PDA

View Full Version : need help with oil

biggie400ex
11-09-2008, 10:43 AM
I have 2000 400ex. I cracked the oil pan changing the oil and had to replace it. found a used one onebay with the cooler. put the new one on, put 2 qts of oil in it and it over flows and shows its way to full. I have a always run 2 qts. I put some compressed air through the cooler and it seemed to flow fine. could it be my oil pump? is there a way to test to know for sure? what else could it be? Thanks

Eric

drew416ex
11-09-2008, 11:32 AM
You have to put some oil in it. Crank it for 10-15 seconds do get the oil flowing. Then you can add the rest. You should also crank it a few seconds when you check the oil because it may show it to be low when it isnt.

biggie400ex
11-09-2008, 12:37 PM
there is oil in it. I rode for about 5mins and checked it and its gushing out of the pan....

lilyamaharacer4
11-09-2008, 01:08 PM
You have to put 1.5 quarts in then run it for a little bit than put the other .5 of a quart in or else it will overflow like described

biggie400ex
11-09-2008, 01:37 PM
see thats just it. I put 2 qts in and ran it for about 10 mins then went to check it and it was overflowing. drained about .5 out and ran it another 10min and it was still overflowing. made me think it wasn't circulating.

dunatic
11-09-2008, 03:33 PM
did you drain the tranny too ?

biggie400ex
11-09-2008, 05:10 PM
no

dunatic
11-09-2008, 05:14 PM
theres your problem.

dariusld
11-09-2008, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by dunatic
did you drain the tranny too ?

The tranny???

drew416ex
11-09-2008, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by dariusld
The tranny???

There is a drain bolt under the shift lever that drains the oil out of the crank case.

dariusld
11-09-2008, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by drew416ex
There is a drain bolt under the shift lever that drains the oil out of the crank case.

He didn't say crank case.

drew416ex
11-09-2008, 08:35 PM
He didn't say crank case.

Thats were the tranny is. To get all the oil out you drain the tank and crank case which is where the tranny is.

dunatic
11-10-2008, 12:26 AM
that is correct. the tranny and engine share the same oil.

The tranny holds a portion of it all the time. Even though the engine is a dry sump motor, it still have some oil laying in the bottom all the time..

You need to drain the tranny and oil tank and cooler if you really want it all gone.

biggie400ex
11-10-2008, 05:35 PM
ok drained ALL the oil out of it and put 1.5 qts in. let run for about 5 min. and checked it and its way full. I am thinking oil pump?

dariusld
11-10-2008, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by dunatic
that is correct. the tranny and engine share the same oil.

The tranny holds a portion of it all the time. Even though the engine is a dry sump motor, it still have some oil laying in the bottom all the time..

You need to drain the tranny and oil tank and cooler if you really want it all gone.

I know I'm an A-hole, but can you stop saying this "You need to drain the tranny ", we don't own the Honda 450.

dunatic
11-10-2008, 08:15 PM
not trying to put your down. you were asking the masses what was wrong. I asked if you drained the tranny, you said no. I just was finishing by explaining that the tranny holds a fair amount of oil, plus the bottom of the sump is a dribble.

I dont think your an A-hole at all....you asked a legitimate question and I offered my reply.

So, did you dump the oil from the tranny yet and did that help with the level issue ?

believe me, I did the same thing the first time i did mine. Thought that I knew more than a book could tell me.

biggie400ex
11-11-2008, 08:43 AM
ok I am confused now. I have owned this quad for 4 years and changed the oil ever 2-3 rides, I have never drained or filled the tranny. I have let oil out of the drain hole under the oil filter and had always filled it with 2 qts. I know how to change the oil. I am trying to figure out what has failed (oil pump, cooler, maybe a bad pan?) I don't know. didn't have this problem till I switch pan and cooler.

Mellow Yellow
11-11-2008, 08:55 AM
I assume you mean oil tank when you say pan. There is a screen where the bottom hose connects. Check that and make sure it's not clogged. Also, are you draining the oil at the crankcase? Drain plug on the left side right below the shifter.

NacsMXer
11-11-2008, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by biggie400ex
ok I am confused now. I have owned this quad for 4 years and changed the oil ever 2-3 rides, I have never drained or filled the tranny. I have let oil out of the drain hole under the oil filter and had always filled it with 2 qts. I know how to change the oil. I am trying to figure out what has failed (oil pump, cooler, maybe a bad pan?) I don't know. didn't have this problem till I switch pan and cooler.

The "drain hole under the oil filter" is not an oil drain hole. That is the oil check bolt. The way that it is intended to be used is with the engine idling, remove the oil check bolt. The crankcase oil level is correct if the oil is flush with the bottom of the check bolt hole. This check bolt is for verifying proper operation of the oil pump. Again, not for draining the oil.

Here is a picture of the oil check bolt:
http://img260.imageshack.us/img260/7803/checkboltvc5.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

When draining the oil out of the 400EX motor, there are 3 places oil will drain. The oil tank (where oil is filled/drained), when removing/changing the oil filter (excess oil will drain out of filter housing), and at the crankcase drain bolt. You're not doing an oil change correctly if you haven't drained the oil from these 3 locations.

The crankcase drain bolt is located on the left side of the motor directly under the gear shift lever. Remove this bolt to drain ALL remaining oil out of the motor after you have drained the tank and changed the oil filter during an oil change.

Here is a picture of the crankcase drain bolt:
http://img260.imageshack.us/img260/920/crankcasedraindm2.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

biggie400ex
11-11-2008, 04:30 PM
good info thanks!

Darebee
11-11-2008, 05:00 PM
Interesting.

The Clymer manual says to use what you call the "oil check bolt" and the bottom tank line for draining the oil and it says nothing about the other drain plug.
I did my first oil change "Clymer style" and used 2 liters of oil for my refill.
I did have the bike tipped to try and keep the oil out of the skid plate though.
I will try the other plug next time and see if it is less messy.

dariusld
11-11-2008, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by Darebee
Interesting.

The Clymer manual says to use what you call the "oil check bolt" and the bottom tank line for draining the oil and it says nothing about the other drain plug.
I did my first oil change "Clymer style" and used 2 liters of oil for my refill.
I did have the bike tipped to try and keep the oil out of the skid plate though.
I will try the other plug next time and see if it is less messy.

You might be confused. "This check bolt is for verifying proper operation of the oil pump. Again, not for draining the oil."

This thread would be really useful to beginners, if not so bright members weren't talking out of their behinds like usual. Its called a "CRANKCASE!" A couple of people made changing your oil very clear. Just read NacsMXer post and it will be simple. And this (http://www.atvriders.com/articles/oilchange400ex.html)

11-11-2008, 05:29 PM
another tip when installing any bolt is do not use a socket wrench. Use a regular hand wrench because most bolts on the motor or on the quad do not need to be cranked down they just need to be snug. I drained my quad real good today I had to put in 2.25 - 2.5 quarts of oil to have the dipstick just at the midway point for oil level. I ran it for a good amount of time and then I used seafoam in the oil and in the gas. Then drained it all and man was it pouring out. It kept coming out. Also when draining the oil you may think the oil is slowing down but tip the quad so the crank drain hole is facing down. It will pour out of there more and the tank. Also make sure all 3 draining spots are left open to drain. You will notice once you open 1 and then open up another the oil will come out faster. Remove the dipstick aswell. I start for refilling with 1.5 quarts and crank it over let it idle for 20 seconds or less then put another half quart in. Let it run for a couple minutes and I check the level. If its low I put in more in, if its not I leave it. Without a filter change you can usually get away with 2 quarts. I change my oil filter every other oil change.

biggie400ex
11-11-2008, 05:55 PM
You might be confused. "This check bolt is for verifying proper operation of the oil pump. Again, not for draining the oil."

This thread would be really useful to beginners, if not so bright members weren't talking out of their behinds like usual. Its called a "CRANKCASE!" A couple of people made changing your oil very clear. Just read NacsMXer post and it will be simple. And this (http://www.atvriders.com/articles/oilchange400ex.html)

so how do I use the check bolt to verify oil pump function? I have a feeling my oil pump failed.

NacsMXer
11-11-2008, 10:34 PM
so how do I use the check bolt to verify oil pump function? I have a feeling my oil pump failed.

I copied the exact words out of the Honda service manual:

"The crankcase oil level check bolt is useful when checking the lubrication; the oil pump adjusts the oil level so that the crankcase is always kept at the proper level. If this check shows otherwise, some portion of the lubrication system is not working properly."

"Do not check the oil level immediately after the engine has been operated at high speeds. Make sure that the vehicle is on firm level ground while idling. Allow the engine to idle for a few minutes to stabilize the oil levels. The crankcase oil level is correct if the oil is flush with the bottom of the check bolt hole."

Darebee
11-12-2008, 04:49 PM
The way you jumped on me was quite rude. Nowhere in my post did I disagree with you.
I was enlightened by your previous post.
Considering I am new to this bike and I have (and followed) the directions in the Clymer manual for my first oil change doesn't make me a retard either.
I was just mentioning my experience in relation to the topic of the post.
I was likely working on bikes when you were in diapers.
You want to make good use of my previous statement, you should be chewin out Clymer for leading me astray.

The reason I am on this forum is to learn things about a bike I have no previous experience with.
Thanks to everyone for their input.

dariusld
11-12-2008, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by Darebee
The way you jumped on me was quite rude. Nowhere in my post did I disagree with you.
I was enlightened by your previous post.
Considering I am new to this bike and I have (and followed) the directions in the Clymer manual for my first oil change doesn't make me a retard either.
I was just mentioning my experience in relation to the topic of the post.
I was likely working on bikes when you were in diapers.
You want to make good use of my previous statement, you should be chewin out Clymer for leading me astray.

The reason I am on this forum is to learn things about a bike I have no previous experience with.
Thanks to everyone for their input.

If your talking to me, I was jumping on dunatic, and even then I was being rude. I love new people and people that aren't so educated and even Canadians:D . We are all here to help each other. I don't help when I don't know what I'm talking about, but some do, thats what I don't like. Anything I'm new at, I Keep my ears open and mouth shut, I learn alot that way. Sorry for distracting from the subject.

biggie400ex
11-13-2008, 04:10 PM
ok checked the oil pump function using that bolt. took the bolt out and it was pushing air out but no oil. hole is too small and long to see where level is. is there a trick to it? lol.

dariusld
11-13-2008, 05:15 PM
ok checked the oil pump function using that bolt. took the bolt out and it was pushing air out but no oil. hole is too small and long to see where level is. is there a trick to it? lol.

The oil is supposed trickle out when full.

"The way that it is intended to be used is with the engine idling, remove the oil check bolt. The crankcase oil level is correct if the oil is flush with the bottom of the check bolt hole."

Darebee
11-13-2008, 05:21 PM
No not you, but thanks

biggie400ex
11-13-2008, 06:29 PM
The oil is supposed trickle out when full.

"The way that it is intended to be used is with the engine idling, remove the oil check bolt. The crankcase oil level is correct if the oil is flush with the bottom of the check bolt hole."

gotcha. well I think its the pump then. tank read way too full and there was no oil coming out the check bolt hole.