PDA

View Full Version : thoughts on the 10 hour?

Lurkin
11-10-2008, 02:48 PM
i think everything went extreamly well for this race. they had plenty of course workers to keep problems to a minimum. Harlen, props to you for all the effort that you put into this, Kevin Johnson and all of GBC did a great job also.

Andy Kyner, Great job to you too.

Admin
11-10-2008, 10:12 PM
Thanks, and I am already planning toward next year, which I plan to make even better.

montycarlo
11-10-2008, 10:43 PM
Next year I do plan to have an actual racing program - which I would like to include this race.

sspalco
11-11-2008, 08:59 AM
We had a blast. We will definitely be there next year.

Things went pretty smoothly for this being the first time racing a 10 hour endurance race here. Awards should be held a few minutes later next year so peeps have time to shower and get a snack if they want to.

I loved the fact that there were so many officials out on the course, that made getting towed in if you broke down easier and kept corse cutting to a minimum. The whole crew was pleasant to talk with, that was a plus. Even if they were busy, they took a second to listen or answer a question. Thanks! Maybe next year the starting line can be marked out before the start, I know with the snow and rain it was hard this year, but marking it prior to the start can make things easier.

All in all our teams liked the course. Thanks so very much to everyone who worked so had on this race. Two thumbs up!

Britboy
11-11-2008, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by Admin
Thanks, and I am already planning toward next year, which I plan to make even better.

Hey harlen, any plans on holding it on the east coast for the 90% of national riders that would participate in it if it was closer??

Johnny & Monica
11-11-2008, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by Britboy
Hey harlen, any plans on holding it on the east coast for the 90% of national riders that would participate in it if it was closer??

Hush your mouth!:grr: ;) It's the Heartland not the Eastland Challenge:devil:

guy310
11-11-2008, 09:51 AM
I didn't go but I think that with MO, IA, TX, and OK having a rapidly growing XC racing scene, it makes sense to have it more in the middle. Say what you want about having 90% of racers in the east, when the 12 hours was in IA, they had a far better tutnout than in PA.

ta2d
11-11-2008, 09:51 AM

You pretty much have all the GNCC's out there. Maybe a couple should come to Iowa and back to Missouri???

I thought everything went pretty smooth except for the weather of course. I do think there was some miscommunication with some of the officials though. I ran into a couple of issues that we were told we could do in the riders meeting but told we couldn't by some officials. No big deal, they had their hands full and I understand that. Thanks again to everyone that made this happen!!!!!!!!!!

Pappy
11-11-2008, 12:32 PM

Something along those lines are in our thought process....2 or 3 races for the year etc. This was a big learning process for everyone, and I know Harlen will be attending another endurance event just to see how they run it so that we can continue to improve the race.

Id like to see a the grass mowed a bit shorter in the Pit Stop challenge:D

Id like the weather to be perfect:p

The course marking for the UTV's needs to be improved, although the snow did not help. Seems to me all the UTV races ive attended have an issue with markers getting mowed down:scary:

I thought the race went extremely well considering the weather, and I was glad to be sent out to cover it!

sspalco
11-11-2008, 12:45 PM
[

I thought the race went extremely well considering the weather, ! [/B][/QUOTE]

Me Too!

weinerdoggys
11-11-2008, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by Pappy

Id like to see a the grass mowed a bit shorter in the Pit Stop challenge:D

I thought the race went extremely well considering the weather, and I was glad to be sent out to cover it!

Speaking of the Milwaukee pit stop challenge, how did you like it overall?
I agree on the grass thing but to keep it real you would have to mow the pits that short too, not that, that is a bad thing. I was pleased at how it went I wish more teams would have taken part in it. It was new though so there is the learning curve. It was meant to be fun and involve everyone not just the racers.
I think the rep was surprised at the response given the weather conditions.
I urge you all to take a minute or two to either call customer service and thank them @1-800-SAWDUST or to join the HEAVY DUTY CLUB on their website.

http://www.milwaukeetool.com/us/en/site.nsf/frmIndex?ReadForm

We need to let them know that this is worth their resources to tap into a unknown market for them. More on a national marketing level and not just from the local rep and district manager.
Thank You for making this a success and a building block for future events

ta2d
11-11-2008, 05:26 PM
I've got to admit that I wasn't too thrilled about doing it because I had other things that needed to be done. One of our teammates insisted so we did. I gotta say it was fun and I am glad that we did, thanks weiner.

trailrunner77
11-12-2008, 06:18 AM
great job to all that had their hands in making last weekend happen!

pitstop challenge was fun. i didn't think much of the idea before. Thanks Flohr for getting that set up, im sure whoever(who did win?) got the impacts were happy!

impound rules need to be worked on before next years event. speaking from the kids race. Hope that event grows. i know those kids were loving it!!!

# plates always a problem, seems if your special rules don't apply.

Ta2d will mow the grass shorter next year, i also hear he is out there planting trees:D

Lurkin
11-12-2008, 06:22 AM
Originally posted by trailrunner77
great job to all that had there hands in making last weekend happen!

pitstop challenge was fun. i didn't think much of the idea before. Thanks Flohr for getting that set up, im sure whoever(who did win?) got the impacts were happy!

impound rules need to be worked on before next years event. speaking from the kids race. Hope that event grows. i know those kids were loving it!!!

Ta2d will mow the grass shorter next year, i also hear he is out there planting trees:D

Trees are good. what was wrong with the impound? i thought it worked fine.

trailrunner77
11-12-2008, 06:29 AM
Lurkin
in the kids race at the start pitcrew could work on the impounded quad, well one of our kids quad broke they made us wait til the rider came back into impound next lap. other teams were allowed to wrench on them during the first 1/2 of the race. No big deal, but just get it changed one way or another for next year.

Lurkin
11-12-2008, 06:33 AM
Lurkin
in the kids race at the start pitcrew could work on the impounded quad, well one of our kids quad broke they made us wait til the rider came back into impound next lap. other teams were allowed to wrench on them during the first 1/2 of the race. No big deal, but just get it changed one way or another for next year.

ahh, i got ya. i'd kinda like to see the impound gone. change out in your pit and wrech on it or do whatever you want.

i sure wish i could have knocked the mud off mine during all that time.

weinerdoggys
11-12-2008, 07:46 AM
great job to all that had their hands in making last weekend happen!

Wadell Racing won the challenge and got the impacts, batts, multi-bay charger, hat ect.......

Pappy
11-12-2008, 07:54 AM

Id love for someone to start a thread and give a short paragraph about the race. I have to write several articles and seeing this was such a long race, some personal insight would be killer from the racers and crews!

Raptorchick
11-12-2008, 08:45 AM

Id love for someone to start a thread and give a short paragraph about the race. I have to write several articles and seeing this was such a long race, some personal insight would be killer from the racers and crews!

Ditto!!!

BTW, it was nice to finally meet you Pappy. We had a good time even though it was so cold.

ta2d
11-12-2008, 04:22 PM
Nope, there is already enough trees for me to hit out there and that grass won't be any shorter. We need it high for the winter, we will be letting the cows out there to feed.

Pappy
11-12-2008, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by ta2d
that grass won't be any shorter. We need it high for the winter, we will be letting the cows out there to feed.

LOL....just the 10x10 spot where they changed tires....so they can find their dropped lug nuts:p

ta2d
11-12-2008, 04:37 PM
Hahahahahaha maybe they should give away a lawn mower and metal detector also.

GE4x4
11-12-2008, 05:34 PM
Who won the Polaris Outlaw giveaway??

trailrunner77
11-12-2008, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by Lurkin
ahh, i got ya. i'd kinda like to see the impound gone. change out in your pit and wrech on it or do whatever you want.

that how the 125 race that was in iowa was like this year. burrows, and johnson won that one. everyone i talked to like that way of pitting better than a impound.

preddy08
11-12-2008, 06:45 PM

Here ya go Pappy, This is what I wrote in another forum.

This was my FIRST race I ever entered and to say the least I am HOOKED!

We arrived in Charlisle Iowa early Friday and it was starting to snow, was really windy and about 30 degrees. The track was muddy before the snow so it only got worse. It snowed ALL day Friday and finally ended around midnight. Just walking the track was hard. Some of the hills you could'nt even get up on foot. They had to shorten the track some due to the muddy hills. It went from 8 miles to about 6.5 miles. On a clean run lap times were about 20-25 minutes. I started the race and after the first lap the ruts were 6" deeper than the tires were! I decided to ditch my half wore out XCR tires and picked up some GBC X Rex tires before the race. THANK GOD!!!! My old tires would not have cut it.......PERIOD!

We had three guys and three bikes. Me on my rappy, buddy on his predator and another on his KFX450. The predator would not start durring the race and had to be towed back to the pits. We worked on it for about an hour total and said SCREW it! He had to use my bike. I was really scared about running my bike that hard for than long, but we had no other choice. Needless to say the rappy came out strong! No failures AT ALL! The motor REALLY shined in the stright aways. I would pass 3-4 guys at a time in the strights...lol.

The track was slimy/muddy and tacky....if that makes since...lol. 90% of the turns were nasty off camber turns, making turning really hard! By the end of my three lap turn I could bairly even turn the bars. Three laps is all any sane person could do at a time! Keep in mind its 30 degrees, muddy, and about 30MPH winds and snowing. I had on two under armor shirts, two jerseys, and for the last stint I tossed on another long sleeve shirt. When my turn was up ALL FIVE shirts were SOAKED with sweat!

As far as placing I can't complain. It was our FIRST XC race. With the hour we waisted trying to get the predator up and running we were 16 minutes down in last place. By the end of the race we were in 5th place. If we did'nt have mechanical problems we would have be in third place or so.

The way we ran it was I would do three laps ( about an hour and a half or so) and then get the next riders bike in the impound and bring it to him in the pits and have him do another three laps.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a195/preddy08/PICT0003.jpg
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a195/preddy08/PICT0008.jpg
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a195/preddy08/PICT0007.jpg
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a195/preddy08/PICT0011.jpg
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a195/preddy08/PICT0016.jpg
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a195/preddy08/PICT0032.jpg
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a195/preddy08/PICT0034.jpg
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a195/preddy08/PICT0038.jpg
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a195/preddy08/PICT0036.jpg
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a195/preddy08/PICT0039.jpg
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a195/preddy08/PICT0045.jpg

Heres the rappy all said and done. No beaks, mechanical problems at all. Pretty satisfied with how it preformed.
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a195/preddy08/PICT0058-1.jpg
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a195/preddy08/PICT0059.jpg
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a195/preddy08/PICT0061.jpg

coryatver
11-12-2008, 06:52 PM
nice pics. what ended up being wrong with the preditor? How was racing with no front fenders?

preddy08
11-12-2008, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by coryatver
nice pics. what ended up being wrong with the preditor? How was racing with no front fenders?

I could not tell ya whats wrong with the predator, have'nt had time to touch it. We think that the spark plug electrode broke off. It happend once before, so hopefully thats it.

The front fenders on most sport quads dont really do too much anyways, so I dont mind it now. You may get a little more mud on ya, but its worth it being able to see what your front end is doing. That is the first thing I do to a quad when I get it home. Hack off the fenders.

DanW
11-12-2008, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by Lurkin

You are getting kinda weird about the mud thing... :D

Lurkin
11-12-2008, 07:40 PM
yea, i kinda like the mud but i'm getting too much build up on mine. i scraped 55 lbs of mud off mine befor washing it.

ta2d
11-13-2008, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by coryatver

It was a predator, that's what was wrong...

ta2d
11-13-2008, 04:23 PM
I sprayed mine down with wd-40 real good before the race so I didn't have too much mud on my fenders. Rims and nerfs is another story though. I just sprayed some Just-Add-Dirt on it, let it sit for 5 minutes and it all fell right off, no problem. Had it washed and shiny before the beer could get warm.

preddy08
11-13-2008, 06:31 PM
I sprayed mine down with wd-40 real good before the race so I didn't have too much mud on my fenders. Rims and nerfs is another story though. I just sprayed some Just-Add-Dirt on it, let it sit for 5 minutes and it all fell right off, no problem. Had it washed and shiny before the beer could get warm.

LOL, I just spent 20 minutes at the car wash and its still not perfect.

sspalco
11-17-2008, 11:42 AM

Same here...we love the Just-Add-Dirt cleaner. It really save us a lot of time. Quads aren't shiney by no means, but the JAD cleaner really helps.

ta2d
11-17-2008, 05:04 PM
I will still wipe it down but it saves tons of time and I'm not blowing my stickers off with my pressure washer which I still use on the frame, wheels etc.