PDA

View Full Version : 450R Carb Problems, help?!

r-exrider0003
11-12-2008, 06:33 PM
Well, I've gotta 04 450R carb on my 426ex and i wasnt sure where i should post this so i think ill try both the 450R section and the 400Ex section. --- So heres the problem. Over the past month, i've been having this weird problem where my carb will just start overflowwing out the drain tube. I took it apart once, cleaned it. Still same problem. I just recently took it apart, cleaned the he11 out of it. I used an entire can of carb cleaner, mostly on the bowl, but to every thing else off and cleaned it too. Even took the little 'diaphram pump' thing off the bowl and cleaned it. I put a little bit of wd-40 on the hinge of the float, thinking it could have been sticking. Well i get it back together, and it still leaks? Has anyone ran into a similar problem, or have any idea what it could be? thanks alot-

Wheelie
11-12-2008, 09:11 PM
Check the float for holes or leaks, and inspect and/or replace the needle valve. Also inspect the needle seat for debris or damage.

shrtbuss01
11-18-2008, 07:14 PM
Check your float for leaks

Pipeless416
11-18-2008, 07:44 PM
i had the same problem and it really put a damper on our trip to little sahara last winter.. lost a lot of gas too! i found it to be crap coming in through the gas inlet. i had to make a custom fuel hose, and i guess there were chunks of rubber inside the hose from when i cut it.. buy another can of carb cleaner and spray it around the inside of that inlet, along with up where the float needle seats. you'll find your problem soon enough :p . you could also use compressed air.

NacsMXer
11-18-2008, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by Wheelie
Check the float for holes or leaks, and inspect and/or replace the needle valve. Also inspect the needle seat for debris or damage.

Definitely replace the float needle valve, it's under the float. Here's a pic of what it looks like in case you don't already know.
http://www.sudco.com/images/018-883.gif

I had the same problem with my FCR 39 carb. Turned the gas on with the engine running and it would just dump out of the overflow, completely bypassing the motor. Cleaned the carb, needle valve and seat. Ensured that the needle valve itself was not sticking. Still had the same problem with the fuel overflow. Once I put a new needle valve in it, everything was back to normal.