PDA

View Full Version : Help with picking a hand gun!

reptikes
11-13-2008, 09:02 AM
I was looking at a (Ruger P95), (Glock 17,19 or 22), maybe the (Ruger SR9). Any suggestions on reliability, and accuratcy.

ben300
11-13-2008, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by reptikes
I was looking at a (Ruger P95), (Glock 17,19 or 22), maybe the (Ruger SR9). Any suggestions on reliability, and accuratcy.

rugger p95, good gun, been around....the glocks arent bad, but ppl say there cheaply made...shot them, and they shoot just fine. ....sr9's are new..not sure about them

springfield x-d's are great guns too!!!

pro-rider46
11-13-2008, 01:27 PM
i dont know to much about guns, but we have a berretta 92 fs, .40 cal, and its a blast to shoot, i love that gun.

hardtrailz400
11-13-2008, 01:35 PM
My buddy has a p95 and sr9.

We both would rather shoot the sr9. He has put about 1000 rounds through it and loves it. I think it feels better.

The p95 has been around a long time and are dang good guns.

I have not met anyone that didnt like their glock, but I have nver shot one much.

I think it is more of a personal preference. Go find a place to shoot them all and see what feels the best. Spending a few bucks at a store with a range will make your purchase a lot easier.

Tommy 17
11-13-2008, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by ben300

springfield x-d's are great guns too!!!

right now i'm shooting a springfield XD .40 s&w with the ported barrel and I love it. Very smooth, reliable, and accurate and the price tag and resale are high.

Its a little big for a carry gun but I manage to do it when needed.

11-13-2008, 02:47 PM

thought you were unable to own firearms legally because of your past "run ins" with the law?

SPDSNYPR
11-13-2008, 03:05 PM
Simple - Glock.

Not that much more expensive than the Ruger, and is in a completely different class. Right now the top IDPA and IPSC shooters in the world either shoot 1911s or Glocks. Everything else is way behind. The 1911 is more accurate if tuned, but is less reliable out of the box. It is also more expensive. The LE market is pretty close to owned by Glock. I have shot just about everything there is - and most of them a lot. All of my SD weapons (excepting one Smith revolver) are Glocks. They are not cheaply made - they are dead nuts reliable and more durable than anything else I have seen so far. I have litterally shot 3000 rounds in a period of about 3 weeks without cleaning one of my Glocks. And I can hit a steel silhoutte (sp) target with my duty pistol at 200 yards consistently (once i figured out the hold-over).

reptikes
11-13-2008, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by gncc89
thought you were unable to own firearms legally because of your past "run ins" with the law?

Correct you are. The gun will be my fiances. I want her to have a (9mm) or (.40 with minimal kick) for her to carry. And a 20 gauge Mossberg for the house.

SPDSNYPR
11-13-2008, 05:44 PM
Correct you are. The gun will be my fiances. I want her to have a (9mm) or (.40 with minimal kick) for her to carry. And a 20 gauge Mossberg for the house.

I don't know about the laws in PA - but here the law is about possession as much as ownership. If you live in the same house any 'house gun' would be constructively in your possession. You might want to rethink this deal. I'd ask a local LEO about your local laws. Don't ask a defense attorney - they are wrong most of the time (hence them having a job and all).

reptikes
11-13-2008, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by SPDSNYPR
I don't know about the laws in PA - but here the law is about possession as much as ownership. If you live in the same house any 'house gun' would be constructively in your possession. You might want to rethink this deal. I'd ask a local LEO about your local laws. Don't ask a defense attorney - they are wrong most of the time (hence them having a job and all).

I just can not have it on my persons, or in a car (with the gun) without the guns owner. As im told by an Lt. at our local P.D.

NED441SUZ
11-13-2008, 07:00 PM
Glock or HK

hypersnyper6947
11-14-2008, 02:31 AM
Glocks are not cheaply made i agree many people love and swear by them, but i hate the ergonomics especially the grip angle. I personally love my 1911 its amazing, if i was to choose another hand gun that was polymer and price was no issue than HK all the way, if price is an issue springfield XD. I will own an XD soon, i have read the torture test on the XD and they rock. Feel them both in your/her hand. If this is for a chick to conceal they will all be to big anyways. Look at the kahr pm9 or pm40. Also you also need to make sure she can cock the gun, most girls have a hard time with this, that is why the berretta tomcat is great. There is alot to think about here. Is she going to conceal in her purse, on her self ???? I need more details and i will be happy help you choose. As for the 20ga skip the mossberg and get a remington 870, if its good enough for law enforcement its good enough for me.

MOFO
11-14-2008, 04:39 AM
Another vote for Glock. :chinese:

I've been shooting a G23 for 4-5 years now and have yet to have an issue (other than the increasing ammo prices!).

hardtrailz400
11-14-2008, 06:17 AM
"As for the 20ga skip the mossberg and get a remington 870, if its good enough for law enforcement its good enough for me."

Most law I know has or had a Mossberg 500 and swear by it. My friend that worked as a sheriff had a 500 as his partner and still has the gun because of the fact it always worked. He even just bought his Grandson a 500 for his first gun.

I have had mine for years and it always get the job done, plus it is still cheaper to buy one.

bradley300
11-14-2008, 06:43 AM
Originally posted by hardtrailz400
"As for the 20ga skip the mossberg and get a remington 870, if its good enough for law enforcement its good enough for me."

Most law I know has or had a Mossberg 500 and swear by it. My friend that worked as a sheriff had a 500 as his partner and still has the gun because of the fact it always worked. He even just bought his Grandson a 500 for his first gun.

I have had mine for years and it always get the job done, plus it is still cheaper to buy one.

bought a 870 super mag just yesterday:D

Pappy
11-14-2008, 07:54 AM
I will go a different route and say that if it is indeed for your wife, think more along the lines of a .38 revolver. Loaded with ++p it will put an end to just about anything she may encounter, fit her hand much better and she should be able to control it better.

Most men I know would be better served with a smaller framed handgun, simply because they lack the hand size or range time to learn to effectively control a larger handgun.

Glock would get my vote if a semi-auto is an absolute. Remington also sells a youth model 870 in 20 ga. Perfect home defense weapon as it manuvers better in a doorway/hallway then a full size shotgun.

reptikes
11-14-2008, 08:03 AM
Originally posted by hypersnyper6947
Glocks are not cheaply made i agree many people love and swear by them, but i hate the ergonomics especially the grip angle. I personally love my 1911 its amazing, if i was to choose another hand gun that was polymer and price was no issue than HK all the way, if price is an issue springfield XD. I will own an XD soon, i have read the torture test on the XD and they rock. Feel them both in your/her hand. If this is for a chick to conceal they will all be to big anyways. Look at the kahr pm9 or pm40. Also you also need to make sure she can cock the gun, most girls have a hard time with this, that is why the berretta tomcat is great. There is alot to think about here. Is she going to conceal in her purse, on her self ???? I need more details and i will be happy help you choose. As for the 20ga skip the mossberg and get a remington 870, if its good enough for law enforcement its good enough for me.

The (majority of the wives) of the guys at work have glock 17 or 19 or the P95. I can't find prices on the springfield XD (all i hear is good things). I shot a shot gun when i was some what younger, and in kicked like a mother_____! I wanna make sure she can shoot it. One of her girlfriends is about an inch shorter and 20-25 pounds lighter and she shots a 20 guage moss NO problem.

reptikes
11-14-2008, 08:07 AM
Originally posted by Pappy
I will go a different route and say that if it is indeed for your wife, think more along the lines of a .38 revolver. Loaded with ++p it will put an end to just about anything she may encounter, fit her hand much better and she should be able to control it better.

Most men I know would be better served with a smaller framed handgun, simply because they lack the hand size or range time to learn to effectively control a larger handgun.

Glock would get my vote if a semi-auto is an absolute. Remington also sells a youth model 870 in 20 ga. Perfect home defense weapon as it manuvers better in a doorway/hallway then a full size shotgun.

Pappy, if you were in my position and your ol' ladie felt comfortable with the glock, P95, or the springfield XD would you go that route?

Pappy
11-14-2008, 08:19 AM
It really depends on the shooter. If she can handle a full size handgun then more power to her. My wife has small hands and has carried a .38 for the last 15 years. She can put 6 in the kill zone as fast as she can pull the trigger from a purse draw at ranges from 3 to 15 yards. (average shooting is 3 yards) I dont know about you, but I would rather get nicked by a 40 fired 17 times then drilled in the chest by 6 hollow-points:p

I see women at the range blasting away with all sorts of stuff and while they might get lucky, the majority wont be hitting much, especially when the stress factor is ramped up. (Men as well, I think they watch to much TV....lol)

9mm is still fairly inexpensive and might be an option in a Glock. I personally carry a Glock 22C and have 100% confidence that when I need it, it will fire and I will hit my attacker. I still carry 1911's of various manufacture, but the Glock is always at the ready just like a revolver, and with a retention holster, I feel pretty secure if a scuffle occcurs that it wont be snatched and used on me.

No matter what you end up getting, practice as much as you can afford. And keep the layout of your home in mind as it will dictate what firearm and defense posture you may need to seek as well. A .223 from an AR will go through alot of walls where a shotgun with 00 or Tungsten (This is what I use) wont put others in harms way across the street. Also have a plan, I believe you have kids. In all honesty, a locked gun for protection is almost a waste in many real world protection situations and with kids around that havent grown up with firearms, locking them up only makes sense.

Good locks on the doors that slow the advance, a dog, anything to buy you a few seconds to retreat and obtain your firearm should be considered.

77rigid
11-14-2008, 08:58 AM
I bought the Springfield XD 40 compact for my wife and she loves it.She has small hands and tried every pistol in the store and said this was the most comfortable one.I have a Smith & Wesson P99 40 cal that I use.They have the interchangeable back straps for different sized hands so they can satisfy multiple shooters grips.

reptikes
11-14-2008, 08:58 AM
It really depends on the shooter. If she can handle a full size handgun then more power to her. My wife has small hands and has carried a .38 for the last 15 years. She can put 6 in the kill zone as fast as she can pull the trigger from a purse draw at ranges from 3 to 15 yards. (average shooting is 3 yards) I dont know about you, but I would rather get nicked by a 40 fired 17 times then drilled in the chest by 6 hollow-points:p

I see women at the range blasting away with all sorts of stuff and while they might get lucky, the majority wont be hitting much, especially when the stress factor is ramped up. (Men as well, I think they watch to much TV....lol)

9mm is still fairly inexpensive and might be an option in a Glock. I personally carry a Glock 22C and have 100% confidence that when I need it, it will fire and I will hit my attacker. I still carry 1911's of various manufacture, but the Glock is always at the ready just like a revolver, and with a retention holster, I feel pretty secure if a scuffle occcurs that it wont be snatched and used on me.

No matter what you end up getting, practice as much as you can afford. And keep the layout of your home in mind as it will dictate what firearm and defense posture you may need to seek as well. A .223 from an AR will go through alot of walls where a shotgun with 00 or Tungsten (This is what I use) wont put others in harms way across the street. Also have a plan, I believe you have kids. In all honesty, a locked gun for protection is almost a waste in many real world protection situations and with kids around that havent grown up with firearms, locking them up only makes sense.

Good locks on the doors that slow the advance, a dog, anything to buy you a few seconds to retreat and obtain your firearm should be considered.

I have a 85-95 lb. American Pit Bull Terrier. You would have to shot him to get past him. That would give enough time to get to the shelf in the closet and retrieve the shot gun. Only my youngest lives with me, he can't get to the top shelf in the closet. At night time her purse is on that same top shelf.

SPDSNYPR
11-14-2008, 09:34 AM

I thought the same thing when this was originally posted, but didn't say anything since it was not an option from your original list.

I'll say this first as a disclaimer - involve your wife in the process. What you think might be good for her is likely based upon your opinions/wants/abilities. They are very likely different for her. What you think she might like might end up being the worst choice. Bring her along on everything if you can.

My wife cannot operate a semi-auto very well. No matter how much I want her to, she doesn't care enough to work at it and get better. She is very comfortable with a revolver because of it's simplicity of loading. No slide to cut your finger on or struggle to pull back. Seeing if it's loaded is very straight forward. And she can hit what she shoots at with minimal training. It works for her.

I'm not saying that's all women - I know women who can run a semi-auto better than most men. But because of hand strength, most women struggle a little more with a semi.

Also - avoid the little tiny "women" revolvers. They weigh nothing, and hurt more to shoot. If you want to make sure she doesn't shoot well, hurt her a few times while she's learning. A snubby made of steel will mitigate the recoil of whatever ammo she is using more than titanium, scandium, or any other "ium" out there. It weighs a little more, but unless she is walking 15 miles with it, it will make little difference.

hypersnyper6947
11-14-2008, 09:48 AM
I agree with the above statements that revolvers are prob the best options for a women. Although my girlfriend can destroy the kill zone all day long with my 1911, its not much of a CCW weapon though for someone as small as her. I say go to a local gun show whenever it comes in town and have here hold EVERYTHING. Then you can narrow it down to a few. A lot of ranges have gun rental and you may be able to rent some of your picks. Its all about which one feels best in her hand, that is why i prefer the XD over the glock, i just like the way it feels better its grip angle is more like a 1911.

reptikes
11-14-2008, 10:09 AM
Pappy and SPDSNYPR, she is involved in the whole process. (and yes SPDSNYPR, i have been basing it upon my opinions/wants/abilities.) I don't mean to exactly but if i'm in reach of that gun (when/if it would need used to protect my wife/son/self) felon or not i'll be behind the trigger! I'll deal with those consequences. But ya i need to consider her a lot more.

user101
11-14-2008, 10:20 AM
I carry a s&w .40 glock.

Have a ar-15 for home defense, along w/ a couple of hounds.

mxracer97
11-14-2008, 11:53 AM
Of the guns you listed, I would go with a Glock 19. My wife can hit fairly well with one, and it seems to fit her hands okay. If you aren't dead set on one of the guns you listed, I would take Pappy's suggestion and look at a revolver.

ALAMX37
11-14-2008, 12:02 PM
Sig Sauer, I own a P226 and a P220.
I wouldn't trade my 226 for anything. works well with my hidden holster in almost any clothing situation.

I have only been home a week since I went to ATL and a guy tried to rob me. I spent two weeks in metro until self defense was accepted. Might not be alive to tell if it wasn't for my 226.