PDA

View Full Version : fill me in im new!

woodsracer144
11-09-2008, 07:49 AM
ok... im lookin in to pickin up a 85 lt250R whats the good and bad on them i had on but i got it in parts and it was just too much work... but anyway i found one for 1200 bucks and its got full light a-arms works shocks i can get a fully adj. elka with it for some more money, fmf pipe and sic. whole shot tires,

now i know they changes some things in 87 and i know they changed it again in the 90's whats the good and the bad on them? i've head that they handle like ***** but i'm not sure because i've never rode one, i've been on almost every honda sport quad made,

are the chassies know for cracking or anything like that?

what other atv parts will go on this chassie? thanks

Mikeman1
11-10-2008, 07:41 AM
The 85-86 models were the crankcase reeded,non-exhaust valve engine.Good engine,not much aftermarket for it though.Shorter stroke,slightly bigger bore.The rest of the machine is pretty much the same as the 87 and later models except the swingarm.This one has the round carrier holder that most have cracked by now.Check it out to be safe before riding it.Also,if it's an 85 for sure,they had a 32mm carburetor-switch it out for one of the later model (1986 or up) 34mm-it will wake it up allot.Have fun!

woodsracer144
11-10-2008, 09:23 AM
1200 bucks for a 85 with works fronts with remote rezzys full flights, fmf pipes and nerfs wholeshots and a fully adj elka rear sound good? or is that a little step?

86' trx rider
11-11-2008, 06:56 AM
Sounds like a deal i paid 1000 for my 86' with no mods. But i will tell you to look it over the swinger is not the only place that the 85-86' racers crack, well they all do but the first 2 years were the worst. The wall thickness of the tube that suzuki used on the frames was very thin, so stress cracks can show up at any of the welds. So if you ride hard just inspect the frame often and pay atention around the upper shock mount, and the a-arm mounts. This is ware i have had to repair my first frame sevrly times. I spoke with guy from up state NY, at an ice race who use to race an 85 on the ice and flat tracks he sead that he put a full frame skid plate on his race quad to help stiffin up the frame and it helped prevent some of the cracking. But if your 85 has some good suspension under it that will help a lot. Thats just my 2 cents hope it helped.