PDA

View Full Version : My GasGas 300 2-stroke

lt250r91
12-13-2002, 03:07 PM
There is a link in my sig. that will take you to my pics on this quad. Also here is a link to GT Thunder with pics of the new a-arms I had made and a Dyno sheet on the quad.

http://www.gtthunder.com/Gasgas.html

Mxbubs
12-13-2002, 03:52 PM
Hot Dog! Is that in the US? I like them, also like the new ERASER.

12-13-2002, 05:21 PM
nice :D

12-13-2002, 05:30 PM
:eek: :cool:

Rip_Tear
12-13-2002, 05:55 PM
Nice gas gas.

12-13-2002, 06:00 PM
this guys lieing i dont think he has one

bring it to nj and show me hahaha

Juggalo
12-13-2002, 06:35 PM
he does have one. i see him post about it all the time at atv connection. he has it at GT thunder (i think right?) getting it so its less wide so he can race gncc on it. call them if you don't believe he has one. lt250- i'm glad you came here i think if you look around you'll start to like this site a lot better than atv connection. i barely ever post at the connection anymore.

lt250r91
12-13-2002, 08:23 PM
For you non believers here is a picture of it next to my dale.

Juggalo
I decided to become a memeber after reading a couple post by another memeber slamming me on here:blah
I got the GasGas back today from GT Thunder so it'll be at Honda Hills next week defending itself.

Sparks425Ex
12-13-2002, 09:01 PM
Very Sweet. How does it run?

lt250r91
12-13-2002, 09:23 PM
Smooth, very smooth. I let the dealer I bought my cannondale off of ride it today. His comment was ' I've never rode a 2-stroke that has that smooth of a powerband and your right about those front brakes. You don't want to grab them, just feather them a little'.

This this handles good. The steerind is a little on the stiff side and the rear shock is a little stiff, but that can be adjusted. The horn is a nice added feature and I'm sure the guys I race against will be using alot of choice words about it.:D Only complaits are the location of the rear shock adjustments are a real B to get to and the open airbox (no lid). Other than that I'm very happy with it. Lazarus did find a problem with the airbox hitting the swingarm when the shock bottoms out. He talked to GasGas about and they are working on a fix for it. They aske him if he was interested in setting up a machine with the a-arms I had him make for me for Jeremy Rice on his sponsored GasGas for the 03 GNCC season. So it sounds like GasGas is going to be a player next year with Rice piloting one for them.

lt250r91
12-13-2002, 09:24 PM
Here's the dnyo sheet on the quad that GT Thunder did.

lt250r91
12-13-2002, 09:27 PM
Here is a picture of the new GT Thunder A-Arms that were made to reduce the width from 51" to 47"

lt250r91
12-13-2002, 09:30 PM
Here is a picture that Lazarus took of the quad while it was in his shop with the new a-arms bolted-up

lt250r91
12-13-2002, 09:32 PM
last one unless you want more. Here is a picture of the factory lower a-arm.

12-13-2002, 11:27 PM
oh i believed he had it i was just saying i wanted him to bring it to nj so i can ride it haha

rookiex
12-14-2002, 09:05 AM
Honda hills take it somewhere that you can atleast hit somthing over 50 ft....they dont even have a double there.....just a bunch of turns and 3 tables tops the biggest thing there is 70 ft and thats easy....If you are really going out to ride it I want to see hit be jumped....I live in ashville....an if I wasnt hurt you could really test it....compared to the ex track wise
I love racing with new bikes the first time I ever got on a track was honda hills back in june and there was 3 dales and a 250r they where all vary nice...But if it wasnt for them 4 riders teaching me that day I wouldnt have got 4th place in 4 stroke B the next day....I really want to see that thing run tell me where your going out and Ill make a trip to thornville.....o yeah tell detra the track owner to fix them ruts ...... she'll let you in for free lol...

lt250r91
12-14-2002, 09:20 AM
I agree honda Hills mx wise is weak very weak, but remember I'm a woods racer not a mx racer. So I don't like to jump too high.

Second thing is i was told by GT Thunder to not bottom the rear shock out do to the fact the airbox will hit the swingarm and destory the airbox. GasGas is aware of the problem and are working on fix. Lazarus told me to go ahead and race it just don't do anything real crazy and then bring it back up to him to get that fix. He said the linkage pivot needs to be shorten on the rear shock and then the bottom of the airbox needs to be modify. I called the dealer to see if he was aware of the problem and he said GasGas called him and said it was only happening in extreme casing and they were working on changing the set-up.

rookiex
12-14-2002, 09:26 AM
Yeah....No matter whats wrong with the air box I think its a vary nice quad I have just never seen one up close and I would like to see it go I do go to honda hills alot for a mid day session so maybe ill see you sometime...my dad has always liked that gas gas ...... it would be interesting to see a modded say 265R real nice get along side it on the stright way....I also want to know....how are them front shocks they are beefy if there made by ohlins you know there good they just look like they have a little more spring to them then a c dale's ohlins...

tants
12-14-2002, 09:28 AM
:eek:

lt250r91
12-14-2002, 09:37 AM
The front are the big body shocks. I think there the 46 series and the cannondales are the 36 series. They are alot bigger than the cannondales. Lazarus (Gt Thunder owner) said if you were to buy a set of the fronts it would run you around $1500. So they must be the top of the line that Ohlins makes. I'm impressed with the suspension, just got to get it dialed in right for me. As for drag racing the GasGas blows away my cannondale at the top speed catagory and I was just getting it into 6th gear. I'd say you'd have to have a 330 kit in a R to be able to hang top-speed wise with it.

rookiex
12-14-2002, 09:48 AM
That bike sounds bad.....hey you want a first place trophy and some cash theres a race in jackson.....you can be the first person to race the gas gas:D

lt250r91
12-14-2002, 09:58 AM
I thought about racing the whole series, but cash flow problems changed my mind. I got laid off at the end of Oct. and have been colecting unemployment since. With 2 quad payments, insurance and christmas coming. I decide it would be best to lay low on the racing side. I'm definity going to Honda Hills next weekend to race the first harescramble of the 03 season and I'll be on the GasGas.

flyin#5
12-14-2002, 12:53 PM
:eek: Lucky bass-turd

gun32boarder
12-14-2002, 01:45 PM
trade me please lol, that bike is so awsome :D

TC17
12-14-2002, 06:20 PM
i had a dream about that thing last night but it was grean and the owner told me it was a KFX700:huh. awesome. i guess all i can do is dream. very nice!

AndreS
12-14-2002, 09:55 PM
i saw one of the gasgas quads at the seattle m/c show today. i'm impressed!( i by the way others were reacting, they thought the same) that is one very sharp machine. instead if building a Z400, the gasgas may be my next ride too... they look a lot better in person than in pics. best thing about it is that it needs virtually no mods really, it's all done- skids, nerfs, wider A-arms, great suspension, cr-mo frame, etc.... they did thier homework.

LT250r91- i noticed that you have hyper wheels on it, is the gas gas the same bolt pattern as honda 400ex, z400, & c-dale? (4x110 rear, 4x144 front)

beerock
12-14-2002, 11:26 PM
ya thats one bad arse quad.

12-14-2002, 11:59 PM
hey supertrapp you are still slow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! just kidding mike nice quad

rookiex
12-15-2002, 08:56 AM
Do any of you ohio riders race the MX circit it D 11??

indygncc
12-15-2002, 05:00 PM
LT250:
Did you run stock class this year in the GNCC?

popo
12-15-2002, 11:16 PM
this guys lieing i dont think he has one

Very doubtful that he is lieing. I have seen it in person and it's just a cool in person rather than photos.

lt250r91
12-16-2002, 07:59 AM
AndreS
Yep, the bolt pattern is the same as the 400ex. I put my extra set off the cannondale on it. The fronts are 4-1 offset, the only problem with the front is the inner bell rubs the brake caliber a little. I called Hiper about the problem and they had me send some pics of it. They said it wouldn't hurt anything and they would work on opening up the bell so there is no problem with future rims.

Indygncc
Yep, I was in the stock 4-stroke class on a cannondale speed. Finished 21st in the class.

Gnccer
I maybe slow but I'll at least have the coolest ride this year.:blah

raptor_02
12-16-2002, 11:16 AM
does it have a lot more power than the dale???? I also read that you could buy a 250cc piston instead of the 300. You think it could still take the dale with a 250cc piston??

lt250r91
12-16-2002, 11:40 AM
Seat of the pants power no. The cannondale hits harder so it feels like it has more power. The dyno on the GasGas is about 43 hp to the rear wheels. I've never tested the Cannondale but I've read it puts out anywhere from 33 to 39 to the rear wheels. So actual Hp the GasGas has more than the cannondale, but it's more useable power and smoother than the dale.

Yes you can put a 250 GasGas dirtbike top end on the quad and make it a 250cc version. By doing this you will loose some power, but I don't know how much. I don't know what the HP difference it would make, but I'd guess it'd be around the 35 Hp range. With the 250 piston it would be a close match. I'd guess the dale would come out on top since it give the 300 a run until you hit 4th gear.

QuadTrix6
12-16-2002, 01:56 PM
im yet to see one moving, i know they look nice but lets see a moving pic :D

rookiex
12-16-2002, 07:32 PM
I am going to honda hills to watch it go and ill tape it and get it on here.....then there will be no doubt about it.....

QuadTrix6
12-17-2002, 05:50 PM
im J/P i believe he has it but i just wanna see the thing moving, im curious as to how it handle and roosts and stuff :blah :cool:

AndreS
12-19-2002, 02:21 AM
LT250r91- a few more questions on the gasgas....

are the stock front wheels 3+2 offset?
if so, do you think an aluminum 4+1 offset wheel will fit without rubbing?

have you had any problems with it yet? how is parts availlability? what about cost compared to other makes?

now that we know wheels are easy to get, have you found any other parts that are easily compatible with other machines?
... carb jets/parts will be easy, being a keihin... what about others?

finally do you have any idea how many units gasgas will be shipping to the US? ... maybe your dealer knows? .... more is better obviously.

lt250r91
12-19-2002, 08:25 AM
I think the stock offset is 3+2, never really checked, but when I added the 4+1 carbon fibers it did narrow the front end up. The 4+1 carbon fibers work but the inner bell is a little close. If you look at how the aluminum rim profile versus the carbon fibe ones the aluminum ones open up on the inside more at the lip so as long as the lip is an 1" or so deep you shouldn't have any problems.

The only porblems I've come across with have been:
1.) when you wash it a little water gets in the airbox do to not having a lid.

2.) The kick starter bolt has come out a couple times so the kicker starter has come off during kicking. A little loctite on the 2 bolts fixes this problem.

3.) when Lazarus was puting the new front together he notice that the thread pitches are different. Ranging from 10x1.0 mm, 10x1.25, 10x1.5, and 10x1.75. So you have to watch when removing the front end componets so you don't mix up the nuts. Do to this I think one of the tie rod ends got stripped. I ordered a new one and was told it would be in today or tomorrow. So to answer the part availiblity it takes about a week to get stuff.

Like you said the carb. is a common thing and the engine is the same one that is in their dirtbike so engine parts should be easy to get. The piston is a Wiseco so rings and pistons are no problem. Part prices I have no clue on at this thing since I having bought any factory parts.

I was told by my dealer that 2 shipments of the 300's are in at the importor and a 3rd boat with a limited supply of the 450's. Actual numbers, no clue, but my dealer got 2 of the 300's and has one 450 on the way. He did say some dealers might not get any of the first batch. So I would think they will be limited on supply the first year and a second wave my show up in April or so.

If you have any more question just fire away. Also my dealer still has one of the 300's as far as I know.

chavez
12-19-2002, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by lt250r91
For you non believers here is a picture of it next to my dale.

I decided to become a memeber after reading a couple post by another memeber slamming me on here:blah
I got the GasGas back today from GT Thunder so it'll be at Honda Hills next week defending itself.

old blue i hope you do not think that i was slamming you? and if do i wasn't. i will see you saturday. glad to see you post the gasgas on here

lt250r91
12-19-2002, 12:53 PM
Nope, I was just messing with you.
Did you hear that Rummer is going to race an 03 400ex the year at the GNCC. No more green blaster chasing you unless your afraid of his dad.

chavez
12-19-2002, 12:57 PM
i here ya will he be there sat? and let me set the record straight that was one time and since i got the 400 i have been way out front lol **** down at milfield i was going so darn fast i about cought you in the mourning class lol

lt250r91
12-19-2002, 01:07 PM
i don't know if he'll be at Honda Hills or not. I talked to his mechanic (FDO) a couple months ago and he said Jeremy bought a new ex. He said Jeremy didn't know what class he was going to run at the GNCC's. I might have to call FDO and see if Rummer will be at the race.

The only reason you almost caught me was because of the collar bone. If I wasn't injuried it would have been alot different, plus I couldn't see do to all that dust. I can't take nothing away from you though you did have an awesome race.