PDA

View Full Version : how do i rebuild stock shocks myself??????

rabbitownoutlaw
11-09-2008, 08:13 PM
i need some help guys i bought a set of stock 450r shocks and i got one ride on them and the bottom seal on the shaft blew out on me. I checked on getting it redone and they said anywhere between $125-$200 to rebuild the one side. i was jus wondering how hard it is to rebuild it myself. I mean i can buy another set for $175-200, so jus tryin to get an idea if i can do it or not

Sjorge450R
11-10-2008, 08:13 AM
i too would like to know how to do the basics such as cleaning and servicing and i would just run up to the speed shop and have them charge them with the nitrogen for me.

Anyway, since i dont believe that anyone will post how to service them yourself, send them to C&D racing. Service on the fronts (both shocks) is only $50 and he will just have to charge you for the one extra seal on the one shock and you will have two freshly rebuilt shocks.

duke416ex
11-10-2008, 08:24 AM
If you search around the net you can find articles about rebuilding shocks. Axis has an owners manual on their site that tells how to service their shocks, it gives you a general idea. I read an article a while back telling how to service dirtbike rears. Do a little searching and the info is out there. The oil and stuff is not cheap though and you may have trouble finding the seals. Sometimes it is better letting other do it, esp if you are thinking of changing any valving.

KILLAQuad
11-10-2008, 12:07 PM
GTT (www.gtthunder.com )

MXP (www.moto-xperts.com )

This is the best way i have learned to service shocks .... :D

11-10-2008, 04:48 PM
Just remember they have like 300psi of nitrogen in them. So don't do anything stupid.

11-10-2008, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by Prodigal
Just remember they have like 300psi of nitrogen in them. So don't do anything stupid.

didnt seem like that much when my bro busted the screw on the cap that goes over the bladder. It didnt even pop off just the oil came out quickly