PDA

View Full Version : 05 Rincon will no longer shift into any gear (D or R) Stuck in neutral?

ChadsMach1
11-08-2008, 11:08 PM
I have a 05 Rincon that suddenly will not go into any gear (Drive or Reverse). This ATV was driven earlier in the day, and at the end of the day when unloading it just won't move.

When you put it into Drive, nothing happens. When you change it to manual shifting, still nothing happens. When you shift it into reverse, same thing. I do not hear/feel the transmission being engaged.

When its in Drive or Reverse, it feels like its still in neutral. It will rev up just like its in neutral as well.

Any ideas what I could look for? Any help is appreciated.

jeffro88
12-03-2008, 10:03 AM
The oil pump also supplies oil to the transmission. If the oil pump chain pops off or breaks, then it just revs like it's in neutral. This is fairly common with the Rincons. But don't start it any more than necessary, since no oil is being supplied by the oil pump to the rest of the motor it will obviously ruin your engine.

ChadsMach1
12-03-2008, 10:18 AM
It has been ran about a total of 5 minutes or less since this problem occurs. Those 5 minutes were off and on to check various things. We are going to take the motor off and open things up hopefully this weekend. If it is the chain, will I be forced to remove the torque converter and oil pump to get to it? I have already begun looking for a Honda torque converter puller since I figured I would need one. Do you know if you "have" to have the Honda one, or can you use a another vendors as long as its the same size?

400exc
12-24-2008, 09:15 AM
I had a similar problem to this with my Rincon. When i hopped on it and drove off right away it would shift from 2nd to 3rd right. I would shift in a hgih RPM and when it got into 3rd it stayed at a high RPM and dint get any faster. Once it warmed up it shifted fine. We ended up finding out it was just low on oil! These Rincon trannies are really touchy. We took ours up to a Honda dealer and they checked the systems for us when we had this problem. So thats what i would do if I were you.

honda400ex2003
03-25-2009, 10:57 PM
my dads does this all the time let it warm up before it moves cause it will stop on you otherwise. It sucks. steve

ChadsMach1
05-07-2009, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by ChadsMach1
It has been ran about a total of 5 minutes or less since this problem occurs. Those 5 minutes were off and on to check various things. We are going to take the motor off and open things up hopefully this weekend. If it is the chain, will I be forced to remove the torque converter and oil pump to get to it? I have already begun looking for a Honda torque converter puller since I figured I would need one. Do you know if you "have" to have the Honda one, or can you use a another vendors as long as its the same size?

Just wanted to give a update. The problem was ruled down to a oil pump chain coming off. The motor has been removed and disassembled. While in there I am replacing the oil chain, oil pump and the cam chain. I am also checking out everything possible on the motor while its out (since its got questionable miles on it from the first owner). I got new gaskets, seals and boots ordered as well to top everything off. Hopefully I'll have it back together within the month and be back to riding.

honda400ex2003
05-07-2009, 09:01 PM
Good to hear, if you get a chance ask the guy what he thinks about why they whistle while warming up. My dealer says it is common but i do not know of any others that make a whoo whoo whoo until it is warmed up. steve

wayne schoen
09-28-2009, 06:08 AM
how did you pull your torque converter? I cant find a puller or even a 35mmx1mm not to make my own puller
wayne

wayne schoen
09-28-2009, 06:08 AM
how did you pull your torque converter? I cant find a puller or even a 35mmx1mm not to make my own puller
wayne

ChadsMach1
09-28-2009, 08:03 AM
Hi Wayne. I had to take the motor to my local Honda dealership. They pulled the converter off for me for $7.50.

wayne schoen
09-28-2009, 12:02 PM
thanks, they would order me one for 150.00 i'll have to try another dealer. i'll find one that will do it

ChadsMach1
09-28-2009, 12:05 PM
I tried my best to oder a puller. I even went to ServiceHonda.com. They stated that even then, they could try to order it, but it could be months before it would get there if they would even send one at all. Good luck.

wayne schoen
09-30-2009, 04:50 AM
got done at different dealer it cost 20, but it was better then the 160 they wanted for the puller... thanks for the info