PDA

View Full Version : direct drive

bigjakesdad
11-12-2008, 09:47 PM
After breaking our crank the first year of racing ,I was bond and determined to come up some other way to fix this problem.Our 2008 build incorporated a direct drive system that I put together.
With these systems you can build your full on race motor.
You lose all the centrifigal clutch weight and all that excess fywheel weight, throw that stuff in the trash. Bolt on your fully ported monster head,26mm carb.,FMF exhaust,High comp. piston,inner rotor kit(You have to customize the left cover plate),thin head gaskets,Be sure to clay the motor. I had to machine piston by hand to get good clearance for the 27mm intake valves(new cam has huge lift).
I am working with T-bolt USA to produce some kits to sell on their site.
With these direct drive systems installed these motors will rock!
Yes they will take hole shots on full on Hetrick race Hondas And Polaris's. Have not raced any 90 Cobra yet ,but have raced some 70's(Jake easily took everybody on the holeshot) I'm not sure on the horses were making (nobody close has a dyno for quads). Will be putting one of these motors in a pitbike this winter to have dyno'd.
Check with Tbolt usa in a few weeks if your interested.
He has all the parts to make these things fly.(with some mods of coarse)
My next project is to get the brakes to perform alot better.
That's all I can say for now .Good luck in 2009 season-Lets make these things fly.
I will try to attach a pic of Jake launching a Double at the Midwest Am. Championship that he won! If the attach don't work go to Durablue.com Page 11 sponsored riders and you can see it and others there.

Ride1Rob
11-13-2008, 06:48 AM
Sounds good. But I've done all those mods other than the irk and the bike has held up good so far. From the information that I gathered was that the cranks were breaking bc of the irk. I have heard that the centrifugal clutch slows the bike tremendously to rev. I was told to have it removed and place on the 1st gear and the bike will rev better than modified 2strokes as well. I have tried to contact those that are supposed to do this mod but have had no luck in getting quotes :rolleyes: . How much will your kits be going for?

bigjakesdad
11-14-2008, 03:09 PM
I can't give a price yet! But check with TBOLT in a couple of weeks or so. I have spent alot of time and resources to develop and test these kits. We wanted to sure they would hold up in real world conditions. They were developed to be used in a 125 National Legal Motor. They were developed for the dual clutch motors ,not the gen. 3 motors. The only clutch that remains is the one mounted on tranny input shaft.These kits should do very well with the larger bore kits. We do not have a modified class (outlaw) in Northern Indiana. My main goal was to get as much power out of these motors as I could and make them reliable.
The kits have a much larger diameter crankshaft in the right side of the motor,A much heavier oil pump drive gear,heavier primary gear, and new clutch basket gear,and a few other custom parts,to make it all work toghether.
Once my boy figured out what "Ride it like a 2 stroke" meant. He has been tearing up the track. It took him a while ,because I kept changing things in and on the motor every other time he raced it.
The IRK's did not break the cranks they merely highlighted a weak point in the motor. We broke our original crank with just a race cam added to our then stock head. You have to go with a stronger crank and loose all that extra wieght (to much spinning enertia with speed shifting kills the stock cranks).

Ride1Rob
11-14-2008, 07:01 PM
SWEET! Yeah I talked with Vince and he's going to keep me posted. I've just ordered about $500 worth of parts from him. My wife would kill me if she knew lol. He was explaining the setup to me. Keep me posted as I'd like to run the setup here in Florida when it's available ;)

lilman
11-18-2008, 09:46 PM
i want one too

jrkapel
11-19-2008, 06:22 AM
Will this work on the 90cc motor?

bigjakesdad
11-19-2008, 01:37 PM
Sorry these will not work on the 90cc motors. These work on the Xtreme 125 dual clutch systems. The 125 has the cent. clutch on the crank and the Secondary clutch on the tranny input shaft.

Ride1Rob
11-20-2008, 09:16 PM
So what all comes with this kit? I'm assuming a completely different crank, rotor kit, and ?????

leager-n-ky
01-06-2009, 09:48 PM
Any more info on this, Did it ever get worked out??

Ride1Rob
01-07-2009, 05:42 AM
I've been trying to get into contact with him via PM's for around a month now with no success. The local race series starts this weekend here so I'm not going to switch anything up. We'll run the motor the way it is for this season and see what happens.

bigjakesdad
01-09-2009, 12:02 AM
Hey guy's ,call T-Bolt-USA . He hasn't posted the pics on his site yet but he has access to Kits.
The Kits cost more to produce than expected, and are a little complicated to install ( some drilling and tapping and heating of the case to press in new parts). These kits are not a bolt on and go installation and Vince thinks they should be installed by a pro.
I think that if somebody has the knowledge to tear one of these down and put it back together again they should have no problem installing.But he's been doing this longer than I ,so we are going to try his way first.
Vince feels it's best to sell these as a motor build. We would not be making much profit (if any) on the kits. He can make money on the parts and I will make some on the builds. He was talking about 1000-1200 dollars to tansform your motors.
If we sell just the kits they would have to sell for about 500.00 to make it worth all the time and labor to produce the kits. We feel that's too high and would be better off including them in a motor build.
If you are already a customer of his,and already have your ported head and high comp. piston . I think he would work something out with you. (Don't Quote me on that though)I don't want to put words in his mouth. He is my supplier for some of parts I need to produce these kits.
so call him and see what he says!

Ride1Rob
01-09-2009, 05:39 AM
Man! That is a nice whop of money. But included in a rebuild it's not a bad price. Myself, I build my 450 motor and my sons motor so it wouldn't make much since for me to send it out to have it redone by someone else.