PDA

View Full Version : JD Jetting kit = jetting perfection

04TRX400EX
11-10-2008, 01:19 PM
I picked up a JD Jetting kit for the 450/505 SX and installed it over the weekend. All I can say is WOW :D I have never ridden a quad with such instantaneous throttle response. I only got to ride it around my house but could tell immediately the difference the kit made. I'll be at the motocross track this weekend for sure.

Due to emissions regulations for importing "vehicles" from Europe to the U.S., KTM has to jet their quads (and bikes) very lean from the factory. What happens then is to compensate for an overly lean low-throttle condition, they increase the duration of the accelerator pump squirt, therefore causing too much fuel when you snap the throttle open, resulting in an irritating and very significant bog. Fixing the problem requires a few modifications to be made:

* custom taper needle jet and clip position to richen mixture down low
* larger main jet (depending on elevation) to richen mixture in higher revs
* o-ring or wire mod to throttle/carb linkage connection to reduce throttle response delay
* longer accelerator pump diaphragm post to shorten squirt duration and prevent "lean-bog"
* adjusting air/fuel screw to even out mixture

Just wanted to give everyone a little review. I cannot say how much of an improvement these changes made.

Quadevil
11-10-2008, 01:29 PM
It's a MUST DO! for everyone that buys a KTM XC/SX :)
It even can lead to problems in the engine if the motor runs lean too much time...

OutlawBill
11-10-2008, 03:51 PM
Current Mods: This thing needs nothing
just a JD jet kit. :D

bbrad mulvey
11-10-2008, 07:11 PM
whats the part numbers?

04TRX400EX
11-11-2008, 08:39 PM
Part number for the kit is JDK017. Here is a link to their website JD Jetting (http://www.jdjetting.com/xcart/product.php?productid=90&cat=0&page=1&featured) - they have a kit available for almost every bike and quad.

bbrad mulvey
11-11-2008, 10:01 PM
nice thank you!

LT-R450 131
11-16-2008, 09:20 PM
does it come with a idle screw?? the one with the numbers

04TRX400EX
11-16-2008, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by LT-R450 131
does it come with a idle screw?? the one with the numbers

Nope, the idle screw remains the same, as does the air/fuel mixture screw. I haven't touched the air/fuel since I set it per the kit instructions and the idle screw is easily accessible just like on most quads.

moogie
11-21-2008, 03:19 AM
I have just got one of these, so i think that JD kit is a must as it was a bit slow on throttle
Also what about slipon...have to do something about that as std even with arrester removed sounds awful

Any suggestions, I see HMF and FMF do something

04TRX400EX
11-23-2008, 09:51 PM
HMF and FMF both offer exhausts for the XC version, which will also fit the SX quads. So far, your best bet is Dasa, which seems to be the story whichever quad you have. Dasa seems to somehow squeeze the most performance (not to mention a great sound) out of their exhausts and thus creates the most usable power - just where you need it. I'll be adding one down the road.

ltr311
11-25-2008, 08:13 PM
Your right about the dasa. I run a dyno on the side and the dasa has been the clear dominate pipe in every pipe shootout Ive done. Hands down!

moogie
11-26-2008, 04:59 AM
with the JD jet kit, are these kehin needles or ones they make themself, what makes them so better over original.

Also does anyone know what is the rev limit on these and the thing with the unplug wire under front cover to change map, does this change rev limit or something diffrent

zalewski22
02-15-2009, 12:59 PM
When you installed the JD jet kit, what size main & pilot jet are you currently using, and what are your weather conditions. I want to re-jet mine before I get to ride this spring and was looking for a base line to start with. I'm not a very seasoned carb tuner so, just looking for a little more info. Thanks.