PDA

View Full Version : Polini evo power?

nordic quad
11-09-2008, 04:11 PM
Ok i am ordering in parts for my sons 07 pro mxr 70 rebuild and we are getting a polini evo 2 for the top end and we will try to make this work with a koso pipe and the stock 21mm keihin,i have 2 full ranges of jets to work with.So does anyone know how much power this kit makes in a quad vs.stock i know they make really good power in the scooters.Apriciate any input on this matter.

riding4fun
11-09-2008, 05:13 PM
Huge improvement over stock. Just make sure you match the case with the cylinder.
You will like it.

ukguy
11-10-2008, 05:00 PM
a lot depends on the tracks you ride, as the port timings will be high, you could do with making the port timings around 189 +-1 this will give you the low down torque you require and maintain the the timings to a good level, koso pipe so so but it will be ok i would try the 24 instead of the 21 they seem to work very very well, the scooter use the kit as it has the port timing needed which i would guess will be around 190-192 scooter are a totally differant beast.

how is the quading going in norway are there any race series going yet, how many quads are there out there

SMS
11-10-2008, 05:54 PM
I like the polini kit with a 24mm keihin carb with our pipe with the polini variator kit helps as well it has good ramp angles.
I did alot of testing on the Polini kit last year it ran good and not as good as mk or the bidlo

I run the Bidlo 70 kit
snyder pipe
28mm carb
snyder ported cyl and cases
I also port the intake and reed cage as well

zach R 7x
11-10-2008, 07:17 PM
shawn, i borrowed one of your pipes from a friend this weekend to see if it was as good as you say. i put it on my sons new 08 lt apex 90[stock] that i thought was a big rolling turd !and it just came to life ! i was blown away! i will be calling you soon !can not wait to see what it does on a set of ported cases and cyl. tim

SMS
11-11-2008, 08:46 AM
You need to come down and we can get it on dyno and do everything I can to it. I'm not a bad guy if you give me a chance. I like to help everyone believe it or not.

SMS
11-11-2008, 08:48 AM
Maybe we can work together and win another championship for 09 season as well. Parvin is moving up next year so Im looking for a 90 rider.

nordic quad
11-11-2008, 12:21 PM
Ok guys let me tell you our ideas about this rebuild.first of all we are not making this quad go faster or handle better to stay ahed of competition,in the season finale my boy Sondre beat the other quads with almost two laps.The biggest upgrade my son has done him self and that is seat time 8-10 hrs.interval training every week so now he is ready for moore power to match his skills and still have some to master.
We are keeping the stock 21mm carb to stay within Norwegian race rules,we can change race parts with other race parts but can not go with bigger carbs or cc.We have a few diffrent racing cluthes and vario parts to mix and match to find the right set up with the new sylinder.the quad will also get uppgraded suspention and moore before the race season starts again.My son has becomed the mascot of the local tracks we race after we bought the Apex because this quad alows him to have a more spectacular ridingstyle,so we want to build this quad to promote mini quad racing the best way we can.
At the Norwegian nationals the start gates are full with all kinds of brands exept Drr s they are not sold here,but in our district most of the mx riders are on two weels this is what we will do our part to change

nordic quad
11-12-2008, 01:47 PM
Hey ukguy how is the quad racing scene in UK.I will try and tell you how it is in Norway.
4 classes+ ladies
1 Elite. With the best riders and biggest quads from 450s

2 250 and above from age 14[+ladies?]

3 250 class from the year they are 10

4 Micro class age 5-9 50-100 2stroke and up to 125cc 4stroke.

The big quads race mx,motard,enduro and endurance.The minis mostly ride mx.
The minis are included in 4-5 races every year with national status.But many of the districkt championships has much better races with higher skill riders by bending the rule book a little.
In our districkt championship we are together with the two weelers but we have our own miniquad class.There will be anything form 3-10 quads at the start gates.If atendance is to low we start them with the 65 cc two weelers wery fun to watch either way.

bulldogfallon
11-12-2008, 02:34 PM
Dump the Koso pipe...It is a very high RPM pipe...not so good for MX

I would use the MK Pro pipe or the Snyder MX pipe as they seem to be make more MX friendly power.

The EVO2 LC kit produces more low end power than you would think....

It should destroy a stock quad....

SMS
11-12-2008, 02:50 PM
we ran the evo 2 kit at the end of 07 and I have it here I have never got to run it with our pipe so I'm going to put it back on this week end thanks for the update

nordic quad
11-12-2008, 03:28 PM
Well we have made the koso pipe run fairly well with the stock cyl. but we was thinking about getting another pipe with the polini kit,low and mid power is what we want most of all.We have a company here in Norway that can suply us with a lot of the goodies that are made for the european scootercups,just need to find out what parts that are usable with the quads,we are thinking of putting on moore polini parts crank,ignition and maybe the speed cluch variokit.you sell those parts dont you mr.Bulldog fallon have you had any feedback on them?We will need to get the pipe from the US.

Ps. we are uppgrading susp. and moore,any input and advice will be much appricated.

ukguy
11-12-2008, 03:39 PM
the scooter cyclinders are not made for low and midrange torque you need to establish the port timings before you make a decision

bulldogfallon
11-12-2008, 03:46 PM
We are using the Evol 2 and the MK Pro Scooter kit for MX with good results...

The Snyder pipe harnesses the power and makes it work good on bottom and top...

We pull the holeshot and on top end....

I thought the samething about the scooter cylinders previously, so it must be the Snyder pipe making it happen?

nordic quad
11-12-2008, 03:48 PM
I agree but the polini kits are wery popular with the scooterdrivers that race on gocart tracks because of the low end power and i think with the right set up it will be a good starting point for the tracks we race.(or my son that is)

nordic quad
11-12-2008, 03:59 PM
When you say MK pro kit is it just the pipe or cluth parts to?
I have a box here with MK pro race clutch,bellhousing and vario but havent tested it yet,anyway i guess if the port times arent way off you cold make it work with the right pipe and clutch set up

bulldogfallon
11-12-2008, 04:02 PM
We use hit clutch and stock front variator...stock drr 90 belt

nordic quad
11-12-2008, 04:16 PM
Well we use the the stock clutch with Koso springs for now with an after maket vario with 3,5 gram Dr Pulley sliders,works fairly well with a high rpm range with the Koso pipe.Not sure we will use the pro clutch with the Polini kit seems a little on the heavy side maybe its ment for high speed.

ukguy
11-12-2008, 05:01 PM
well i tried, you are possibly mising out on the best gains of all if you allow the port timings to run high you need around 188

ukguy
11-12-2008, 05:07 PM
nordic, the race scene in uk is not bad a growing nothing like the us though, we have between 30-40 on the gates depending on the series, we were leading 3 of the 4 championships with a couple of weeks to go my son whent and broke his wrist.... he dropped from 1st to 4th in one championship and managed to hang on to the other 2 so not a bad result, there will be a 100cc european championship in 2009 if you can take part

wayne

nordic quad
11-13-2008, 03:03 PM
I hear you ukguy and i may take your port timings to a macine shop and see what they can do for me,do you do your own port work and what kind of cylinders do you use as a base?I am thinking of having a spare cyl.maybe rebore and port stock cyl.
I am just not a skilled mekanick so i need a shop to do this for me.
Not shure my son is alowed to enter he is only 7 and still has a micro license,whats the minimum age in the 100cc class

ukguy
11-13-2008, 06:46 PM
the cylinder depends on the bike we use differant cylinders for the unison/dolphin and for the apex, and for the cobras we use differant conrod and cylinder combinations, you can race at 8 i believe, you can port the stock cylinder and make a very good job from it if you have the skills its not all about flashing cash at the big names, we have found cyclinders that no one uses that are fantastic and at a very good price, keep in touch and let me know how you get on

wayne

nordic quad
11-15-2008, 08:42 AM
Thank you Wayne will keep posting our progress,should see some of the first parts next week, hopefully the weather will give us a chance to do some testing.bougth a new memory card for the camera will try to post some picks.Ps was at Jaks quads homepage those Dolpins dont look bad race ready,sold as Dolpin in Norway to but with stock single a arms,Quark Metrakit same Quad ?
Stein A

ukguy
11-16-2008, 02:55 PM
yes we are the importer for the dolphin but now they are race ready, wouldnt mind getting them to the states

SMS
11-17-2008, 07:38 AM
can you post a pic of the Dolphin never seen it? I'm always interested in new product what kind of power are you getting?

nordic quad
11-17-2008, 08:44 AM
The Dolpin is sold as Unison in the states,but not race ready like in the uk.
There should be some pics in the Unison section the tread is called pic of propper toys by jaksdad i think bt you have to pull up all the treads from the beginning,ukguy shold know the power range.

SMS
11-17-2008, 09:01 AM
What kind of cost, do you Know Simon, Abbey, Owen Walton they are good friends of mine?

ukguy
11-17-2008, 10:25 AM
Hi yes we race with both simon and abbi, and also owen when he comes out, we are very friendly with them and race at the Nett and jh championships.

wayne

ukguy
11-17-2008, 10:28 AM
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y45/amberguard/dn100%20race%20bike/Picture033.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y45/amberguard/dn100%20race%20bike/Picture032.jpg

SMS
11-28-2008, 08:19 PM
seet bike I would love to get some prices. Ya Owen is bizzy lately with yamaha Simon is great guy. Tell him Snyder says hi he is a great friend.

Nichols Atvs
11-28-2008, 09:17 PM
Is this a stock machine what are the shocks .

SMS
11-28-2008, 10:38 PM
I have done some modifacactions to a polini evo2 cylinder and I will have the head cut and finished tomarrow and I should have dyno result first of the week. I line the head design much better on the evo2 than others. I have found the port height is much to high. Has any one found any other ideas to help this cylinder make better power?

ukguy
11-30-2008, 06:35 AM
i`ll agree snyder the port timing of various scooter products are just to high, i will pass on your regards to simon when we catch up....we use 2 kinds of shocks one from DNM and one from RPM yes the bikes are like that stock we are just having some more parts made for the 09 bikes longer anti vibe stems, differant swing arm (longer travel) possibly a new front a arm design and other bits and bats, we are trying to get on to the indy show with a friend.......curious about one thing over in the usa what does a Apex or DRR go to a dealer at.

nordic quad
11-30-2008, 03:56 PM
Ukguy got your e mail, may bee a new importer will look in to it tomorow,just got back from spending the weekend in Barcelona.
sms are you doing the dyno runs with different pipes or just your Snyder pipe? anyway will bee interesting to see the results as i am pulling out the engine from my sons quad the comming week to install the evo2

ukguy
11-30-2008, 05:51 PM
thats funny i have just come back from Lloret da Mar 20 miles from Barcelona..lol

ecmini1
11-30-2008, 06:55 PM
UK,
How you and Jak been? Glad to see you on the forum more.

The DRR 90cc average price is $2500.00
Apex long travel average price $3200.00 US dollars.

That unison is real nice product.

Ride safe.:D

SMS
01-05-2009, 05:56 PM
I tried to use the evo 2 kit again. I did not see it work better than the bidlot kit 70cc I did lower the cylinder this time to get the exhuast port to open at 88 degree after top dead center.

hotquads1
01-06-2009, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by SMS
I tried to use the evo 2 kit again. I did not see it work better than the bidlot kit 70cc I did lower the cylinder this time to get the exhuast port to open at 88 degree after top dead center.
Shawn, so your final ex duration was 184 vs the stock ex duration of 192 (If I remember right ), which one did the dyno like best ? how much difference ?
thanks,
marc

ukguy
01-06-2009, 10:12 AM
what were the transfer timings and compression etc