View Full Version : Oil eater :(

monkeyballs
11-12-2008, 06:38 PM
Good day, my ex is eating oil and idk if its the piston or if its the valves. How can I tell if its the valves or the piston? I did a comp test and its pretty low but it could be cuz the valves are not spaced....

rideracelivemx7
11-12-2008, 10:49 PM
if the compression was low then its your rings, valves wont really mess with the compression unless its waaayyy out of spec then it would be running like apsolute ***. is it smokeing blue or white?

brian76708
11-13-2008, 04:28 AM
Originally posted by monkeyballs
Good day, my ex is eating oil and idk if its the piston or if its the valves. How can I tell if its the valves or the piston? I did a comp test and its pretty low but it could be cuz the valves are not spaced....

just to make sure did you hold the throttle at full throttle when you cranked it for the compression test.

monkeyballs
11-13-2008, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by brian76708
just to make sure did you hold the throttle at full throttle when you cranked it for the compression test. Yes I did hold it WOT. Then it is lightly smoking.. Not white.

Well I think its time for a rebuild :D. I alredy ordered a hole top end kit. With valve seals. Then I got hc stg 1 and wiseco 11:1 light weight piston :D. Think I will be happy with the stg 1? I do alot of trail riding and alot of side roads. And to make sure 400ex's stg 1 hot cams are low end mid range right?

drew416ex
11-13-2008, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by monkeyballs
Yes I did hold it WOT. Then it is lightly smoking.. Not white.

Well I think its time for a rebuild :D. I alredy ordered a hole top end kit. With valve seals. Then I got hc stg 1 and wiseco 11:1 light weight piston :D. Think I will be happy with the stg 1? I do alot of trail riding and alot of side roads. And to make sure 400ex's stg 1 hot cams are low end mid range right?

Yeah thats a low to mid cam.

11-13-2008, 09:50 PM
stage 1 hotcam and 10:1 wiseco comes off low end very nice and mid range is just awesome. top end is deffinately more there than stock but the midrange hits hardest with the stage 1 i love it. i miss my brother having it but he blew it up so once i get my suspension done thats going in. I have actually ridden a 400ex with stage 1, 2, and 3. i'm not a fan of the stage 2 hotcam unless its on a big bore and the stage3 on a stroker motor is crazy because it will pull to 10,000RPM like nothingsince its a top end cam but its just not how i like my power. I like the decent off the line, midrange hit with a good top end increase of the stage 1 i'm pretty sure you will be happy with it.

monkeyballs
11-14-2008, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
stage 1 hotcam and 10:1 wiseco comes off low end very nice and mid range is just awesome. top end is deffinately more there than stock but the midrange hits hardest with the stage 1 i love it. i miss my brother having it but he blew it up so once i get my suspension done thats going in. I have actually ridden a 400ex with stage 1, 2, and 3. i'm not a fan of the stage 2 hotcam unless its on a big bore and the stage3 on a stroker motor is crazy because it will pull to 10,000RPM like nothingsince its a top end cam but its just not how i like my power. I like the decent off the line, midrange hit with a good top end increase of the stage 1 i'm pretty sure you will be happy with it.
Awsome ty :D. Cant wait to get this going. Sucks that I g2 wait a week for the parts :(. And one more question idk if I need heavy duty engin stuts? From I hear 400ex's are bad with gaskets.. But I think some one told me that thats only when u put like 14:1 comp.. Any clue if I need hd engin studs? And im also planning on putting an advance timing key in the future. (and I understand how some ppl thing that I cant run the advance timing key with the high comp but its not high enough..)

Any who ty for the info CANT WAIT! :D

11-14-2008, 04:32 PM
the sparks key and a 11:1 piston may require race gas. I knew of an instance with a 10.8:1 piston and the key and it had a lot of pinging on pump gas. There are other variables that could have caused it like bad gas or high heat so I dont really know if you can or cant run 11:1 and the key on pump.

monkeyballs
11-14-2008, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
the sparks key and a 11:1 piston may require race gas. I knew of an instance with a 10.8:1 piston and the key and it had a lot of pinging on pump gas. There are other variables that could have caused it like bad gas or high heat so I dont really know if you can or cant run 11:1 and the key on pump.
K but how will supreme gas be? Becaus I will be running that now. And I head from some one that it would be ok. So what about the hd engin studs?