PDA

View Full Version : Who makes the lightest MX wheels??

Derrick Adams
11-11-2008, 02:23 PM
I'm looking to buy new wheels for next season and would like to know if anyone knows who makes the lightest ones (keep in mind these are for MX so no .125s or .160s). I dont think I really need to have beadlocks so thats not necessarily a factor.

So i'm looking for 10x5's and 8x8's.

Help me out~

ZSNOW
11-11-2008, 02:39 PM
i know you said no 160.'s but i LOVE my yellow label front wheels and weight for weight they're lighter than my hipers with the same tires! i run douglas ultimate beadlock rears with yellow label fronts.

then my second choice would be hipers all around, even though they're not cheap, they don't bend and u have to hit them with a TON of impact to break them.

Derrick Adams
11-11-2008, 05:21 PM
I had thought about .160s on the front. I've never bent a front wheel, so I might try it. Not like i'm out much money if it doesnt work out.

I cant imagine Hypers being any lighter than ITP .190's though. Problem is those wheels just dont hold up. So I guess the real question is:

Which rear wheel will hold up in MX and is the lightest?

A) Hyper

B) .190 with Reinforcement ring

C) Some sort of Beadlock

ZSNOW
11-11-2008, 08:25 PM
douglas or hipers

11-11-2008, 08:52 PM
Go with HiPer if you can. They will flex under force rather than break or bend. You can still break them but you really have to hit something hard. I picked up a dual beadlock 8" HiPer and it was so light. It probally weighed less than my 9" factory aluminum wheel. I have bent my front wheels and pretty bad. I jump in sand and I have bent them. It might have been too little pressure in them? But HiPer seem the way to go if you have the cash. I see a lot of people running non beadlock wheels in the front and dual beadlocks in the back.

400ex28
11-11-2008, 10:02 PM
I believe the hiper dual beadlocks weigh more.

JParisi48
11-12-2008, 03:02 PM
yea the hipers weigh more i have both of those size rims in my garage and the hipers deffidentally weigh more...

mx1791
11-12-2008, 10:27 PM
douglas conventional beadlocks in the rear will be stronger then hipers imo. ive seen so many people shatter hear hipers, mainly the inner rings

HoleshotR15
11-13-2008, 07:53 AM
I have Hipers 9in dlb's in the rear. I only broke one inner ring in 2 years of racing. Landed on a rock. But the good thing about hipers is if u break a part u can replace it instead of buying a whole new rim. Just for that i say go hiper.

400exrider707
11-13-2008, 09:24 AM
I haven bent every aluminum rim I have ever owned. I squared off a set of douglas 190's the first day of use, front and rear. Rear looked a lot worse than the front, but they all tweaked.

Even though I'm selling everything I have, I will have another quad in the spring, and I will put nothing but hipers on it!

My vote would be 10x5 hiper CF3 fronts non beads
and 8x8 single bead rear CF3 hipers.