PDA

View Full Version : Hot Cams

Gagt518
11-09-2008, 04:46 PM
Im interested in buying the Stage 2 hotcam for my 400EX. My mechanic said that i would also have to pick up a different timing chain tensioner if i used a aftermarket cam. My question is where could these be bought?

Project300EX
11-10-2008, 11:09 AM
Unless I'm missing something that makes no sense at all. The cam has no effect on the timing chain. The only thing that would make the chain too loose would be a smaller timing cam, which would defeat the purpose of timing.

tater_kamik
11-10-2008, 12:47 PM
sounds like you need to find a new mechanic

Gagt518
11-10-2008, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by tater_kamik
sounds like you need to find a new mechanic

I was thinking of the same thing. He built his own 250 up and its redicioulsy quick. So i givw him the benefit of dout. What's a good site you would recommend picking up an Timing chain tensioner?

tater_kamik
11-11-2008, 09:32 AM
oem cam chain w/ tensioner (http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche.com/Alba/Honda_OEM/HondaATV.asp?Type=13&A=178&B=9)
really all it is is an hollowed out bolt with a spring pushing a plunger against a guide which keeps the chain tight. but you use the same sprocket from your old cam to the new so unless something is wrong with the original one i wouldnt change it. seems like a waste of 50 bucks that could be spent elsewhere or saved.

Gagt518
11-14-2008, 12:27 AM
Well i spoke to my mechanic last night and he told me that the Aftermarket chain tensioner is a self adjustor. I told him about these forums and he told me that he wasnt sure if they made them for the 400ex. He was told by his buddy that they do though. After discussing it with him im going to leave the adjustor alone like Tater_Kamik said. If i need a new one then ill order one.

rt20ps
11-14-2008, 06:45 AM
He's wrong again. The stock tensioner self-adjusts. The aftermarket tensioners require you to adjust them. You may want to replace the chain while your in there with a heavy duty one from the dirt bike CRF450r.

Gagt518
11-14-2008, 01:43 PM
Yeah thats the whole reason why were tearing her apart. I already have a heavy duty cam chain. Just waiting on the chain sproket and my HotCam. Maybe in a few more weeks