PDA

View Full Version : New 700xx Rules

brantsz
11-13-2008, 09:30 AM
Just purchased a 700XX, it was a really hard choice between the XX and the Raptor 700R. I Bought a new TRX 450R about 9 mo ago added the HRC kit, etc it was a real beast tons of power, but I ended up hating the bike. No low end, shocks were very harsh, I simply just could not make it work in the woods. I tried everything before I gave up and sold it. During this time I kept kicking myself for not buying a raptor 700, this was before the release of the XX. So for months I was dead set on a Raptor. Then the 700XX was released and I read the mags reports on the quad, seemed to be a huge disappointment from Honda. Mostly due to the fact they stated it lacked low-end and required clutch work in tight stuff, it weighed 500lbs and Honestly I hated the looks of the XX when I first seen it. Well more reports started coming out on the XX that sounded a little better and the time came to buy my Raptor. I decided to dismiss the major mags and make my own decision based on my requirements and years of riding. So I headed to the Yamaha/Honda dealer ship where I could see each quad side by side and ride each one. Once I seen the XX in person it looked much better. The low end power as in right off of idle is great and the XX pulls fairly hard seems really corked up with a lot of potential. Raptor felt good also, I have ridden a few of these, good low end but the power delivery of the Honda was much smoother. At low speeds and whacking the throttle to say 50% they are really close, I felt the Honda had a little more in my opinion. But the HUGE difference was in handling and suspension. The XX was much plusher and soaked up all sorts of messed up terrain and jumps. I went with the Honda after being dead set on a raptor 700 for months, but this was only after I was able to ride the Honda to see the difference. So far I have found Dirt wheels review of the XX complete BS the quad is nothing as they described it, it is just awesome it can chew up nasty rutted, rocky up hills with ease and tons of power. The only thing I think the mags have stated correctly is in regards to the XX is how it pushes the front end in really tight slow turns, but I can deal with that. I can’t wait to see what this beast will be like with the big 3, it is defiantly corked up and on the lean side.:devil:

scuzz
11-13-2008, 12:27 PM
Welcome!

I couldn't agree with you more. I've already spanked (no big deal I know) a piped and filtered Raptor 660. I walked him the whole way...

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j254/gwwaddle/TRX700XX/100_7406.jpg

Jason Hall
11-14-2008, 11:20 AM
Nice write up on the XX, I have come to believe that Dirt Wheels Is In Yamaha's back pocket. I have friends that worship that magazine and buy what ever they say Is best!!!!!!!!! It kinda makes me SICK.

I love Honda's, and trust them 100%. Glad to hear you made the choice you did.

Jason.

SPDSNYPR
11-14-2008, 03:56 PM
Thanks for the review. I was eyeballing a xx at the honda shop not 30 mins ago. I've really kicked around trading my 400 for one, but it's hard to make the commitment on a bike so new with no maintanence record.

04hemiboy
11-14-2008, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by SPDSNYPR
Thanks for the review. I was eyeballing a xx at the honda shop not 30 mins ago. I've really kicked around trading my 400 for one, but it's hard to make the commitment on a bike so new with no maintanence record.

So far so good. I'm at 2500km (1560 miles) 110ish hours trouble free.

SPDSNYPR
11-14-2008, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by 04hemiboy
So far so good. I'm at 2500km (1560 miles) 110ish hours trouble free.

Those are just the kind of reports that are going to get me into trouble with my wife . . . . :D

04hemiboy
11-14-2008, 11:11 PM
Those are just the kind of reports that are going to get me into trouble with my wife . . . . :D

Mine gave up on me a while ago. 9 bikes in 18 months.lol

CHIPPERBATES
11-15-2008, 10:17 AM
i bought my XX in May and have ridden it in some of the worst terrain i have ever seen (Burning Rock & Tower City) very rocky and rutted.I have over 100 hours on mine, only problem i had was a rear shock leaking oil and honda took care of it no questions asked.I have really uncorked mine and the difference is in credible.Really nice write also, and i agree as well with all you have said.

CHIPPERBATES
11-15-2008, 10:20 AM
here's another pic

BamBam730
11-18-2008, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by 04hemiboy
Mine gave up on me a while ago. 9 bikes in 18 months.lol

04hemiboy
I see in your signature line that you have can-am and honda atv's. If you have ever ridden a DS 650, how would you compare it to the honda 700xx????? Obviously I own a 2007 Baja DS 650X

SPDSNYPR
11-18-2008, 08:24 PM
OK . . . . . . I think I'm going to haul the ole 400 to the dealership and see what kind of deal they give me in trade. If they give me what it's worth, I think I'm going to make the trade. Wish me luck with the wife. I'm sure it will piss her off. And I do have so much fun on the 400ex, but the IRS seems like such a great idea for trail riding. I don't do any MX (other than maybe a lap or two around the track just for ****s and giggles when I get bored at our XC track).

CHIPPERBATES
11-19-2008, 06:25 AM
Good luck with the wife, mine was pissed when i got mine and a couple of months later we got her a Renegade 800 and presto she was over it! Its the best trail machine i have ever rode and you won't be disapointed.

scuzz
11-19-2008, 12:40 PM
OK . . . . . . I think I'm going to haul the ole 400 to the dealership and see what kind of deal they give me in trade. If they give me what it's worth, I think I'm going to make the trade. Wish me luck with the wife. I'm sure it will piss her off. And I do have so much fun on the 400ex, but the IRS seems like such a great idea for trail riding. I don't do any MX (other than maybe a lap or two around the track just for ****s and giggles when I get bored at our XC track).

You would do better by just selling it outright than taking it in for trade. (sans the tax credit) Also, make sure you put the 400EX back to stock too. You get very little on aftermarket goodies.

Just an FYI.

SPDSNYPR
11-19-2008, 05:19 PM
Got called into work early so no dice today. Maybe tomorrow I'll be able to get there before they close.

Backstabber
02-18-2009, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by CHIPPERBATES
i bought my XX in May and have ridden it in some of the worst terrain i have ever seen (Burning Rock & Tower City) very rocky and rutted.I have over 100 hours on mine, only problem i had was a rear shock leaking oil and honda took care of it no questions asked.I have really uncorked mine and the difference is in credible.Really nice write also, and i agree as well with all you have said.
Mud and other elements are hard on shocks. There is a simple fix for that when your warranty is up. I put shock covers on my machine and it keeps all the nasty stuff off your shocks and adds to the longevity!:devil:

Sanddraging28
03-31-2009, 05:35 PM
any of you 700xx guys had a chance to run them in any sand or dirt drags???? just wondering how these things compare to a raptor 700. i haven't had a chance to race one yet. i have no problem making a raptor look like a girls bike, i can usually take them by 3 or 4 lengths in a 300 ft race. not looking to start a war just wondering what some of you guys that actually own one think.

scuzz
03-31-2009, 09:19 PM
I've only raced a 734 raptor and I have my crappy AMS sand snakes which made me ditch witch off the line in the sand. It was no contest with that setup.

However, I raced a stock 700r with my slipon, PCIII and filter and I beat him (obvliously) pretty bad. Again, he was stock and I wasn't but I thought he would have been a lot closer of a race. (this was a dirt drag and not sand) I raced him three times and wupped him pretty good all three times. He wasn't a noob either, he was going on his second season of racing with it.

But I still have to go back to his motor being stock although his suspension wasn't at all.

So if anything this post muddies the water even further.

:(

dbc112
04-08-2009, 12:36 PM

Easy, do a google search for 700xx recall.. wont get anything. Now do a search for 525 IRS recall.

See the difference.

I have owned my 700xx for about 4 weeks now. Last weekend was my first ride.

Compared to my straight axle it was a PLEASURE to ride.. Bumps were easy, and where I ride (lost trails) rocks galore.

Overall the power to me is simply amazing. I am sure the raptor is fast as well. Basically you skip along rather than ride. It is extremly fast.

That said, you can uncork easy, and HOLD ON, so I have been told.

Personally, I could not be happier with this bike. Plenty of oomph, and IRS is a major bonus.