PDA

View Full Version : Removing locknut

shok47
11-11-2008, 05:49 PM
I know this is a very famous topic, and I have read the "How to" thread, but Im a little stuck. I have the outer nut loosened and the inner nut is still very tight. I tried applying opposite force on the wrenches; inner one going downward, and the outter one going in the loosening way. I cannot get the inner nut loose at all. I started with taking off the brake caliper and mounting it on a cinder block, but I guess I will put that back on and have someone apply the brakes while I do it. Is it ok to have the outter nut loose first?

nickm328
11-11-2008, 07:17 PM
with a wrench hold the inner nut and turn the outer nut downward it's reversed threads so the outer nut will move in towards the inner nut revealing a circlip that needs to be removed then the collar with both nuts will slide off.

shok47
11-11-2008, 07:53 PM
When i turn the outer nut all the way in the stopper ring doesnt show, it is still under the nut. And I cant move the inner nut either. Any tips? First try it with the rear brake and wheels on ground?

shok47
11-11-2008, 08:42 PM
ALright, i managed to move my inner nut. I am moving it in right now and I THINK im doing the right think because since the stopping ring isnt showing, I have to move it in more so that I can then move the outer nut in and remove the ring.

Is this right?

The inside nut is still so hard to even get it to budge. I sprayed WD-40 on the threads too.

EDIT

I (200lb) sat on the bike with the rear brakes on and we used a 6ft gas pipe for leverage on the wrench but that just lifted/moved the quad!! I did manage to get it to budge a little though, like half a turn. Does anyone have ideas?

nickm328
11-12-2008, 05:10 PM
the inner nut is only a jam nut so that the outer nut dosen't move. If the inner nut is near the brake caliper then that's good enough. The outer nut will move inward by wrenching it downward (as in the wrench handle sticking out the back of the quad). It only needs to be moved in about a half inch or so to be able to remove the clip. I personally have never had any trouble with any of mine but I have read on here people having problems.

Kevslatvin
11-12-2008, 10:42 PM
Mine wasn't that hard to loosen but never did get really loose. Mine had dried mud in the threads of the nuts. Previous owner must've riden mud abit. Like others said once the inner is close to the caliper you should be able to move the outer enough to exspose the clip.

shok47
11-13-2008, 12:08 AM
Mine is basicall stuck:scary: I heated it with a propane torch for a long time, could hear it go "crack" every once and awhile. When I try and turn it, it still doesnt budge. I put a long bolt through both the sprocket and brake disc then used rachets from the sprocket and the brake disc down onto the end of my trailer so it wouldnt move and NOTHING. I also noticed that the outer one suddenly got harder when I got it to move inwards toward the swingarm.

sounds like dirt or rust build up???

shok47
11-13-2008, 03:55 PM
well We couldnt get the outer nut moving anymore. my friend who is big and has changed the carriers on his old 400ex was surprised it wouldnt even budge. We ended up breaking an SK rachets square nipple off!

I gave up, so I ended up cutting a slit with the dremel and pried it off. During this time I went a little too deep and caught about 2-3 lines of thread on the barrel thing. Since I have a RAD lock nut coming, would it be OK to keep using the barrel since it just clamps on?

There was rust and alot of locktite clogging it from moving. The carrier had so much mud and water!:macho
Also the 4 allen bolts that hold the carrier tight, one of them snapped. Should I get the Honda ones or can I go to Rockys and get Grade 8 bolts to replace them?