PDA

View Full Version : Stock Drr50 vs Stock Apex 50

CashCrew
11-09-2008, 10:37 AM
Looking to add second bike to the stable. Passing current DRR 50 down to my 4 yr old. Not sure which way to go with the 5 yr old. Will be running the 4-6 yr old stock 50 class in Worcs series. Sorry if this topic has been covered, but most of the stuff I found referred to the 70 and 90's.
Been happy so far with the DRR. I like the fact the Apex has no oil injection stock. Where as if you remove it from the Drr it is considered a mod. Also not sure if the boy is big enough yet to kick start the Apex himself. Have been told I could order the Apex with electric start, but at a substantial cost. The Apex is more money out of the box, but is it worth it. Our they that much quicker in stock form?

Thanks,
Adrian

riding4fun
11-09-2008, 10:49 AM
Tough decision.

If you are talking pure speed. The Apex wins hands down. Missy ran one of the 50's and walked away from everybody on the DRR's.

The Apex seems to be a little bigger bike.
And the one Zachary rode as a back up had a lot of handlebar vibration, not comfortable. It also has the rear foot brake, so that could be a concern if he is not big enough to reach. .

Good luck Adrian,
See ya at the races.

raidernut
11-09-2008, 10:59 AM
I replied in the apex section, but darrell does make some good points that i didnt consider.

bulldogfallon
11-09-2008, 07:27 PM
Apex 50 is bigger and heavier and not legal for any ATVA races(50cc stk limited). Not the best choice for a smaller rider...just as a DRR is not the best choice for a larger rider (90cc range)

Apex didn't do their homework on this model....too wide and too much shock travel to be legal.. The travel specs are not what is on paper...

How about this? The Apex 50s cylinders we modded here in the U.S. since they didn't work out of the box

It is interesting that this doesn't make them a mod 50....

On the bigger quads the decision is tougher but in the 50cc class DRR is 100% the way to go.

I heard they were slow by almost everyone, but maybe they fixed the problem or had all the cylinders re-ported again.

raidernut
11-09-2008, 08:06 PM
good info gary

bulldogfallon
11-10-2008, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by riding4fun
Tough decision.

If you are talking pure speed. The Apex wins hands down. Missy ran one of the 50's and walked away from everybody on the DRR's.

I have heard the exact opposite from a few people.....I am curious as to why this one would be different..

Was it your quad?

Could it have been a ported 50? It is a lot more bike to move around so i find it hard to believe that it was stock considering what I have heard from other reputable companies.

Not trying to debunk the Apex or knock on them, but really more of a fact finding post..

It is always needs to be "apples to apples" to get a clear answer.

Thank you for your input on this one...

raidernut
11-10-2008, 12:44 PM
I think that this had more to do with rider, than bike. The young lady we are refering to riding this bike, is the WORCS National 50cc champion 2 years in a row. She has won on both Apex, and DRR. I can only recall a couple of times in two years she has lost a race on either bike. Im quite sure she could make a fisher-price power wheels look fast.

riding4fun
11-10-2008, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by bulldogfallon
I have heard the exact opposite from a few people.....I am curious as to why this one would be different..

Was it your quad?

Could it have been a ported 50? It is a lot more bike to move around so i find it hard to believe that it was stock considering what I have heard from other reputable companies.

Not trying to debunk the Apex or knock on them, but really more of a fact finding post..

It is always needs to be "apples to apples" to get a clear answer.

Thank you for your input on this one...

I am referring strictly to the Hole Shot. This is a picture from the Hole Shot the only time she ran the Apex 50 in the stock class.
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y237/sdflenner/Missy.jpg

drt18
11-10-2008, 03:03 PM
WE HAD AN APEX AT SOME OF OUR LOCAL RACES AND IT WAS FAST.WAS IT A 50 OR 70 WHO KNOWS THEY SAID IT WAS A BRAND NEW 50.

jread14
11-10-2008, 03:13 PM
We run against two apex 50's and lets just say their fathers were not really happy with the outcome. One even made the statement that they wished they would have bought the water cooled drr and not waited on that pig (ref. to the apex). Keep in mind that our 50 class is a stock class as well.

raidernut
11-10-2008, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by riding4fun
I am referring strictly to the Hole Shot. This is a picture from the Hole Shot the only time she ran the Apex 50 in the stock class.
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y237/sdflenner/Missy.jpg

An experienced rider on a slower machine can still holeshot an inexperienced rider on a faster machine, merely by knowing how to get on the pipe before the flag or gate drops, and by having superior reaction time. I have heard that female riders have that edge on their male counterparts.

SMS
11-10-2008, 05:59 PM
Thanks gary for info I was about to order a 50 Apex for this year.

dirttrack86
11-10-2008, 09:41 PM
I can vouch for raidernut on reaction times for kids under 9. It seems the girls have a little better reaction time on average than boys at that age and under. Ok, I'm ready to get flamed big time now. LOL.:p

john willhoite
11-11-2008, 08:01 AM
I have a stock Apex 50. I wish I would have gone with the DRR.
They are slower than the DRR 50s.

However my 7 year old can kick start it.

DAVYS DAD
11-11-2008, 08:32 AM
imo an apex is faster out of the box than a stock drr 50
although my son DAVY beat it every time on the holeshot.
there was a stock looking apex (HE SAID IT WAS STOCK)
that was faster than my buddys sons drr 50 mod and he had a
butt load of cash in it was it stock I dont think so BUT HE SAYS IT IS LOL I KNOW BETTER! CAN A STOCK APEX OUT RUN A MOD 50 DRR DONT THINK SO !! IS THE KID ON THE APEX A BETTER RIDER
NOPE MY BUDS KID IS THE MICHIGAN 50 PRODUCTION CHAMP.

DAVY WOODBURY#72
michigan 50 limited champ 07and08

NICK WOODBURY#22 UP AND COMMING

THANKS TO RB-RACING FOR HELPING US GET THE HOLESHOT

jread14
11-11-2008, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by john willhoite
I have a stock Apex 50. I wish I would have gone with the DRR.
They are slower than the DRR 50s.

However my 7 year old can kick start it.

Hey John, how's the track coming along¿
Yeah, your face spoke a thousand words after a couple of holeshots. Scott really felt that the Apex was going to be the fix but he obviously was not happy with what he saw as well. They are obviously no slouch, but not up to speed with Drr on the 50 platform.

john willhoite
11-11-2008, 12:05 PM
yeah I was pretty dissapointed in it.

I don't think it is a matter of opinion, the DRR is quicker.

Our track is done, and its pretty cool. Your welcome to ride it any time, as long as you promise not to sue me.....my insurance guy is having a fit. He said I shoudn't even let my brothers ride it.

jread14
11-11-2008, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by john willhoite
yeah I was pretty dissapointed in it.

I don't think it is a matter of opinion, the DRR is quicker.

Our track is done, and its pretty cool. Your welcome to ride it any time, as long as you promise not to sue me.....my insurance guy is having a fit. He said I shoudn't even let my brothers ride it.

That is awesome... I bet your boys are having a ball. Triston and the rest of the boys had better get thei practice this offseason because I am sure Creed and Tucker will be ready to roll.

I am adding quite a bit of stuff to Tristons track as well. Should be a ton of fun.
I am sure Triston would love to come out and ride with the boys. Where are you all at¿

john willhoite
11-11-2008, 01:10 PM
We are in Guthrie, OK.
2 miles off of I-35

Come on over.

jread14
11-11-2008, 02:44 PM
Sounds good. See u in just b bit..... JK.... pm me your number and we will get the boys together here pretty soon.

MISSY'SDAD
11-20-2008, 09:36 PM
Apex VS DRR? Well it's not just that simple. Each bike has good qualities if your in the stock class. What I like about the apex is the foot brake. The kids this size tend to have small hands and its harder for them to reach the brakes. In the WORCS series your not supossed to change that, they also started requiring the kids to start their own quads and Missy can kick start the Apex so we preferred the Apex but she truly loved both bikes but loves her Cobra more. Her Cobra is 50 pounds lighter and easier to handle for an experienced rider. Can't wait till next year. see ya at Phoenix. Oh and Mark thanks Missy does make Shanes Fisher-Price Power Wheel look fast.:)

JAG Motosports
11-21-2008, 08:11 AM
Not only can she ride, this is the cutest thing ever www.miniquadriders.com/missy_Taylor.php

11-21-2008, 08:26 AM
WOW!!!! That Is Awsome! Great Job Missy Keep It Up And Yes It Was Cute JAG Motosports

raidernut
11-21-2008, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by JAG Motosports
Not only can she ride, this is the cutest thing ever www.miniquadriders.com/missy_Taylor.php

Yes she is a doll. Its crazy to watch her ride, it just doesnt look like a girl so little and so cute should be going that fast, it is just amazing. I would go out on a limb, and say that she is probably the fastest little girl at her age in the country.:)

hotquads1
11-21-2008, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by raidernut
Yes she is a doll. Its crazy to watch her ride, it just doesnt look like a girl so little and so cute should be going that fast, it is just amazing. I would go out on a limb, and say that she is probably the fastest little girl at her age in the country.:)
I bet she is fast , but here in the east we got one that I bet can give her a race , another cutie named "Hurricane "Wells , I bet it would be fun to watch!
marc

XXX -rider
11-21-2008, 04:19 PM
I have no interest in the 50 quads..yet for some I stumbled on this ..I guess because I wanted to see what was being said about the DRRvsApex opinions etc..
then I saw what was being said about Missy Taylor & I am so impressed with her racing ,.her efforts, her over all racing enthusiam I saw...why ? ..partly because I also have a daughter who races..( bikes & quads ) & has been on both bikes & quads since she was youngster ..she truly loves racing MX too ..

& because Missy is a racer with a lot of heart obviously
way to go Missy!!! ..& keep up all good the riding !!!

frank parvin
12-05-2008, 10:39 PM
dose anyone have a apex 50 for sale. what ive seen apex 50 and drr 50 in stock form the apex hands down not even close

bulldogfallon
12-06-2008, 05:12 AM
Sure we sell both brands..

PM me for more info

SMS
12-06-2008, 07:05 AM
Frank I think the one that you guys had seen maybe a 70 that ran in the 50 class at homes county fair. I have been told by everyone else that the stock drr 50 will spank the apex 50. If I am not correct some let me know as I have not tested the apex at all..
Gary what have you found?

DAVYS DAD
12-06-2008, 09:39 AM
imo stock vs stock the apex is faster thats just what i've seen here in michigan
LATER

DAVY WOODBURY#72
MICHIGAN 50 LIMITED CHAMP 07 AND 08

THANKS TO RB-RACING AND TRICKS BY HICKS

frank parvin
12-06-2008, 10:06 AM
anybody have a stock 50 apex or drr for sale (used)

DAVYS DAD
12-06-2008, 10:47 AM
i have 2 06 drrs single a-arm air cooled one was raced two seasons the other was raced 3times. i also have an 08 duel a-arm
that i may sell if my youngest does not want to race. i also have tons of parts .
LATER
DAVY WOODBURY#72
michigan limited 50 champ 07 and 08
nick woodbury#22 up and comming
THANKS TO RB-RACING AND TRICKS BY HICKS

frank parvin
12-06-2008, 11:01 AM
want duel a arm how much??????????? how much sms price lol

DAVYS DAD
12-07-2008, 10:43 AM
DECIDED this week end ill keep the 08 may build a practice 70
or a race 50 out of it . i might have 2 run a few more state races and a few less nats, [money] if i run states there may be more kids in the 50 production class than in the 70 class so i would need a 50 also. sms price would be double lol just kiddin dont want to tick him off i may need the extra 3 horse!!!

LATER GUYS

DAVY WOODBURY#72
MICHIGAN 50 LIMITED CHAMP 07 AND 08

BIG SHOT TO RB-RACING AND TRICKS BY HICKS

12-07-2008, 11:20 AM
i have a 07 dual a-arm stock air cooled with nerfs fr 1350 and a 08 wc for 2200 give me a call

frank parvin
12-07-2008, 11:49 AM
where are you loacated????? any pics?? any mods done to either quad thanks

frank parvin
12-07-2008, 11:52 AM
phone################ thanks

frank parvin
12-07-2008, 11:54 AM
where located?????? is there anything done to either quad???? thanks

12-07-2008, 12:41 PM
central pa harrisburg area i will be coming to cin oh on the 16th both bikes are stock the 07 has the nerfs and a bill holt and the springs and rollers were changed on the clutch 717 319 6143

frank parvin
12-07-2008, 12:44 PM
pics????????????

rmuscle
12-07-2008, 02:20 PM
Racer65 sent u pm

Originally posted by racer65
i have a 07 dual a-arm stock air cooled with nerfs fr 1350 and a 08 wc for 2200 give me a call

CashCrew
01-14-2009, 07:07 PM
Well we puchased the Apex 50 for the boy for Xmas. He loves it so far. I do think it's quite a bit quicker than his 07 drr 50. His Drr was the air cooled model though. So maybe it's not apples to apples. I was very impressed at how well it did in the sand dunes at Dumont. Put some Skat Trak 4 paddles on the rear and he was having a blast. I guess we will see how well it does next weekend in Phoenix at the first WORCS event. Thanks for everyones input on the subject.

Adrian