PDA

View Full Version : Is the AMA trying to eliminate motorcross?

ATVer14
12-13-2002, 03:14 PM
Well, I was in a book store yesterday, and I picked up a bike motorcross magazine, and was flipping through it when I saw an article that caught my eye. Here's the basic jist of it. They started off by saying that in order to race the nationals, a rider has to buy a $300 Professional AMA card, this will come into play later in the story. I guess a number of years ago, the AMA cut the 250 class motorcross enteries to just a few of the top riders, and in doing so they almost killed the 250 class. Then repealed the rule, and luckly the class revived itself. Now, as if they havn't learned their lesson, they have cut entries back to 100 in the 250 class. Their reasoning was that they wanted to eliminate Saturday qualifying, which could be a good argument, except that they can only run 80 guys on a good Sunday, so they havn't eliminated Saturday qualifiers. Seems to me there was an alterier (sp) motive there (government pressures???) They will still take your $300 bucks, but now they arn't gauranteeing you a shot at the nationals. Maybe it was just me, but it seems like the AMA is slowly trying to cut back on motorcross. Just thought I'd share that with you. Has anyone else heard this? Did I understand it all correctly? Thanks
Kenny

tprender
12-13-2002, 03:47 PM
You are asking a bike question to ATV people. And yes the Pro's in the bike's have to have a pro lincese to ride. ATV's and bike's are different.

Ryan
12-13-2002, 05:09 PM
I got six words, (I think) :D Join the atva, not the ama. Thats to any atvers out their.

ATVer14
12-13-2002, 06:29 PM
I know, I've already cancelled my AMA, I'm signing up for the ATVA next season. Also, this wasn't really a question, it was more of an opinion. I just wanted to share this information to show that the AMA isn't being that great to motocrosser's either. I might even say that they are more for street bikes now.

12-13-2002, 07:18 PM
ok..because they don't wanna spend one whole day to one class they cut the limit..so..would you rather be racing or watching cause 500 people wanna run 250 pro

tprender
12-13-2002, 07:30 PM
You need to understand that to race a Pro bike MX you must have a Pro license. At your local race when they say pro it is not the same these Pro's. To get this Pro bike license you have to show or prove that you can ride with the other Pro riders.
The ATVA is thinking about doing this for the GNC Pro class and I have heard that the GNCC will do it next year for the Pro and Pro-Production class. What this does is to stop Joe local who has raced a few local fair races and done good. He get's a big head and shows up at a GNC or GNCC race and wants to ride the Pro class. Should he be alowed to ride the Pro class, "B" riders are better and faster. The Pro ATV ridrs do want the Pro license.

MxDale71
12-15-2002, 09:57 AM
YOu can't play in the NBA/NFL/NHL unless you're good enough, so you shouldn't be able to enter the Pro Class unless you're fast enough.