PDA

View Full Version : Wheel Spacers..

Gagt518
11-10-2008, 01:32 PM
Whats your guys opinions on these? They say they give you an extra 4". I was thinking of putting them on the rear end. Good or bad?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fshop.ebay.com%3A80%2F%3F_from%3DR4 0%26_trksid%3Dm38.l1313%26_nkw%3D230299340001%26_s acat%3DSee-All-Categories%26_fvi%3D1&item=230299340001&viewitem=

PUREBREED450R
11-10-2008, 02:46 PM
hey there, i have a set like that on my fronts right now, and personally, i wouldnt put them on the rear, ive had some wild wrecks and they have stayed straight on the front, but having those "type" of spacers on the rear would bend alot quicker than in the front. I just have not heard goo things about having them in the rear, and the added width adds alot of pressure to the stock carrier. (unless you already have a twin row) Those spacers work killer in the front. Wouldnt recommend them in the back. Just my 2 cents. I will have a lonestar plus 2 plus 4 axle for sale in about 5 days if your interested, id get you pics before i list it.

Put it this way, get the spacers, (plan on them for the front) but put em on the back, ripp a few (flat surface) laps, and youll prob loooveee the width, but it will make you want an axle that much more. hahaha the fron is prob the best place for em.

shawn!

BlaineKaiser450
11-10-2008, 04:44 PM
dont get wheel spacers for ANY quad wheels!!!!!NOTHING BUT TROUBLE!!!!

Gagt518
11-10-2008, 08:01 PM
Thx for the tips guys. I was worried about putting them on the rear also since thats where the most of the compact is while your riding. More suggestions would be nice

PUREBREED450R
11-11-2008, 07:09 AM
really, all bull**** aside, spacers are a cheap cheap way to widen you quad, however you get what you pay for. Like the guy above said spacers on any quad is not really "good" especially in the mx world. The best way is witha real investment of an axle,carrier, a-arms.

For an guy that never sees a motocross track, but can still land a jump here and there, there not that bad. +5 might be extreme lol.

I have inch spacers on each side and have hit landed crashed some crazy **** and no damage to anything(lucky i guess). I also plan soon on getting A-arms, and rebuilding my bike gusseted and all...

Spacers do add increased pressure on frame welds, prob upper shock mounts(front area of frame) spindles, balljoints and so on. 4 years strong no probs. but see for youself. Im not saying buy them or not.....

Its all about money$.

Gagt518
11-11-2008, 12:04 PM
Well ive always went by the rule "You get what you pay for"
So i just might keep my eye out in the For-Sale section for +2-3 Axle's

PUREBREED450R
11-11-2008, 02:42 PM
P.S

i have a lonestar +2+4 axle and LS sprocket hub, also a LS anit-fade hub,LS carrier, all soon to be "for sale" just have to put attention twards the stuff i already have for sale....... then prep these things and let them go, but hey if your interested get back at me. thank you.

shawn

11-11-2008, 05:18 PM
For like 3 years I ran spacers like that on the front and rear from crjperformance that made it 3" wider and they where strong as could be. I ran moto cross tracks and after 2 years broke the axle from casing a few doubles but the spacers where still fine. The front end after landing super to hard off a free style jump bent the ball joints upword but the spacers where still in perfect shape.

Also before I ever ran spacers like that i always bent my wheel studs. After I screwed the spacers on i never bent another stud on the hub or spacer.

Solid steel spacers are going to hold up better than the hollow steel A-arms. But with them they put more stress on your front wheel bearings, tie rods and axle.

PUREBREED450R
11-12-2008, 06:42 AM
hahah i wanted to be along both lines when i was speaking. but ive had em on my EX (fronts)at mx, tracks and so on still holding up. Studs are stronger and havent broke/bent one yet.

Gagt518
11-13-2008, 05:18 AM
Got the spacers put on last night. I put them on the rear and took it out for a little ride. Im actully suprised how much that 4" helped when cornering. Im still debating on the front spacers. So we will see.. :D

400exrider707
11-14-2008, 09:25 AM
Spacers are a waste of money. They might be OK for the rear, for light riding, on the front you're just adding tons of stress to the balljoints and spindle area, they do not effect the shocks or the shock mounts since there is no added leverage on that area like an extended arm. It's not how it works. Spacers on the front will make your quad handle worse. Seems to me people are trying to widen to improve handling, spacers are widening and making handling worse. Sounds like a rip-off to me.

See my signature.:chinese:

PUREBREED450R
11-14-2008, 11:41 AM
ok for the rear(light riding ) and not of for front at all...that makes no sence.................................. so your saying spacers dont stress shock mounts....ahhhh cant agree with ya there at all, and deff does not make your quad handle worse.

A. how can a narrow front end improve handling?????????????????

B. do you see any stock width quads on the mx track.....no.

tater_kamik
11-14-2008, 12:46 PM
this has been thoroughly discussed in this thread discussion (http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=300433&highlight=wheel+spacers)
ya can learn a lot here

400exrider707
11-14-2008, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by PUREBREED450R
ok for the rear(light riding ) and not of for front at all...that makes no sence.................................. so your saying spacers dont stress shock mounts....ahhhh cant agree with ya there at all, and deff does not make your quad handle worse.

A. how can a narrow front end improve handling?????????????????

B. do you see any stock width quads on the mx track.....no.

Spacers have no effect on shock mounts. The stress is applying a moment at the spindle. After the spindle nothing else sees or feels the effect of the spacers. This is also why your front end doesn't feel softer with spacers, where if you put extended arms on, it would get softer. The stress is applied right to the studs and spindle.

A. Wide only means it's less tippy, doesn't mean it handles better. You dont know what "handling" means. Do some research. A-arms just make the quad more stable. Handling is how the quad will steer after input through the handlebars. I didn't say a narrow front end, but a properly set up one. Spacers just add more "feedback" to the bars.

B. Yes I do, not everyone can afford aftermarket a-arms. I have more respect for someone with stock a-arms and good shocks, than someone with spacers. I see spacers and laugh to myself. '

Read the thread that is posted by tater kamik. Then tell me I dont know anything. I'm just trying to help you out bud.

born2ride14
11-15-2008, 02:36 PM
The only spacers i would run are these

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda-Suzuki-Billet-Wheel-Spacers-400ex-450r-z400-300ex_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742Q2em153Q2el12 62QQcategoryZ43983QQihZ008QQitemZ4594971145#ht_245 9wt_0

11-15-2008, 03:11 PM
anyways dont buy spacers unless you have a IRS quad and they are on the rear.

Gagt518
11-18-2008, 05:49 AM
Originally posted by FoxHondaRider

What is IRS??

Individual rear suspension?

tater_kamik
11-18-2008, 09:12 AM
independent rear suspension

400exrider707
11-18-2008, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by FoxHondaRider

What difference does it make being IRS?