PDA

View Full Version : Question for Pappy or other Photogs

NacsMXer
11-09-2008, 11:00 AM
I'm shooting a Nikon D60 and I have a question about SD vs. SDHC cards.

I've been shooting with the 1GB SD card that came with the camera but recently there was a sale on SDHC cards so I picked up a Lexar 8GB class 2 SDHC card. I haven't opened it yet so I can still return it.

I don't really shoot a lot of continuous shots, but still wouldn't want to be limited by a memory card in the future if a situation arises.

Basically I know that class 2 SDHC is the slowest speed, but I don't know how that compares to the standard 1GB SD I was using before. Should I expect the 8GB SDHC to be slower than the 1GB SD, all conditions being equal?

Also, do these cameras have a buffer that allows you to capture a set amount of frames, but the slower/faster card dictates the speed at which the card is written to? Am I understanding that correctly?

Pappy
11-09-2008, 08:36 PM
The D60 doesnt have a super high frame rate, and yes, your in camera buffer will dictate more then a card will. I dont use the SDHC cards, so I cant say with certainty if they will cause you an issue, but if you can return it and get a regular SD, I would.

Ralph
11-09-2008, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by NacsMXer
I'm shooting a Nikon D60 and I have a question about SD vs. SDHC cards.

I've been shooting with the 1GB SD card that came with the camera but recently there was a sale on SDHC cards so I picked up a Lexar 8GB class 2 SDHC card. I haven't opened it yet so I can still return it.

I don't really shoot a lot of continuous shots, but still wouldn't want to be limited by a memory card in the future if a situation arises.

Basically I know that class 2 SDHC is the slowest speed, but I don't know how that compares to the standard 1GB SD I was using before. Should I expect the 8GB SDHC to be slower than the 1GB SD, all conditions being equal?

Also, do these cameras have a buffer that allows you to capture a set amount of frames, but the slower/faster card dictates the speed at which the card is written to? Am I understanding that correctly?

the HC is just High Capacity. I would say it depends on how much you paid. I hope it wasn't too much. Some places really love to mark up. Here is a Class 6 SDHC for 15 bucks...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820211180

However. I still feel like 8 gigs is overkill. You will most likely fill it up with tons of junk and then have thousands of photos to go trough. Also, you don't want to risk all those photos on one piece of hardware In case something gets corrupted...

Pappy
11-09-2008, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by Ralph

However. I still feel like 8 gigs is overkill. You will most likely fill it up with tons of junk and then have thousands of photos to go trough. Also, you don't want to risk all those photos on one piece of hardware In case something gets corrupted...

I shoot 8gb as a minimum and 16gb routinely....100,000 shots this year, none lost.

SDHC also uses a different type of writting code, but with the writting speed in the real world relies more on the camera then the card. Unless your shooting RAW, you wont notice any real speed differences. Seeing he has a 2 class sdhc, I would return it and stick with a SD...if he had class 6 or higher, no worries.

NacsMXer
11-10-2008, 12:35 PM
Thanks for the replies :)

I'll probably return this one and see if I can get a deal on a faster card.