PDA

View Full Version : Only happens when you are trying to sell something

11-11-2008, 05:32 PM
Of course this happens when I have it up for sale...My son was riding the 2005 Eton Viper 90R I have for sale today and went through a few puddles...nothing deep...well anyways here it goes...It starts but when you give it gas it dies...so I clean the carb, air filter, etc...it has great spark, plug is wet and color is good, and now it will fire with the choke on for a few seconds and then die....does this repeatedly...I took the muffler off and there is some oil draining out of it as I have it hanging upside down to drain...I can still fire it with the choke on and it will run for a few seconds and then die even with the muffler off...the only thing I did to this quad was remove the oil tank, unplug the wire to the sender and plug the hose that goes to the engine...I have been mixing with Klotz 32:1 for weeks now...I don't have a compression gauge to test that...I pulled the reeds and they looked fine...this quad has been running great all year...sorry for the long post but I have been reading on here all night and trying different things...any other ideas?

etondaddy
11-12-2008, 06:25 AM
It sounds like it's still in the carb..... when you cleaned it did you take it all apart and blow out the jets and and the body of the carb real good.

Will it start with out the chock... ??

MIke Kozura

11-12-2008, 06:41 AM
I took the carb completely off and cleaned it good and then blew it out with compressed air...I will start for a few seconds with the choke but not as long with the choke on...

11-12-2008, 06:56 AM
yes it sounds like your main jet is clogged up run a bread tie through all the holes on all jets and see what that does for you.

etondaddy
11-12-2008, 07:07 AM
But did you remove the jets and hold them up to the light and blow them out.....????

MIke Kozura

11-12-2008, 07:10 AM
yes...I did...Fuel is flowing freely through the bowl...not sure if that matters...I loosened the screw on the bowl once I put it all back together and fuel runs freely through the hose

ww228king
11-12-2008, 07:26 AM
here is what i do when i think that i have a carb problem... find an old spray bottle and mix some oil and gas in it... take the filter off the carb and try to start it.. spray some gas in the carb and if it stays running when you spray the gas in the carb then you have some sort of trash in the carb or low compression...

11-12-2008, 07:45 AM
Originally posted by p411m
yes...I did...Fuel is flowing freely through the bowl...not sure if that matters...I loosened the screw on the bowl once I put it all back together and fuel runs freely through the hose you say you blew air through the carb. you might of opened up a ball which is a port in the carb. even if you loosened the screw and fuel flowed that just means the float is working and that is it. take out all jets and reclean them. spray fuel with the oil in it all over carb and shake for a couple hard shakes to see if ball is stuck. then see what it does if it dont change then check compression

11-12-2008, 07:54 AM
Where is the ball?

etondaddy
11-12-2008, 09:03 AM
I'm telling you dude you have to totality disassemble the carb...... every piece that will come off..... and then spray every passage with choke cleaner and then spray it with like purple power or something like that then run the hottest water you can stand through it then blow it out with air then blow out your jets and put it all back together. Just count your turns on your air screw. That's the way I did Kyle's before every race and never had a carb problem. Not being smart just trying to help. I know how frustrating these things can be when they don't run right.

Mike Kozura

11-12-2008, 09:07 AM
ok...I guess the carb is the answer...will take it apart again tonight and send you a follow-up...thanks

11-12-2008, 09:11 AM
Where is the ball? the ball is what is in the passages of the carb.

11-12-2008, 09:13 AM
ok...I read somewhere that you can clean it with soap and water too? Is that ok?

etondaddy
11-12-2008, 09:18 AM
Yes 10-4.......... like I said I use carb cleaner then purple power then hot a** water then air.

MIke Kozura

ww228king
11-12-2008, 11:46 AM
thats right.... lol i have a CBP... Carb Boiling Pot... i do the carb cleaner soak then drop it in to a pot of boiling water for about 5 mins then do the carb cleaner spray and then blow it off with air... and like they said... totally disassemble the carb...

11-12-2008, 11:50 AM
Ok...I guess I'll tell my wife to boil the water cuz we's havin' carb stew for dinner...lmao...thanks guys...day 4 hopefully this is the fix

ww228king
11-12-2008, 11:52 AM
it will smell like you are cooking collards.... no kidding..lol:D

11-12-2008, 11:53 AM
lol

etondaddy
11-12-2008, 11:55 AM
You got me beat......no boiling pot here....lol But my powdercoating time is about to start...... the old lady loves me when I turn the hot water tank up a notch or two when I'm cleaning parts...... I love the smell of the carb cleaner and purple power under the hot water..... I let the water run and get good and hot then set the carb in the wash tub under the water and just sniff...... and make the whole house smell.....she loves me. When I'm done the d*mm things so hot I toss it from hand to hand untill I get to the work bench...... and it's pretty much dry by then and then I blow it out.

MIke Kozura

ww228king
11-12-2008, 11:59 AM
lol.... i am starting to worry about you Mike..... next thing you will tell us is that you bath in purple stuff with quad parts.... hummm quad parts fetish.... lol:D

etondaddy
11-12-2008, 12:14 PM
This sh*t will take over your life......... this is my favorite time of the year....trying to sell old stuff to buy new stuff.....

Mike Kozura

ww228king
11-12-2008, 12:21 PM
i know how it is.... it is like a drug, very addicting ... but it is a great feeling when it all pays off, that smile on the kid's face when he is done ridding.... just think, this is only a kid's 20% of thier life... and i am going to make the best of that 20%....

ok, back to the carb issue...lol

11-12-2008, 12:21 PM
I hear ya...this year has been tough trying to sell stuff...the economy and holidays have been putting a damper on everything

etondaddy
11-12-2008, 12:33 PM
I'm not doing bad.......I think I have both sets of shocks sold and some small stuff...... still have a lot more stuff.......cheep !!!!!!

Yea there's nothing like when he comes back to the pits after a good race he takes off his helmet puts it on the bars gets off the quad and his little chest comes out and he walks around like he's Doug Gust or something and his buddys come over and start talking about the single to table they all did and about the track.....it's cool as h*ll. Them kids can tell you every rock rut and hole on the whole track. I love when he starts with me about did you see me here or there......I have no clue...... I just say I did buddy.....you kooked great. It's a great feeling. And then they talk all the way home about the jump they did.

Mike Kozura

11-12-2008, 12:39 PM
I here ya...I parting out my old Z400 with no problem...just got a little slow over the past month or so...When the kids are into it so much that they can't stop talking about it...it's great!

etondaddy
11-12-2008, 12:47 PM
What was this post about again.............lol :huh :huh

Mike Kozura

11-12-2008, 12:51 PM
lmao...it was about my Eton that won't go...and I am boiling my carb tonight...

ukguy
11-13-2008, 08:20 PM
is it standard carb

11-14-2008, 06:17 AM
Thank you to everyone who responded...Carb was so shiny I hated to put it back in the quad...put it in last night and it fired up and ran perfectly...thanks again...now hopefully I can sell the Eton and the KX65 to get a trx90, kfx90 or lt90

etondaddy
11-14-2008, 07:37 AM
For $8500.00 I will give you absolutely free Kyle's quad.......:devil:

08' TRX125

Mike Kozura

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g278/etondaddy/lastscan.jpg

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g278/etondaddy/100_1315.jpg

raptorobbie
11-14-2008, 08:01 AM
wow free quad!!! you can't beat it!!

just finally did the same w/ my DRR carb last night - tore off everything that would come off - cleaned and put back together - runs like never b4 - btw the carb I thought was clean was filthy in two areas! another lesson learned!

11-14-2008, 08:23 AM
ditto on that...I couldn't believe how much dirt was still in mine...I think I am going to clean the one on my quad just for the hell of it...lol

neveready
11-15-2008, 06:44 AM
I have been mixing with Klotz 32:1 for weeks now...

Ditch the Klotz, the film strength is too high and wont burn off in these horizontal style engines. Trust me... We see more stuck rings with this oil than you would beleive. Tear down the top end,soak the piston and rings in brake or carb cleaner,reassemble making sure to lightly lube the rings and cylinder when assembling (of course not with the klotz). Get some Amsoil Dominator(my reccomendation), Bel-Ray HR1 or Maxima 727 and go 50:1 you'll see much better results. No more oil filled pipes

This may or may not be the current issue and without a compression tester it is hard to know for sure, BUT, It will soon be a problem if this isn't it.

11-15-2008, 06:59 AM
You say Klotz is bad. I have used KLOTZ oil for 3 years running 1/2 mile flat track full throttle from start to finish for 4 straight miles and we ran the same motor for 1 1/2 years with out ever putting rings in it. Matter of fact our motor has had 40+ races on that motor ,and vp c12 Klotz R 50 50 to 1.. I would not use any other oils IMO than the KLOTZ. I have never had an issue with KLOTZ R 50 two stroke oil. Now remember this is just my opinion Toby

neveready
11-15-2008, 07:21 AM
That's because it was designed for the such. Full throttle. It has an extremely high film strength for motors that are not turning high RPM all the time. Don't beleive me?..... Ask Ron, He'll tell you the same. Ask him how many stuck rings he has seen? How many fouled plugs? Ask about Jonny Loos's Motor that DNF'd in Texas. Ask Donny Loos about Evans problems with it,Running Flat Track! I have NEVER known a CVT engine builder to endorse or reccomend it. I won't take that chace. Do I need to keep going??

11-15-2008, 07:29 AM
YES YOU DO NEED TO KEEP ON GOING

neveready
11-15-2008, 07:36 AM
Man, WTF is your deal!!!!I'm Sorry I was just trying to help someone out, not trying to start an argument about oil, It was a simple suggestion based on my and other well known bulders experience. I was not trying to offend anyone but felt attacked about my original post and fired back. I apologise!!!

11-15-2008, 08:02 AM
Kevin I have no deal. I said IMO which means IN MY OPINION. I was not attacking anybody i was just saying that our quads like KLOTZ. I am not a professional im just the average Joe (not the plumber) that knows what I know. Yes I have been told many time about Klotz but I guess we are risk takers. If you dont take the risk then its not a risk lol. I am TRUELY SORRY THAT YOU TOOK IT THAT WAY! Yes Ron knows prolly more than most people on here hes a real deal on his stuff.. like I said Kevin Idid not mean to make you mad SORRY BUD. So how is business in Ohio? Have a GREAT DAY KEVIN SORRY TOBY

neveready
11-15-2008, 08:24 AM
Again I apologise! It is obvious your bike must run well on the Klotz. We used to run it in ALL of our bikes and started having some issues. Ron was the one who convinced me to stay away from it and since I have seen others with issues when running it,but most were running too much (32:1) maybe at 50:1 it would be fine. Congrats to you guys on your season. Are you racing anywhere? What's next in your schedule? Sorry I took you the wrong way

So back to topic:D Any luck with gettin this bike running yet?

etondaddy
11-15-2008, 09:33 AM
Don't kiss and make up so soon .....it was just getting good.:devil:

When we used technoplate you had to jack hammer the rings out. But with r-50 40:1 we had no problem.

Mike Kozura

11-15-2008, 11:08 AM
Well I am getting ready to send my motor to LT80 he is going to do are porting and polishing on our 50 mm cylinder and head.. We need to turn some rpms for flat track but our motocross bike im building now will be motorcross porting and will be done soon . i have sandblasted our frame and put on + 3 a arms 300 ex disc brakes 300 ex risers , 300 ex rear hubs and im trying to get with Diamond J Customs and get a 300 ex change over the a arms to the 300 ex for the polaris dual a arms 13 in shocks. it will be the 42 52 or the 45 50 i have a couple different cranks for both quads. I believe with our new custom parts and the new topend we should be smoking fast. we will see. Hopefully i will be done with my build in a couple weeks i will start posting pics of the build. The primary color is yellow now what do you guys think if i painted the frame polaris predator orange? a arms yellow with the + 3 swinger yellow any body have a good color that goes with yellow? thanks and Sorry for earlier Kevin , Toby