PDA

View Full Version : Axle problems

hockles
11-12-2008, 12:20 PM
I just brought my 400ex to a repair shop to get looked at because my axle bearings were shot. He told me that i need new bearings, carrier, axle and hubs. My question is: how hard are those to replace? does it require special tools at all? i normally do all my own repairs but ive never worked on quads at all.

elmer91
11-12-2008, 01:23 PM
if the bearings went bad, i can understand needing new bearings, carrier and axle if the bearings were that bad, but not the hubs?

and as for replacing, you dont need any special tools. once you get everything off, you just need a big hammer and a hitting block. i am not sure about on the 400, but a lot of quads have a circlip and you have to have tool to remove that.

dariusld
11-12-2008, 06:04 PM
Alot of times when people wait to long to replace bad bearings, it also ruins the carrier. I replaced just the bearings and used no special tools. The more you work on your quad the easier it gets. The first time you do something on your quad, you have some doubts, but after that its "a walk in the park". As long as you have Google, you can do anything:)