time.

1 x New 2 stage CDI unit this has a 15000 RPM limiter with a rapid advance curve.

1 x Push button kill/stop switch and handle bar clip and wiring.

1 x Stabile spark twin pole ignition coil with suppressed water proof plug cap.

1 x Very helpful fitting instructions and setting up also info@ooracing.com

The Kit will fit all the common secondary clutch engines Jailing, lifan, zoncheng, YX, 120, 125, 138, 140,150,160cc

***This is not the exact kit but one like it with the balancer***
http://img6.uploadhouse.com/fileuploads/3007/3007356e8e2244f262f07d0a65c689b0d5ff415.jpg (http://www.uploadhouse.com/viewfile.php?id=3007356&showlnk=0)

Ride1Rob
11-16-2008, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by snowfighter
the race cdi on ebay will improve your performance as will a tb box.
we have used the blue race cdi and tb cdi box we actually liked the ebay model better usually 20-25$ delivered. the tb is about 45$
i got a tb here ill send you for 25 shipped i dont need it any more this xtreme is going cr80 !!!other performance parts available as well used but good

I was thinking about getting a cdi but after doing some reading it seems that I won't be able to use it after I get the IRK as it won't be compatible. For now he'll just ride with the stock one. Thanx!

bigjakesdad
11-16-2008, 09:13 PM
That Harmonic balancer is not a harmonic balancer it is centrifigal oil filter used on manual clutch pitbikes.It will not work with the stock cranks and centrifigal clutch. check around on some pitbike websites and you will see that they fly apart when used for very long.They seperate where the aluminun and steel are pressed together,probably from the expansion from heating up and cooling. A true harmonic balancer would indeed be balanced and have a rubber insert for dampening the spinning enertia.
I'm sure there have been many a motor trashed from loosing oil flow to there cranks from these alloy filters falling apart. Most kids won't stop for a funny noise ,they will only stop when the bike won't move anymore!!

Ride1Rob
11-16-2008, 09:35 PM
Wow, that's some good stuff! Thanx for schooling me on how these kits work. Ready for your kit to hit TBolt so that I can get this mod done. I have a couple of things that I need to order until then so I'll take care of those 1st. Hurry up with those kits lol ;) .

JBOYZ
11-17-2008, 09:41 AM
Just my opinion, but I thought this CDI gave a little more performance than the CDI Xtreme offers:
http://www.partsforscooters.com/107-44

Ride1Rob
11-17-2008, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by JBOYZ
Just my opinion, but I thought this CDI gave a little more performance than the CDI Xtreme offers:
http://www.partsforscooters.com/107-44

Hey! You guys have been MIA lately. I still remember you telling me about that particular cdi. I was told by a builder that it's not giong to make that much of a difference is why I'm skeptical. I have race cam, hd springs, and a supercoil on it's way now. Also going with a longer intake for more torque and a bigger better flowing airfilter. I'll see how she performs then and evaluate the bike's perormance.

snowfighter
11-17-2008, 03:50 PM
that cdi from partsforscooters is the same one on ebay that sells for 20 bucks

lilman
11-17-2008, 05:32 PM
whats the direct drive set up?very interested

JBOYZ
11-19-2008, 11:28 AM
Not pushing partsforscooters - just where I new I could find a pic quick...lol

Have been MIA lately because we have closed our shop in Southern Illinois & moved to Minnesota....

Now working for CFMOTO Powersports Inc. in the main distribution center as Parts Manager....

www.cfmoto-us.com